Re: [S-R] LDS Parish Records

  • frankur@att.net
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 13, 2001
      --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@y..., connie ruley <connie_ruley@y...> wrote:
      > hi my name is connie would like to ask you if you
      > found the parish records on the internet if so could
      > you please let me know how. iam trying to fine my
      > fathers he was born ove in austria-hungrey. thank you
      > connie
      > --- knorton2@h... wrote:
      > > I've been going throught the Greek Catholic parish
      > > records for the
      > > towns of Olejnikov, Lutina, and Hanigovce, in Saris
      > > county.

      If you know surname village/town of origin (in former Austria-Hungary)
      you can use the Family History Library Catalog under Place Search.

      The place names are in Slovak, while the parish church records are
      usually written in Latin and Hungarian.

      http://www.familysearch.org/eng/Library/FHLC/frameset_fhlc.asp

      The Austro-Hungarian Monarchy (1867-1918) stretched from Austria to
      Montenegro in the Balkans.
      If you don't know place name of the village/town of origin there is no
      way to search the catalog.
      LDS-Mormon parish church records for Slovakia end around 1895.
      Surname researchers may spend years looking for sometimes
      illusive surname place of birth in Upper-Hungary (then Slovakia)

      You will need to research :

      Indices to Passenger Lists for U.S. ports of entry
      Surname Naturalization papers
      U.S. Censuses for surname's State of residence
      Other surname documentation
    • knorton2@hotmail.com
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 18, 2001
        Connie, The parish records are not on the Internet though the index
        is at the Mormon/LDS site. I thinks it's www.familysearch.com. To
        use the records, you have to go to a Mormon family history center
        where you can order the microfilm for a small fee. When it comes in,
        usually about 3 weeks, you have to view the films there. Karen
        ---