Stephen Antol - Uloza Slovakia

  • Jane Murray
    Message 1 of 19 , May 8 4:44 PM
      Stephen (Stefen) Antol/Antal (b-1846)and wife Maria Motyka are listed in the 6/121900  Federal Census in Duryea PA.with children Joseph & John.  Stated they had 9 children, 4 survived.  He had been in the country for 10 years.  Surviving children Stephen (b-1874), Martin,(1877) John,(1883) & Joseph (1886).  Stefan made trips back and forth to Uloza.  I could not locate Uloza under Catholic records for Levoca  in Family Search.org.  I did a google search and found that there is a village named Uloza, but nothing on Family Search. Is there another town I should check for the Antal surname?
      Stephen Antal Jr.(1874-1926) moved to Cambria County, his father, mother, and brothers stayed in Duryea & Pittston area of PA.
      Jane

    • christine mackara
      Message 2 of 19 , May 8 5:28 PM
        You could try Zavada or Vysne Repase.

        Christine

        Stephen (Stefen) Antol/Antal (b-1846)and wife Maria Motyka are listed in the 6/121900 Federal Census in Duryea PA.with children Joseph & John. Stated they had 9 children, 4 survived. He had been in the country for 10 years. Surviving children Stephen (b-1874), Martin,(1877) John,(1883) & Joseph (1886). Stefan made trips back and forth to Uloza. I could not locate Uloza under Catholic records for Levoca in Family Search.org. I did a google search and found that there is a village named Uloza, but nothing on Family Search. Is there another town I should check for the Antal surname?
        Stephen Antal Jr.(1874-1926) moved to Cambria County, his father, mother, and brothers stayed in Duryea & Pittston area of PA.
        Jane

      • CurtB
        Message 3 of 19 , May 8 8:20 PM
          Jane,
          People from Uloza are listed with the Roman Catholic records of Zavada, which is listed under the Levoca R.C. records, so check there.

          Curt B.

          --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, Jane Murray <jmurray6475@...> wrote:

          > Stephen (Stefen) Antol/Antal (b-1846)and wife Maria Motyka are listed in the 6/121900  Federal Census in Duryea PA.with children Joseph & John.  Stated they had 9 children, 4 survived.  He had been in the country for 10 years.  Surviving children Stephen (b-1874), Martin,(1877) John,(1883) & Joseph (1886).  Stefan made trips back and forth to Uloza.  I could not locate Uloza under Catholic records for Levoca  in Family Search.org.  I did a google search and found that there is a village named Uloza, but nothing on Family Search. Is there another town I should check for the Antal surname?
          > Stephen Antal Jr.(1874-1926) moved to Cambria County, his father, mother, and brothers stayed in Duryea & Pittston area of PA.
          > Jane

        • Michael Mojher
          Message 4 of 19 , May 8 8:27 PM
            Uloza is a village in Slovakia, okres/district of Levoca and kraj/state of Presov. It was in the Hungarian county of Spis.
            2519 Uloža LE/PV spiš.
            1773 Uloza, Kopern, 1786 Ulocza, Köpern, 1808 Ulosa, Ulozsa, Köpern, Köperehren, Uloža, 1863–1902 Ulozsa, 1907–1913 Kőperény, 1920 Úloža, 1927– Uloža

            From the Slovak 1995 Census, Here it says it in the okres/district of Spisska Nova Ves,V obci ULOŽA (okr. SPIŠSKÁ NOVÁ VES). The Census found these surnames there: ANTAL 7×; MOTYKA 6×, 7 and 6 males and ANTALOVÁ 8× and MOTYKOVÁ 5×, 8 and 5 females.

            http://en.e-obce.sk/obec/uloza/uloza.html This is a link to an information page on Uloza. On it is a link to the village website, it is all in Slovak. There is also an e-mail address that goes to city hall.

            Since Uloza is so small (186 people) it more than likely has not independent church. Which means it must be an affiliated parish. I looked for “related places” for Levoca. Surprisingly, Uloza was not on the list. Whereas the village further up the road, Vysne Repase, is a “related place” to Levoca.

            “Gebul Zips Saxons, who also owned it. His widow is mentioned in 1280, which is the oldest written records of the municipality. Then known by the name Olusa, in 1293 as Olus. Likely already in 1271 received the Community Zips Saxons, as a village belonging Levoca and its townspeople.” This was translated from the Historia from the village website by Google Translate. So, even though not recorded as being a “related place”, it seems obvious that Uloza is considered part of Levoca.

