Livovska Huta

  • Alison Prainito
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 16, 2001
      Thanks for all the replies to my query. One question that was asked of me was the religion of my family. They are R.C. I was told that Church registers are available. Do I have to get them from the LDS?
      Alison

    • John
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 16, 2001
        At 07:52 AM 3/16/01 -0500, you wrote:
        >Thanks for all the replies to my query. One question that was asked of me
        >was the religion of my family. They are R.C. I was told that Church
        >registers are available. Do I have to get them from the LDS?
        >Alison

        Alison, I know there's a Greek Catholic church in Livov, which is down the
        road a mile or two, but I'm not sure if there's a Roman Catholic church
        there. I missed seeing the Orthodox church that Joe Q. mentioned when I
        was there in September of 1999. I believe I have video of the area. It is
        a beautiful village nestled in a forested valley area. I believe most of
        the occupants now are elderly. The younger people have moved to the cities
        and towns as they have almost everywhere in the world. As an aside, I'm
        told that towns with Huta affixed to the name are towns where there was a
        melting facility like a glass factory. I know there was one in my mother's
        town but somehow the Huta never was applied. They told me the sand for the
        glass came by wagon from the Bardejov area.

        The area was primarily GC. When the communists took over there was a
        movement to change many of the GC churches in the area from Catholic to
        Orthodox (Pravosla'vny). Mass was said in Church Slavonic. Icons and no
        musical instruments are also a part of the GC and O churches. There is a
        difference in form but not too much in function. My mother lived over the
        hill to the east of Livov in a village called Kriz^e. The pastor from
        Livov would travel to Krize for services. I haven't been to the LDS lately
        but I have the microfilms on permanent loan (I think) and I know the
        microfilmed GC church records for Livovská Huta,, Livov, and Kriz^e are on
        the same film. If you give me the name and dates you're looking for, I'll
        check the films the next time I go to the LDS. You can send it to me in a
        private message if you prefer.

        John
      • frankur@att.net
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 17, 2001
          --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@y..., "Alison Prainito" <prainito@h...> wrote:
          > Thanks for all the replies to my query. One question that was asked
          of me was the religion of my family. They are R.C. I was told that
          Church registers are available. Do I have to get them from the LDS?
          > Alison

          I had mentioned their availability.
          Yes.

          In Slovak the word 'huta' means smelter(y), works.

          The LDS-Mormons filmed the R.C. parish church records (1792-1899)
          for Livovská Huta and Livov.
          Listed under Lenartov, okres(district) Bardejov; formerly Lénártó (H),
          Sáros Megye (county), Hungary.
          Text in Latin and Hungarian.

          FHL film #
          1792642