"Slavish" means Carpatho-Rusyn?

  • sarah.sundquist@sbcglobal.net
    Message 1 of 16 , May 31, 2012
      I am seeing a lot of references to the use of the word "Slavish" as an identifier means specifically Carpatho-Rusyn. Does anyone have an opinion on how true that is?
    • Maxine
      Message 2 of 16 , May 31, 2012
        Slavish and Carpatho-Rusyn ARE THE SAME people. The Carpatho part means that
        the Slavish people LIVED in the Carpatho mountains. Lemko people are
        Rusyn/Slavish people who live in the south of Poland. Maxine sasala

        I am seeing a lot of references to the use of the word "Slavish" as an
        identifier means specifically Carpatho-Rusyn. Does anyone have an opinion on
        how true that is?

      • htcstech
        Message 3 of 16 , May 31, 2012
          Not necessarily. It refers to all slavic races, of which there are many.
          Also Slavik (Szlavik) sometimes refers to a bird.

          On 1 June 2012 04:40, sarah.sundquist@... <
          sarah.sundquist@...> wrote:

          > **
          >

          > I am seeing a lot of references to the use of the word "Slavish" as an
          > identifier means specifically Carpatho-Rusyn. Does anyone have an opinion
          > on how true that is?

        • Corinne C. Musto
          Message 4 of 16 , May 31, 2012
            Hello,

            This website gives some good information.

            Corinne

            http://www.pitt.edu/~votruba/qsonhist/slavicslovak.html

            ________________________________
            I am seeing a lot of references to the use of the word "Slavish" as an identifier means specifically Carpatho-Rusyn.  Does anyone have an opinion on how true that is?

          • r.helms
            Message 5 of 16 , May 31, 2012
              I have never heard the word slavish, except in reference to slavery. My Aunt Anna was Slovak (parents where from Slovakia) and she was married to Uncle Frank who was Slavic (he came from Yugoslavia), I was told, by my Aunt, to never mix them up.

            • david1law@aol.com
              Message 6 of 16 , May 31, 2012
                Hello:

                Here is a good link to the Slovak Studies Program at the University of
                Pittsburgh that may shed some light as to the various names for the Slavic
                people as well as how it relates to the word "slavery":

                _http://www.pitt.edu/~votruba/qsonhist/slavicslovak.html_
                (http://www.pitt.edu/~votruba/qsonhist/slavicslovak.html)

                I hope that this helps a little.

                Best regards,

                David

                --- In _SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com_ (mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com)
                , "Corinne C. Musto" <gershwin417@...> wrote:

                > Hello,
                >
                > This website gives some good information.
                >
                > Corinne
                >

                > _http://www.pitt.edu/~votruba/qsonhist/slavicslovak.html_
                (http://www.pitt.edu/~votruba/qsonhist/slavicslovak.html)

                > ________________________________

                _http://www.yahoogroups.com/group/SLOVAK-ROOTS_ (http://www.yahoogroups.com/group/SLOVAK-ROOTS) -or- send

              • r.helms
                Message 7 of 16 , May 31, 2012
                  Carpatho-Rusyn, I thought, was more of a dialect of the area where Slovakia, Hungary, Poland, etc. all came together.

                  --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "r.helms" <r.helms@...> wrote:

                  > I have never heard the word slavish, except in reference to slavery. My Aunt Anna was Slovak (parents where from Slovakia) and she was married to Uncle Frank who was Slavic (he came from Yugoslavia), I was told, by my Aunt, to never mix them up.
                  >
                  > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Corinne C. Musto" <gershwin417@> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Hello,
                  > >
                  > > This website gives some good information.
                  > >
                  > > Corinne
                  > >

                  > > http://www.pitt.edu/~votruba/qsonhist/slavicslovak.html
                  > >

                  > > ________________________________

                • William C. Wormuth
                  Message 8 of 16 , May 31, 2012
                    Slavish is an American word for identifying any "Slav" nationality.  I have been searching local newspapers from 1907 and that word is used to identify our Slovaks.  It was common for Americans to use the word.  I live in Johnstown, NY .

                    Z Bohom,

                    Vilo

                    ________________________________

                    Message 9 of 16 , Jun 1, 2012
                      I borrowed directly from the site David lists below:
                      *********
                      Slavish, Slovac, Slavack...

                      When the immigrants used English in the 19th and early 20th centuries, they were often as uncertain of the English versions of their ethnic names as the Americans were confounded by the similarity. In addition to calling their fraternals and parishes Slovak, some Slovak-Americans would name them Slovac and Slavish. The word Slovak generally replaced other versions in the names of Slovak-American organizations by the mid-1920s. Although not as common in Slovak-American documents, English-language sources also used Slavack, Slovish, and similar words. Context is usually required to clarify whether the reference was to the Slovaks, Slavs, or Slovenes.
                      *******

                      I have one cousin who uses Slavish to this day to refer to us. I always took it as old time immigrant language, much as references to Slovakland, which were quite clear in meaning when used so long ago.

