Re: [S-R] need info

  • Marsha Sumner
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 17, 2001
      on 3/17/01 7:22 AM, krejc@... at krejc@... wrote:

      > hello list,
      > so often i see Ing. before a name. does anyone know what this title is?
      > or, if not title, is it an abbreviation for a given name?
      > thank you
      > noreen

      Noreen,

      It is an abbreviation for inguinalis, meaning a local or resident of.

      Marsha
    • Judy (& Dr. Joe) Quashnock
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 17, 2001
        If you are looking at a present day name in Europe such Ing. John Smith, it
        is a "title" equivalent to professional engineer in the U.S. However, it is
        no longer reserved for just engineers now, so it is similar to a board
        certification in a profession.

        If the "ing" is an abbreviation in an old birth record, it stands for a
        farmer similar to a share cropper.

        Dr. "Q"

        (P.S. your shift key isn't working very well)

      • krejc@aol.com
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 17, 2001
          thank you, marsha
          noreen
        • krejc@aol.com
          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 17, 2001
            Dr. "Q"
            thank you for the information on Ing.
            i am starting to correspond with someone in Slovakia and he has used Ing.
            before his name, so i believe that the professional engineer is appropriate
            in his case.

            oh, my keyboard is fine. it is the writer who is too lazy to capitalize when
            she should.
            thanks again.
            noreen