(no subject)

  • William F Brna
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 25, 1999
      I am a new subscriber to SLOVAK-ROOTS. While previously researching the
      family name in the Family History Center in Greentree, PA, I met Anabeth
      Dollins who gave me the e-mail address of Paul Brna, who lives in
      Northbrook, IL. I had previously met him (in 1956) when I had first
      moved to Chicago. At the time I was looking up the name Andrej Brna who
      was born about 1809. When I mentioned the name to the librarian,
      Anabeth, whom I did not know at the time, told me that Andrew Brna had
      been a partner with her grandfather in a tailor shop. Obviously, we were
      not talking about the same Andrej Brna. The mention in the FHS was
      apparently a dead end since I could find out no more other than he lived
      in Hungary, married Anna Kapustova about 1841. They had a daughter,also
      named Anna, born about 1842. Whether there were other children, I do not
      know.

      In any case, I didn't get to thank Anabeth for steering me to Paul Brna.
      At the present time, I have no idea whether there is a relationship
      between his family and mine.

      My father, Josef Brna, was born in Liesek, in what is now Slovakia on
      November 1, 1888. His parents were Michael Brna and Mary Kubus Brna. I
      know nothing further about my grandparents, at this time. He came to
      this country with four brothers, John, Thomas, Stephen and Matthew,
      Stephen and Matthew did not like it here and returned to Slovakia.
      Matthew reportedly was driving horses to Russia about the First World War
      and was not heard from again.

      While I was growing up, the only Brnas that I knew were those in my
      immediate family and the families of my two uncles. I have since learned
      that the name is not all that uncommon. In addition to the Brnas in
      Chicago, I have also learned of a Josef Brna, who finally settled in
      Emporia, VA, and whose descendants I have also been in contact with. One
      of his sons, George, and his wife, Mary, are written up in the Maryland
      Genealogical Society Bulletin (Broderbund CD #208). If someone has this
      CD, I would appreciate yoour e-mailing these biographies to me.

      I learned of SLOVAk-ROOTS today and hope that I will get more benefit
      from subscribing to this list rather than SLOVAK WORLD. I am not
      interested in the various side issues that the members of SLOVAK WORLD
      seem to enjoy.

      If anyone can help me in my research on my father's family, I would
      certainly appreciate it. I am retired and have only recently become
      interested in my family history. It is a pity that I could not have
      begun to be interested while my parents and uncles were still living, but
      that's the way it goes, I guess.

      William F. Brna