Re: [S-R] Petrek - Dolyan, Gonda -Gorgo?

  • William C. Wormuth
    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 3, 2012
      Gögő is Hrhov: http://www.hrhov.sk/sk/

      Do not confuse with Spis~sky Hrhov

      Dolyn id Dol'any :https://www.dolany.sk/index.php/en/

      Z Bohom,

      Vilo

      ________________________________
      From: Jane Murray <jmurray6475@...>
      To: "SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com" <SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com>
      Sent: Sunday, June 3, 2012 8:56 PM
      Subject: [S-R] Petrek - Dolyan, Gonda -Gorgo?

      I would like to know where Dolyan and Gorgo (the accents are omitted over the letters, sorry).  The information is listed on the following page on the Family Search index.
      LDS records Levoca 1885-1895,  #78 Veronica born to Jacob Petrek and Elizabetha Gonda. Volume 336 Item 4, Roll 59, Image 591.  I did a "google" search for Dolyan and came up with four listings for Dolina, Slovakia.  Could these location be in other countries other than present day Slovakia?

      I would also like to thank those that assisted with connecting me to the records for Uloza & Zavada.  I have found my entire famly, they eventually moved Levoca in 1878 before coming to America in 1898.  Your help is wonderful.

      Sincerely, Jane

    • Michael Mojher
      Message 2 of 9 , Jun 3, 2012
        Jane,
        In the 1995 Slovak Census the word Dolyan is not a surname, it is a place. It is in the orkes/district of Levoca -
        398 Doľany LE/PV spiš. po 1882–1900 zlúč. s o. Končany (po 1900 pričl. k o. Klčov); 1924 pričl. o. Rožkovce.
        1773 Dolyan, Dolan, 1786, 1863 Dolyan, 1808 Dolyán, Dolany, 1873–1877, 1902–1913 Dolyán, 1888–1900 Koncsándolyán, 1920– Doľany

        http://en.e-obce.sk/obec/dolany-levoca/dolany.html Information page on Dolany. From the town symbol I have to presume that this is the birth place of St. George, the dragon slayer.
        The same holds for Gorgo, another village in orkes/district Levoca
        2205 Spišský Hrhov LE/PV spiš.
        1773 Görgő, Gorg, Harhow, 1786 Görgő, Gorg, Harhow, 1808 Görgő, Gergő, Garg, Harchow, 1863–1913 Görgő, 1920–1948 Harhov, 1948– Spišský Hrhov

        http://en.e-obce.sk/obec/spisskyhrhov/spissky-hrhov.html Information page.

        Both villages are within 5 miles of Levoca.

        The surname Gonda in the 1995 Slovak Census – 1261 in 267 places. The #1 and #3 places are in Orkes Spisska Nova Ves, which is near Levoca.
        Priezvisko GONDA sa na Slovensku v roku 1995 nachádzalo 1261×, celkový počet lokalít: 267, najčastejšie výskyty v lokalitách:
        SPIŠSKÁ NOVÁ VES, okr. SPIŠSKÁ NOVÁ VES – 62×;
        ZVOLEN, okr. ZVOLEN – 59×;
        DOMAŇOVCE, okr. SPIŠSKÁ NOVÁ VES (od r. 1996 LEVOČA) – 38×;

        Petrek has these results -
        Priezvisko PETREK sa na Slovensku v roku 1995 nachádzalo 531×, celkový počet lokalít: 124, najčastejšie výskyty v lokalitách:
        SPIŠSKÁ NOVÁ VES, okr. SPIŠSKÁ NOVÁ VES – 25×;
        LEVOČA, okr. SPIŠSKÁ NOVÁ VES (od r. 1996 LEVOČA) – 14×;
        LETANOVCE, okr. SPIŠSKÁ NOVÁ VES – 13×;
        So in the area of your villages both names have a strong presence.

        Message 3 of 9 , Jun 3, 2012
          Elizabetha Gonda is probably from Spis~sky Hrhov : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spi%C5%A1sk%C3%BD_Hrhov

          Jakub Petrek: http://telefonny.zoznam.sk/Petrek/slovensko/

          Z Bohom,

          Vilo

          ________________________________

          Message 4 of 9 , Jun 3, 2012
            >>> I would like to know where Dolyan and Gorgo <<<

            Refer to the 1910 Szepes Megye map and you will see the answers. http://lazarus.elte.hu/hun/maps/1910/szepes.jpg
          • Michael Mojher
            Message 5 of 9 , Jun 3, 2012
              Vilo,
              I have to respectively disagree that your hrhov.sk is the town that is being relevant to the search. Spišské Hrhov and Dolany are almost neighboring villages. Where as Hrhov is many miles to the south.

              Message 6 of 9 , Jun 3, 2012
                Michael,
                Thanks Michael, I didn't take offense I looked up Görgő in volume 3, Vlastivedny Slovnik Obci na Slovensku and it gave Hrhov as the Slovak Town name.  After looking up the name in the Slovak telefon direktory, I found the Gonda name in Sps!~sky Hrhov and changed my original emal.  Spis~sky Hrhov had the same Hungarian Görgő.???  The real error is that they don't list 2 towns This is the first "error",  I have found in these books.

                The name Gonda sounded like an Eastern Slovakia one , which gave me confidence.

                Z Bohom,

                Vilo

                Message 7 of 9 , Jun 5, 2012
                  To all that assisted, thank you.  I have a basis to look at the records now.  I am not sure how to say thank you in Slovak, but whatever it is "Thank you"  I wish my grandparents were alive, they could at least write and tell me how to phrase words.
                  Sincerely, Jane

                  Message 8 of 9 , Jun 5, 2012
                    Dakujem is thank you. The trick is the “D” is said like the “th” in thick.