                      The English word slavish as in slavish devotion, I always associated with old slavery as well, but have never studied the etymology. Jumping to conclusions from simple similarity can be dangerous, as associating Germs with Germany.

                      During this ongoing visit to Eastern Slovakia I have been getting good exercise to my poor command of Slovak, but am improving. They Rusyn I am exposed to is quite different. The Easter Slovak dialect, however, presents no problem.

                      That is one experience.

                      Vilo, do you find the use only in English, or was it used by the old immigrants you knew over here?

                      Ron

                      --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, david1law@... wrote:

                      > Hello:
                      >
                      > Here is a good link to the Slovak Studies Program at the University of
                      > Pittsburgh that may shed some light as to the various names for the Slavic
                      > people as well as how it relates to the word "slavery":
                      >
                      > _http://www.pitt.edu/~votruba/qsonhist/slavicslovak.html_
                      > (http://www.pitt.edu/~votruba/qsonhist/slavicslovak.html)
                      >
                      > I hope that this helps a little.
                      >
                      > Best regards,
                      >
                      > David
                      >

                      > In a message dated 5/31/2012 8:50:20 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
                      > r.helms@... writes:
                      >

                      > I have never heard the word slavish, except in reference to slavery. My
                      > Aunt Anna was Slovak (parents where from Slovakia) and she was married to
                      > Uncle Frank who was Slavic (he came from Yugoslavia), I was told, by my Aunt,
                      > to never mix them up.
                      >
                      > --- In _SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com_ (mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com)
                      > , "Corinne C. Musto" <gershwin417@> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > Hello,
                      > >
                      > > This website gives some good information.
                      > >
                      > > Corinne
                      > >

                      > > _http://www.pitt.edu/~votruba/qsonhist/slavicslovak.html_
                      > (http://www.pitt.edu/~votruba/qsonhist/slavicslovak.html)
                      > >

                      > > ________________________________

                    • helene cincebeaux
                      Message 10 of 16 , Jun 1, 2012
                        In Binghamton NY people were called "Slavish"

                        there were many immigrants working in the E J shoe factory

                        They came from Slovakia and Moravian Slovakia.

                        I think it was a name used then somewhat like the Amish in the US use the term "English' for everyone who isn't Amish.

                        Likely the locals took Slavic as in Slavic peoples and mangled it and called the language they didnt understand a generic "Slavish".

                        i never heard of a connect ion with Rusyns - now Russian that is one you hear a lot for Rusyn.

                        helene

                        Message 11 of 16 , Jun 1, 2012
                          Ron,

                          Our people used Slovak [Sloh-vahk]  but in later years when I traveled around among Slovaks here it disturbed me when people use Slovak [Sloh-vehk].

                          S Panem Bohom,

                          Vilo

                          ________________________________

                          Message 12 of 16 , Jun 1, 2012
                            In that same vein i why does it bother me when people say Slovakian instead of Slovak? but it does.

                            helene

                            Message 13 of 16 , Jun 1, 2012
                              Just remember, there are two kind of people in this world. Slovak, and those who wish they were.

                              From: helene cincebeaux <helenezx@...>
                              Sender: SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com
                              Date: Fri, 1 Jun 2012 18:11:22
                              To: <SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com>
                              Subject: Re: [S-R] Re: "Slavish" means Carpatho-Rusyn?

                              Message 14 of 16 , Jun 1, 2012
                                Dear Helene,
                                Me too!
                                Our people came here to work as slaves and the population in the local, had little to no respect for our people.  Here were known, "on the streets" as Dumb "Round-heads", Italians, "Ginnies" or "Wops.

                                Slovak people were used to this kind of treatment as Magyrs refered to our people as "Buta Toth" [Buhtah-Toht] which translates as Silly Slovaks but is more demeaning.  I always laughed when thinking about my grandfather being a stupid round-head, since he read and wrote, Slovak, Hungarian, Low German, High German and English, was a floor manager in a leather mill, worked in a casket factory, was a game protector, etc

                                S Panem Bohem,

                                Vilo

                                Message 15 of 16 , Jun 2, 2012
                                  Me, too. It makes me want to scream.

                                  Message 16 of 16 , Jun 2, 2012
                                    That was my brother's favorite saying.

                                    Just remember, there are two kind of people in this world. Slovak, and those who wish they were.

                                    From: helene cincebeaux <helenezx@...>
                                    Sender: SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com
                                    Date: Fri, 1 Jun 2012 18:11:22
                                    To: <SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com>