Re: [S-R] Re: "Slavish" means Carpatho-Rusyn?

  • William C. Wormuth
    Message 1 of 16 , Jun 1, 2012
      Ron,

      Our people used Slovak [Sloh-vahk]  but in later years when I traveled around among Slovaks here it disturbed me when people use Slovak [Sloh-vehk].

      S Panem Bohom,

      Vilo

      ________________________________
      Message 2 of 16 , Jun 1, 2012
        In that same vein i why does it bother me when people say Slovakian instead of Slovak? but it does.

        helene

        Message 3 of 16 , Jun 1, 2012
          Just remember, there are two kind of people in this world. Slovak, and those who wish they were.

          From: helene cincebeaux <helenezx@...>
          Sender: SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com
          Date: Fri, 1 Jun 2012 18:11:22
          To: <SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com>
          Subject: Re: [S-R] Re: "Slavish" means Carpatho-Rusyn?

          Message 4 of 16 , Jun 1, 2012
            Dear Helene,
            Me too!
            Our people came here to work as slaves and the population in the local, had little to no respect for our people.  Here were known, "on the streets" as Dumb "Round-heads", Italians, "Ginnies" or "Wops.

            Slovak people were used to this kind of treatment as Magyrs refered to our people as "Buta Toth" [Buhtah-Toht] which translates as Silly Slovaks but is more demeaning.  I always laughed when thinking about my grandfather being a stupid round-head, since he read and wrote, Slovak, Hungarian, Low German, High German and English, was a floor manager in a leather mill, worked in a casket factory, was a game protector, etc

            S Panem Bohem,

            Vilo

            Message 5 of 16 , Jun 2, 2012
              Me, too. It makes me want to scream.

              Message 6 of 16 , Jun 2, 2012
                That was my brother's favorite saying.

                Just remember, there are two kind of people in this world. Slovak, and those who wish they were.

                From: helene cincebeaux <helenezx@...>
                Sender: SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com
                Date: Fri, 1 Jun 2012 18:11:22
                To: <SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com>