Intro message: Kritzo, Gallo, Chicago, Pittsburgh.

  • sarah.sundquist@sbcglobal.net
    Message 1 of 9 , May 31, 2012
      Hello!

      I am here to try to figure out some of my husband's ancestry, which looks to be Slovak.

      Family oral history: The couple in question (John Kritzo [b. around 1869] and Francis Gallo [b. around 1878]) both emigrated from Austria and met in Chicago, where they were married. They then moved to Pennsylvania.

      What I know: They are on the 1910 census (but name looks like Kntzo) living in PA. Birthplace listed as "Aust-Slovak" for both. Language listed as Polish for both. On 1920 census, birthplace listed as Czecho-Slovak for both, language "Slavish"?. 1930 census, birthplace listed as Czechoslovakia, language spoken listed as Slovak. Birthplace of Francis Gallo reported on this census as Germany! The children are correct on all of these census entries, so I know that it is the right people.

      Arrivals listed as from Canada, range of dates reported around 1893-1895.

      Questions: Are these people Slovakian? Their surnames don't seem Slovakian, have they been anglicized?

      Thanks for any insight you might have!

      Sarah
    • John
      Message 2 of 9 , May 31, 2012
        Galo comes up with plenty of Slovak examples. Kritzo was not found. HOWEVER, Cisarik has a number of places where Kristo/Kriszto brings up possibilities.

        Though sheer speculation, make a first assumption that the marriage was pre-arranged and that Kritzo/Kriszto and Gallo/Galo came from the same or adjacent villages.

        The Cisarik web site has three possibilities for similar surnames.

        Košťany nad Turcom has Krisztof and Galo.

        Hrabovka has Galo and Krsko/Krszko and Krysztof.

        Hetméň has Gal/Gálová, Gallo and Krisztof.

        You might want to pick a religion and check the church records to see if anything fits.
      • sarah.sundquist@sbcglobal.net
        Message 3 of 9 , May 31, 2012
          Well, family oral history has it that it was indeed pre-arranged, so that's a good suggestion.

          > Galo comes up with plenty of Slovak examples. Kritzo was not found. HOWEVER, Cisarik has a number of places where Kristo/Kriszto brings up possibilities.
          >
          > Though sheer speculation, make a first assumption that the marriage was pre-arranged and that Kritzo/Kriszto and Gallo/Galo came from the same or adjacent villages.
          >
          > The Cisarik web site has three possibilities for similar surnames.
          >
          > Košťany nad Turcom has Krisztof and Galo.
          >
          > Hrabovka has Galo and Krsko/Krszko and Krysztof.
          >
          > Hetméň has Gal/Gálová, Gallo and Krisztof.
          >
          > You might want to pick a religion and check the church records to see if anything fits.

        • Michael Mojher

            Message 5 of 9 , May 31, 2012
              I can tell that I am going to be on a steep learning curve here because the diacritical marks are completely foreign to me. Does the phonetic pronunciation "kritzo" sound like one of the spellings more than another if you take into account the diacritical marks?

              > In the 1995 Slovak Census they have no Kritzo, but they do have Krizo with two spelling because of diacritical marks. One spelling has 108 listings in 44 locations. And the other 48 listings in 16 places. Gallo has 980 listings in 225 locations.

            • Michael Mojher
              Message 6 of 9 , May 31, 2012
                KRIŽO KRÍŽO Unfortunately someone else is going to have to explain how the two are pronounced.

                I can tell that I am going to be on a steep learning curve here because the diacritical marks are completely foreign to me. Does the phonetic pronunciation "kritzo" sound like one of the spellings more than another if you take into account the diacritical marks?

                > In the 1995 Slovak Census they have no Kritzo, but they do have Krizo with two spelling because of diacritical marks. One spelling has 108 listings in 44 locations. And the other 48 listings in 16 places. Gallo has 980 listings in 225 locations.

              • Caye Caswick
                Message 7 of 9 , May 31, 2012

                  Sara, I'm leaving work now, but I did find them in one of the US censuses on www.familysearch.org

                  I also found my grandparent's marriage certificate (married in Chicago) -- but the spellings were a tad off -- so you might toss a wildcard "*" into the mix.

                  Once I found that, I found death certificates, addresses, their parent's names, etc.

                  Cannot say enough about familysearch.org -- good luck.

                  Caye

                  ________________________________
                  I can tell that I am going to be on a steep learning curve here because the diacritical marks are completely foreign to me. Does the phonetic pronunciation "kritzo" sound like one of the spellings more than another if you take into account the diacritical marks?

                  > In the 1995 Slovak Census they have no Kritzo, but they do have Krizo with two spelling because of diacritical marks. One spelling has 108 listings in 44 locations. And the other 48 listings in 16 places. Gallo has 980 listings in 225 locations.

                • Sarah Sundquist
                  Message 8 of 9 , May 31, 2012
                    Caye, thank you so much! Do you know if the set of records on familysearch.org is different than on Ancestry.com? I have done most of my research at Ancestry (which is where I got all of the census records). I just don't seem to be able to find them prior to 1910.

                    -Sarah

                    On May 31, 2012, at 3:54 PM, Caye Caswick <ccaswick@...> wrote:

                    > Sara, I'm leaving work now, but I did find them in one of the US censuses on www.familysearch.org
                    >
                    > I also found my grandparent's marriage certificate (married in Chicago) -- but the spellings were a tad off -- so you might toss a wildcard "*" into the mix.
                    >
                    > Once I found that, I found death certificates, addresses, their parent's names, etc.
                    >
                    > Cannot say enough about familysearch.org -- good luck.
                    >

                    > Caye

                  • Caye Caswick
                    Message 9 of 9 , May 31, 2012
                      No, they are similar (and overlapping on census records) but FamilySearch includes marriage and death records -- especially for the Chicago area.  Not sure about Pennsylvania, but I can probably look more tomorrow and/or next week for you.

                      They likely immigrated somewhere around the turn of the century -- so there wouldn't be much before what you are finding -- if he was born in 1869 he probably got married around 1899 or later forgot when his wife was born, but I seem to remember she was younger, so it was likely after the turn of the Century -- in which case the first census would then have been 1910.

                      Let me know if you find anything else tomorrow and that should remind me to see what else I can come up with for you.

                      Germany/Austria-Hungary (Empire) was dominant then, so don't be surprised by seeing German on the Census records.  When I was a kid and asked my grandmother where she was from she would usually reply, "That depends on which country took over that week."