Re: looking for

  • frankur@att.net
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 15 6:14 PM
      --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@y..., connie ruley <connie_ruley@y...> wrote:
      > hi my name is connie ruley i need some help trying to
      > fine some places over in austria 1]a place called
      > knurow,austria there is a couple of places i think
      > that is in poland-gortzica,augustow,suwalki the papers
      > say russia,poland i hope that this makes sense to you
      > if any one can help me i would reaay appriate. thank
      > you connie

      All your placenames are now located in Poland, including Knurow.

      Knurow was located in former Austrian-Poland.
      Augustow (there are 8), Gortzica and Suwalki were located in
      former Russian-Poland.

      Knurow is located over the NE Slovakia border near Zakopane, Poland
      and 23 miles north of Stary' Smokovec (Poprad region of Slovakia)
      The pre-WWI records will have been written in German (Austrian) and
      perhaps in Polish.

      Gorczca is located 18 miles from Suwalki.
      Augustow is located i8 miles south of Suwalki.
      This area is near the current western Polish border with Russia,
      Lithuania, and Belarus.
      The pre-WWI records will have been written in Russian Cyrillic and
      perhaps in Polish.

      From the late 1700s until the end of WW I, Poland did not exist as a
      country. It was divided among the Russian, German (Prussian), and
      Austrian Empires. These divisions were known as Partitions.
      There was Russian-Poland, German-Poland, and Austrian-Poland..

      Russian-Poland

      Russia had obtained White Russia and Latvian Lithuania to the Dnieper
      and Dvina rivers in the First Partition of Poland (1792)
      In the Second Partition, Russia took most of the western Ukraine,
      including Podolia and a part of Volhynia, and all of the eastern part
      of Lithuania, also obtaining the right to move its troops into what
      remained of Poland and control its foreign policy.
      Russia acquired the rest of Lithuania and the Ukraine, the remainder
      of Volhynia, and the Duchy of Courland in the Third Partition (1795)
      Warsaw and the surrounding area was under Prussian rule until 1815,
      when the Congress Kingdom of Poland comes into being under Russian
      rule. The former provinces of Grodno, Kalicz, Kielce, Lublin, Lodz,
      Lomza,Plock, Radom, Siedlce, and Suwalki were among those areas
      annexed by the Russian Government.

      The former Russian Empire included Poland, Lithuania, Latvia ,
      Estonia , Belarus (Bylorussia), and parts of the Ukraine.

      Austrian-Poland

      By the First Partition ( 1792) of Poland, Austria had obtained Galicia
      (consisting of Red Russia, the city of Lemberg [Lwów], a part of
      western Podolia, and southern Little Poland).
      Austria did not take any Polish land in the Second Partition.
      During the Third Partition (1795) of Poland, Austria took the
      remainder of Little Poland and Kraków.

      The southern Polish territories around Kraków and Lwów were
      incorporated into the Austrian Empire and renamed "Galicia".

      Galicia was formerly a Austrian Crownland and part of Austro-Hungarian
      Monarchy(1867-1918). Sometimes referred to as Austrian Poland.
      Other names for the area were Galicja (Polish), Galizien (German),
      Halychyna (Ukrainian) and Rus Halicka (Polish).

      In 1918, Galicia was annexed to Poland as "Malopolska" (Little
      Poland)
      After the 1939 partition of Poland by Germany and Russia, East Galicia
      became part of Ukraine while West Galicia remained in Poland.
      Its former territories are now shared between southern Poland and
      the Ukraine.