Re: [S-R] New Resources you have found

  • htcstech
    Message 1 of 14 , Jun 2, 2012
      Database Online:
      http://193.224.149.8/adatbazisokol/
      Much easier front-end to use than MOL. Shuts down over Hungarian holidays.
      Includes detailed 1715 and 1720 tax records with manuscript, although this
      is not needed as everthing has been transcribed. Pre-Trianon Hungary. In In
      In Hungarian only.
      Also contains catalogs (no manuscripts) of holdings (letters, church
      records etc).

      On 3 June 2012 11:16, Bill Tarkulich <bill.tarkulich@...> wrote:

      > **
      >

      > I am going to start to updated my web site (iabsi.com) with new or changed
      > resources. If you have found useful resources, please reply to this group.
      > I know there has been chatter on this group, but I have not been following
      > the discussion.
      >
      > If we don't have a central repository which is up to date, we all suffer.
      >
      > I am also going to update broken links.
      >
      > Thanks,
      >
      > Bill

    • htcstech
      Message 2 of 14 , Jun 2, 2012
        This should be the last one from me:
        This is the Forum Institute. A Slovak-Magyar site with extensive
        publications (in Hungarian and some Slovak) about Southern Slovak towns and
        villages that it considers to be ethnically Magyar.
        You can get detailed local village histories (includes name lists within
        the pdf publications. Also has deportee lists post WWII, some original
        documentation etc in manuscript form in a web viewer.
        http://www.foruminst.sk/en/67/search
        Type in a village name.- That's it, though a lot of information is hidden
        within publications.

        Although the site states it has English capability, it's not consistent so
        a knowledge of Slovak or Magyar would be beneficial.

        It does have images of war memorials of many towns that list those who died
        in WWI, WWII and deportees.
        If I can find the deportee lists then I'll post about this site once more.

        Peter M.

        On 3 June 2012 11:16, Bill Tarkulich <bill.tarkulich@...> wrote:

        > **
        >

        > I am going to start to updated my web site (iabsi.com) with new or changed
        > resources. If you have found useful resources, please reply to this group.
        > I know there has been chatter on this group, but I have not been following
        > the discussion.
        >
        > If we don't have a central repository which is up to date, we all suffer.
        >
        > I am also going to update broken links.
        >
        > Thanks,
        >
        > Bill

      • htcstech
        Message 3 of 14 , Jun 2, 2012
          Here it is: Type the name into the search field or use the (very small) abc
          listing to find your village. Images (jpg) show deportees circa 1946.
          http://www.foruminst.sk/hu/63/dokumentumtar/2/a_lakossagcsere_kereteben_magyarorszagi_attelepitesre_kijelolt_szlovakiai_magyarok_nevjegyzekei_1946
          Just click the PLUS sign to magnify.

          Peter M.

          On 3 June 2012 14:27, htcstech <htcstech@...> wrote:

          > This should be the last one from me:
          > This is the Forum Institute. A Slovak-Magyar site with extensive
          > publications (in Hungarian and some Slovak) about Southern Slovak towns and
          > villages that it considers to be ethnically Magyar.
          > You can get detailed local village histories (includes name lists within
          > the pdf publications. Also has deportee lists post WWII, some original
          > documentation etc in manuscript form in a web viewer.
          > http://www.foruminst.sk/en/67/search
          > Type in a village name.- That's it, though a lot of information is hidden
          > within publications.
          >
          > Although the site states it has English capability, it's not consistent so
          > a knowledge of Slovak or Magyar would be beneficial.
          >
          > It does have images of war memorials of many towns that list those who
          > died in WWI, WWII and deportees.
          > If I can find the deportee lists then I'll post about this site once more.
          >
          > Peter M.
          >

          > On 3 June 2012 11:16, Bill Tarkulich <bill.tarkulich@...> wrote:
          >
          >> **
          >>

          >> I am going to start to updated my web site (iabsi.com) with new or
          >> changed
          >> resources. If you have found useful resources, please reply to this group.
          >> I know there has been chatter on this group, but I have not been following
          >> the discussion.
          >>
          >> If we don't have a central repository which is up to date, we all suffer.
          >>
          >> I am also going to update broken links.
          >>
          >> Thanks,
          >>
          >> Bill

        • Sharon Danko
          Message 4 of 14 , Jun 2, 2012
            These aren’t the same pages that Family Search has posted are they? I entered my Slovak families village and several items popped up, what exactly will I be looking at?

            Thanks,

            Sharon

            Moravian Public Registers - Czech, German, English
            http://matriky.archives.cz/matriky_lite/MenuBar.action;jsessionid=03A003D8516984EC633C4382594D3C0C?activ=HLEDANI

            Useful if you are Moravian :)

            On 3 June 2012 11:16, Bill Tarkulich <bill.tarkulich@... <mailto:bill.tarkulich%40iabsi.com> > wrote:

            > **
            >

            > I am going to start to updated my web site (iabsi.com) with new or changed
            > resources. If you have found useful resources, please reply to this group.
            > I know there has been chatter on this group, but I have not been following
            > the discussion.
            >
            > If we don't have a central repository which is up to date, we all suffer.
            >
            > I am also going to update broken links.
            >
            > Thanks,
            >
            > Bill

          • spoppclark
            Message 5 of 14 , Jun 3, 2012
              I've had great results on late 19th/early 20th c. immigrants using the digitized New York newspapers at Old Fulton Postcards (http://www.fultonhistory.com/). Since names were spelled/misspelled so many ways I search by location paired with ethnicity, church or fraternal organization.

              > I am going to start to updated my web site (iabsi.com) with new or changed
              > resources. If you have found useful resources, please reply to this group.
              > I know there has been chatter on this group, but I have not been following
              > the discussion.
              >
              > If we don't have a central repository which is up to date, we all suffer.
              >

              > I am also going to update broken links.
              >

              > Thanks,
              >

              > Bill

            • Michele Baker
              Message 6 of 14 , Jun 3, 2012
                Vilo,

                Bill's website and contributions over many years has been invaluable to many of
                us in our research. Yes, he has a great site. He was also a list moderator -
                sorry Bill I have forgotten which list - before he turned it over to others.

                Michele

                _____

                Message 7 of 14 , Jun 3, 2012
                  Bill,

                  http://telefonny.zoznam.sk/%c2%a0%c2%a0%c2%a0

                  This is valuable for finding names in Slovakia making comparisons for verification in finding villages.  I just used this in verifying a town, listed here as Hrhov and found the name was prevalent in Spis~sky Hrhov

                  Z Bohom,

                  Vilo