Re: LDS Parish Records

  • frankur@att.net
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 11, 2001
      --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@y..., knorton2@h... wrote:
      > I've been going throught the Greek Catholic parish records for the
      > towns of Olejnikov, Lutina, and Hanigovce, in Saris county. I found
      > my grandfather's confirmation when he was about age 2 1/2 in the
      > christening lists in 1888. His birth is listed as illegitimate and
      > there is a notation that he was born in America with his birth date.

      > My great-grandparents are listed as his parents, although it does
      not
      > say, "his wife" after my great-grandmother's name as most of the
      > other entries do. I'm wondering why my grandfather is listed is
      > illegimate. Were my great-grandparents not married yet at the time
      > of his birth? That is the obvious explanation. I also thought
      there
      > could be other reasons though such as not being married in the
      > church, being married in America, or my grandfather not being
      > baptized previously. My grandfather was born in PA and the family
      > apparently moved back to Slovakia, eventually coming back to the
      U.S.
      > permanently. A second child was born in Slovakia (1892) and my
      great-
      > grandparents are listed as his parents with the birth listed as
      > legitimate. I am hoping someone out there is more familiar than me
      > with church practices during that time. Karen Norton, Lee,MA

      The G.C. parish records for Lutina were written in
      Latin, Hungarian, and Ruthenian.

      English Hungarian
      legitimate törvényes
      illegitimate child törvénytelen gyerek

      English Latin
      legitimate legitimatus
      illegitimate illegitmus

      Some parish churches kept duplicate copies of the records.
      Druhopisy (i.e. second writing) was a duplicate copy known
      as the bishop's copy'.
      So a duplicate of the original record may have been
      sent elsewhere.
      Some years have both parish records and "bishop's copies".
      Other years have only "bishop's copies", others only the parish
      registers.
      >From 1828, the parish was obliged to make a copy of entries and
      send them to archives, so some records are preserved in duplicate.

      The Krstení (christenings) for Lutina (Litinye) 1860-1895 were
      Druhopisy.
      Written in which language ?

      What was the surname parent's religion listed as ?

      Why I ask is that in cases of 'mixed marriages', G.C, priests were
      known to tell the couples they had not been actually married
      and such couples sometimes later remarried and even rebaptized their
      children ?

      Hungarian English
      rk.-RK. római katholikus Roman Catholic
      ag. AG. ágostai Evangelical (Lutheran)
      izr. IZR. izraelita Israelite (Jewish)
    • connie ruley
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 12, 2001
        hi my name is connie would like to ask you if you
        found the parish records on the internet if so could
        you please let me know how. iam trying to fine my
        fathers he was born ove in austria-hungrey. thank you
        connie

        http://auctions.yahoo.com/
      • frankur@att.net
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 13, 2001
          --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@y..., connie ruley <connie_ruley@y...> wrote:
          > hi my name is connie would like to ask you if you
          > found the parish records on the internet if so could
          > you please let me know how. iam trying to fine my
          > fathers he was born ove in austria-hungrey. thank you
          > connie
          > --- knorton2@h... wrote:
          > > I've been going throught the Greek Catholic parish
          > > records for the
          > > towns of Olejnikov, Lutina, and Hanigovce, in Saris
          > > county.

          If you know surname village/town of origin (in former Austria-Hungary)
          you can use the Family History Library Catalog under Place Search.

          The place names are in Slovak, while the parish church records are
          usually written in Latin and Hungarian.

          http://www.familysearch.org/eng/Library/FHLC/frameset_fhlc.asp

          The Austro-Hungarian Monarchy (1867-1918) stretched from Austria to
          Montenegro in the Balkans.
          If you don't know place name of the village/town of origin there is no
          way to search the catalog.
          LDS-Mormon parish church records for Slovakia end around 1895.
          Surname researchers may spend years looking for sometimes
          illusive surname place of birth in Upper-Hungary (then Slovakia)

          You will need to research :

          Indices to Passenger Lists for U.S. ports of entry
          Surname Naturalization papers
          U.S. Censuses for surname's State of residence
          Other surname documentation
        • knorton2@hotmail.com
          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 18, 2001
            Connie, The parish records are not on the Internet though the index
            is at the Mormon/LDS site. I thinks it's www.familysearch.com. To
            use the records, you have to go to a Mormon family history center
            where you can order the microfilm for a small fee. When it comes in,
            usually about 3 weeks, you have to view the films there. Karen
            ---