Re: [S-R] LDS Parish Records

  • Kathern McIntosh
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 10, 2001
      I don't have anything to back this up but a very detailed researcher whom I know and respect. There were children in my family that were born in slovakia but were born before the marriage took place. The natural father had to go to the church and make a public declaration that the children were his and that he accepted them as legal children after the marriage but before they were considered "legitimate".

    • John
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 10, 2001
        At 10:10 AM 3/10/01 -0600, you wrote:
        >I don't have anything to back this up but a very detailed researcher whom
        >I know and respect. There were children in my family that were born in
        >slovakia but were born before the marriage took place. The natural father
        >had to go to the church and make a public declaration that the children
        >were his and that he accepted them as legal children after the marriage
        >but before they were considered "legitimate".

        While checking civil birth records in Malcov, SK, I was told that the first
        child of one of the families I was searching for was born 2 years before
        her parent's marriage. She assured me that the father had acknowledged the
        child as his (I believe I was assured just in case I might find the news
        disturbing), which appears to agree with your statement. Even though this
        acknowledgement took place, the official document they gave me lists the
        mother and child's name but has the word " neuvedeny' " in the father's
        area. I believe that translates as "unaware" but not illegitimate. I was
        not able to see the actual listing in the register. The family was Greek
        Catholic but the records were not available on microfilm because the
        microfilm records for their village did not go beyond 1895.

        John
      • Bruce Bagin
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 13, 2001
          how do I search the lists of passengers of the breslau from the port of
          baltimore during the years 1900 through 1905?

          Many thanks,

          Bruce Bagin
          312 Boulevard of the Allies,#600
          Pittsburgh, PA 15222-1923
          412-281-1110
          FAX 412-281-8481
          email bagin@...

          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 14, 2001
            --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@y..., "Bruce Bagin" <bbagin@h...> wrote:
            > how do I search the lists of passengers of the breslau from the port
            of
            > baltimore during the years 1900 through 1905?
            >
            > Many thanks,

            You go to closest LDS-Mormon FHC and rent :

            1 Specific reel of of Indices to PLs Baltimore MD (1891-1948)
            that is Soundex Coded for your surnames.

            For example, Bagin = B-250.
            Here you would get roll 3 (out of 42 rolls) A-652 Abraham - B-350
            Alice to review.

            Then review reel(s) of the Index for Baltimore for your surnames.
            You do this first, because 1900-1905 PLs Baltimore are
            on 35 reels of microfilm.

            2 When you find surname(s) in Index you can then order the specific
            reel(s) which contains the volume number of the ship manifest
            (Breslau) arrival in Baltimore on a specific date and which contains
            the listing of your surname(s)
          • knorton2@hotmail.com
            Message 5 of 6 , Mar 18, 2001
              Or, you can go to a branch of the National Archives, if you happen to
              be close to one. They are in New York, Philadelphia, Pittsfield and
              Waltham, MA in the Northeast. Karen
              --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@y..., frankur@a... wrote:
              > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@y..., "Bruce Bagin" <bbagin@h...> wrote:
              > > how do I search the lists of passengers of the breslau from the
              port
              > of
              > > baltimore during the years 1900 through 1905?
              > >
              > > Many thanks,
              >
              > You go to closest LDS-Mormon FHC and rent :
              >
              > 1 Specific reel of of Indices to PLs Baltimore MD (1891-1948)
              > that is Soundex Coded for your surnames.
              >
              > For example, Bagin = B-250.
              > Here you would get roll 3 (out of 42 rolls) A-652 Abraham - B-350
              > Alice to review.
              >
              > Then review reel(s) of the Index for Baltimore for your surnames.
              > You do this first, because 1900-1905 PLs Baltimore are
              > on 35 reels of microfilm.
              >
              > 2 When you find surname(s) in Index you can then order the specific
              > reel(s) which contains the volume number of the ship manifest
              > (Breslau) arrival in Baltimore on a specific date and which
              contains
              > the listing of your surname(s)
            • Judy (& Dr. Joe) Quashnock
              Message 6 of 6 , Mar 18, 2001
                This is the page, enter the name of the town:

                http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Library/fhlcatalog/supermainframeset.asp?display=localitysearch&columns=*,180,0

                If that doesn't work, go to:

                An select the "Place Search" bar, the first one in the right.

                Dr. "Q"