LDS Parish Records

  • knorton2@hotmail.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 10 7:10 AM
      I've been going throught the Greek Catholic parish records for the
      towns of Olejnikov, Lutina, and Hanigovce, in Saris county. I found
      my grandfather's confirmation when he was about age 2 1/2 in the
      christening lists in 1888. His birth is listed as illegitimate and
      there is a notation that he was born in America with his birth date.
      My great-grandparents are listed as his parents, although it does not
      say, "his wife" after my great-grandmother's name as most of the
      other entries do. I'm wondering why my grandfather is listed is
      illegimate. Were my great-grandparents not married yet at the time
      of his birth? That is the obvious explanation. I also thought there
      could be other reasons though such as not being married in the
      church, being married in America, or my grandfather not being
      baptized previously. My grandfather was born in PA and the family
      apparently moved back to Slovakia, eventually coming back to the U.S.
      permanently. A second child was born in Slovakia (1892) and my great-
      grandparents are listed as his parents with the birth listed as
      legitimate. I am hoping someone out there is more familiar than me
      with church practices during that time. Karen Norton, Lee,MA
    • frankur@att.net
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 11 6:55 AM
        --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@y..., knorton2@h... wrote:
        > I've been going throught the Greek Catholic parish records for the
        > towns of Olejnikov, Lutina, and Hanigovce, in Saris county. I found
        > my grandfather's confirmation when he was about age 2 1/2 in the
        > christening lists in 1888. His birth is listed as illegitimate and
        > there is a notation that he was born in America with his birth date.

        > My great-grandparents are listed as his parents, although it does
        not
        > say, "his wife" after my great-grandmother's name as most of the
        > other entries do. I'm wondering why my grandfather is listed is
        > illegimate. Were my great-grandparents not married yet at the time
        > of his birth? That is the obvious explanation. I also thought
        there
        > could be other reasons though such as not being married in the
        > church, being married in America, or my grandfather not being
        > baptized previously. My grandfather was born in PA and the family
        > apparently moved back to Slovakia, eventually coming back to the
        U.S.
        > permanently. A second child was born in Slovakia (1892) and my
        great-
        > grandparents are listed as his parents with the birth listed as
        > legitimate. I am hoping someone out there is more familiar than me
        > with church practices during that time. Karen Norton, Lee,MA

        The G.C. parish records for Lutina were written in
        Latin, Hungarian, and Ruthenian.

        English Hungarian
        legitimate törvényes
        illegitimate child törvénytelen gyerek

        English Latin
        legitimate legitimatus
        illegitimate illegitmus

        Some parish churches kept duplicate copies of the records.
        Druhopisy (i.e. second writing) was a duplicate copy known
        as the bishop's copy'.
        So a duplicate of the original record may have been
        sent elsewhere.
        Some years have both parish records and "bishop's copies".
        Other years have only "bishop's copies", others only the parish
        registers.
        >From 1828, the parish was obliged to make a copy of entries and
        send them to archives, so some records are preserved in duplicate.

        The Krstení (christenings) for Lutina (Litinye) 1860-1895 were
        Druhopisy.
        Written in which language ?

        What was the surname parent's religion listed as ?

        Why I ask is that in cases of 'mixed marriages', G.C, priests were
        known to tell the couples they had not been actually married
        and such couples sometimes later remarried and even rebaptized their
        children ?

        Hungarian English
        rk.-RK. római katholikus Roman Catholic
        ag. AG. ágostai Evangelical (Lutheran)
        izr. IZR. izraelita Israelite (Jewish)
      • connie ruley
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 12 6:20 AM
          hi my name is connie would like to ask you if you
          found the parish records on the internet if so could
          you please let me know how. iam trying to fine my
          fathers he was born ove in austria-hungrey. thank you
          connie

          http://auctions.yahoo.com/
        • frankur@att.net
          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 13 4:51 AM
            --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@y..., connie ruley <connie_ruley@y...> wrote:
            > hi my name is connie would like to ask you if you
            > found the parish records on the internet if so could
            > you please let me know how. iam trying to fine my
            > fathers he was born ove in austria-hungrey. thank you
            > connie
            > --- knorton2@h... wrote:
            > > I've been going throught the Greek Catholic parish
            > > records for the
            > > towns of Olejnikov, Lutina, and Hanigovce, in Saris
            > > county.

            If you know surname village/town of origin (in former Austria-Hungary)
            you can use the Family History Library Catalog under Place Search.

            The place names are in Slovak, while the parish church records are
            usually written in Latin and Hungarian.

            http://www.familysearch.org/eng/Library/FHLC/frameset_fhlc.asp

            The Austro-Hungarian Monarchy (1867-1918) stretched from Austria to
            Montenegro in the Balkans.
            If you don't know place name of the village/town of origin there is no
            way to search the catalog.
            LDS-Mormon parish church records for Slovakia end around 1895.
            Surname researchers may spend years looking for sometimes
            illusive surname place of birth in Upper-Hungary (then Slovakia)

            You will need to research :

            Indices to Passenger Lists for U.S. ports of entry
            Surname Naturalization papers
            U.S. Censuses for surname's State of residence
            Other surname documentation
          • knorton2@hotmail.com
            Message 5 of 5 , Mar 18 5:20 PM
              Connie, The parish records are not on the Internet though the index
              is at the Mormon/LDS site. I thinks it's www.familysearch.com. To
              use the records, you have to go to a Mormon family history center
              where you can order the microfilm for a small fee. When it comes in,
              usually about 3 weeks, you have to view the films there. Karen
              ---