looking for

  • connie ruley
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 15, 2001
      hi my name is connie ruley i need some help trying to
      fine some places over in austria 1]a place called
      knurow,austria there is a couple of places i think
      that is in poland-gortzica,augustow,suwalki the papers
      say russia,poland i hope that this makes sense to you
      if any one can help me i would reaay appriate. thank
      you connie

      http://auctions.yahoo.com/
    • frankur@att.net
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 15, 2001
        --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@y..., connie ruley <connie_ruley@y...> wrote:
        > hi my name is connie ruley i need some help trying to
        > fine some places over in austria 1]a place called
        > knurow,austria there is a couple of places i think
        > that is in poland-gortzica,augustow,suwalki the papers
        > say russia,poland i hope that this makes sense to you
        > if any one can help me i would reaay appriate. thank
        > you connie

        All your placenames are now located in Poland, including Knurow.

        Knurow was located in former Austrian-Poland.
        Augustow (there are 8), Gortzica and Suwalki were located in
        former Russian-Poland.

        Knurow is located over the NE Slovakia border near Zakopane, Poland
        and 23 miles north of Stary' Smokovec (Poprad region of Slovakia)
        The pre-WWI records will have been written in German (Austrian) and
        perhaps in Polish.

        Gorczca is located 18 miles from Suwalki.
        Augustow is located i8 miles south of Suwalki.
        This area is near the current western Polish border with Russia,
        Lithuania, and Belarus.
        The pre-WWI records will have been written in Russian Cyrillic and
        perhaps in Polish.

        From the late 1700s until the end of WW I, Poland did not exist as a
        country. It was divided among the Russian, German (Prussian), and
        Austrian Empires. These divisions were known as Partitions.
        There was Russian-Poland, German-Poland, and Austrian-Poland..

        Russian-Poland

        Russia had obtained White Russia and Latvian Lithuania to the Dnieper
        and Dvina rivers in the First Partition of Poland (1792)
        In the Second Partition, Russia took most of the western Ukraine,
        including Podolia and a part of Volhynia, and all of the eastern part
        of Lithuania, also obtaining the right to move its troops into what
        remained of Poland and control its foreign policy.
        Russia acquired the rest of Lithuania and the Ukraine, the remainder
        of Volhynia, and the Duchy of Courland in the Third Partition (1795)
        Warsaw and the surrounding area was under Prussian rule until 1815,
        when the Congress Kingdom of Poland comes into being under Russian
        rule. The former provinces of Grodno, Kalicz, Kielce, Lublin, Lodz,
        Lomza,Plock, Radom, Siedlce, and Suwalki were among those areas
        annexed by the Russian Government.

        The former Russian Empire included Poland, Lithuania, Latvia ,
        Estonia , Belarus (Bylorussia), and parts of the Ukraine.

        Austrian-Poland

        By the First Partition ( 1792) of Poland, Austria had obtained Galicia
        (consisting of Red Russia, the city of Lemberg [Lwów], a part of
        western Podolia, and southern Little Poland).
        Austria did not take any Polish land in the Second Partition.
        During the Third Partition (1795) of Poland, Austria took the
        remainder of Little Poland and Kraków.

        The southern Polish territories around Kraków and Lwów were
        incorporated into the Austrian Empire and renamed "Galicia".

        Galicia was formerly a Austrian Crownland and part of Austro-Hungarian
        Monarchy(1867-1918). Sometimes referred to as Austrian Poland.
        Other names for the area were Galicja (Polish), Galizien (German),
        Halychyna (Ukrainian) and Rus Halicka (Polish).

        In 1918, Galicia was annexed to Poland as "Malopolska" (Little
        Poland)
        After the 1939 partition of Poland by Germany and Russia, East Galicia
        became part of Ukraine while West Galicia remained in Poland.
        Its former territories are now shared between southern Poland and
        the Ukraine.