            Stephen (Stefen) Antol/Antal (b-1846)and wife Maria Motyka are listed in the 6/121900 Federal Census in Duryea PA.with children Joseph & John. Stated they had 9 children, 4 survived. He had been in the country for 10 years. Surviving children Stephen (b-1874), Martin,(1877) John,(1883) & Joseph (1886). Stefan made trips back and forth to Uloza. I could not locate Uloza under Catholic records for Levoca in Family Search.org. I did a google search and found that there is a village named Uloza, but nothing on Family Search. Is there another town I should check for the Antal surname?
            Stephen Antal Jr.(1874-1926) moved to Cambria County, his father, mother, and brothers stayed in Duryea & Pittston area of PA.
            Jane

          • htcstech
            Message 5 of 19 , May 8 8:40 PM
              Hello Curt,
              How do you know that? Is that just hard work on your part or is there a
              link somewhere (LDS?) that ties in village names with church books?

              Thanks

              Peter M.

              On 9 May 2012 13:20, CurtB <curt67boc@...> wrote:

              > **
              >

              > Jane,
              > People from Uloza are listed with the Roman Catholic records of Zavada,
              > which is listed under the Levoca R.C. records, so check there.
              >
              > Curt B.
              >

              > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, Jane Murray <jmurray6475@...> wrote:
              > >
              > > Stephen (Stefen) Antol/Antal (b-1846)and wife Maria Motyka are listed in
              > the 6/121900 Federal Census in Duryea PA.with children Joseph & John.
              > Stated they had 9 children, 4 survived. He had been in the country for 10
              > years. Surviving children Stephen (b-1874), Martin,(1877) John,(1883) &
              > Joseph (1886). Stefan made trips back and forth to Uloza. I could not
              > locate Uloza under Catholic records for Levoca in Family Search.org. I
              > did a google search and found that there is a village named Uloza, but
              > nothing on Family Search. Is there another town I should check for the
              > Antal surname?
              > > Stephen Antal Jr.(1874-1926) moved to Cambria County, his father,
              > mother, and brothers stayed in Duryea & Pittston area of PA.
              > > Jane

            • William C. Wormuth
              Message 6 of 19 , May 8 9:00 PM
                Michale,

                Excellent response!

                My Vlastivedny Obci Book gives another name:1786 to 1920, Ulocza, (Uloca)[Oooloh-tsa].

                I was still searching for Jane's info but am not as fast as you.

                Z Bohom,

                Vilo

                ________________________________

                Stephen (Stefen) Antol/Antal (b-1846)and wife Maria Motyka are listed in the 6/121900 Federal Census in Duryea PA.with children Joseph & John. Stated they had 9 children, 4 survived. He had been in the country for 10 years. Surviving children Stephen (b-1874), Martin,(1877) John,(1883) & Joseph (1886). Stefan made trips back and forth to Uloza. I could not locate Uloza under Catholic records for Levoca in Family Search.org. I did a google search and found that there is a village named Uloza, but nothing on Family Search. Is there another town I should check for the Antal surname?
                Stephen Antal Jr.(1874-1926) moved to Cambria County, his father, mother, and brothers stayed in Duryea & Pittston area of PA.
                Jane

              • t.salony
                Message 7 of 19 , May 8 9:12 PM
                  http://www.cisarik.com/0_Uloza_Levoca_PV_Szepes_Spis.html

                  --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, Jane Murray <jmurray6475@...> wrote:

                  > Stephen (Stefen) Antol/Antal (b-1846)and wife Maria Motyka are listed in the 6/121900 �Federal Census in Duryea PA.with children Joseph & John. �Stated they had 9 children, 4 survived. �He had been in the country for 10 years. �Surviving children Stephen (b-1874), Martin,(1877) John,(1883) & Joseph (1886). �Stefan made trips back and forth to Uloza. �I could not locate Uloza under Catholic records for Levoca �in Family Search.org. �I did a google search and found that there is a village named Uloza, but nothing on Family Search. Is there another town I should check for the Antal surname?
                  > Stephen Antal Jr.(1874-1926) moved to Cambria County, his father, mother, and brothers stayed in Duryea & Pittston area of PA.
                  > Jane

                • CurtB
                  Message 8 of 19 , May 8 10:00 PM
                    There is no LDS link for it. I have used the records and seen the reference before.

                    Curt B.

                    > Hello Curt,
                    > How do you know that? Is that just hard work on your part or is there a
                    > link somewhere (LDS?) that ties in village names with church books?
                    >
                    > Thanks
                    >
                    > Peter M.
                    >
                    > On 9 May 2012 13:20, CurtB <curt67boc@...> wrote:
                    >
                    > > **
                    > >

                    > > Jane,
                    > > People from Uloza are listed with the Roman Catholic records of Zavada,
                    > > which is listed under the Levoca R.C. records, so check there.
                    > >
                    > > Curt B.
                    > >

                    > > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, Jane Murray <jmurray6475@> wrote:
                    > > >
                    > > > Stephen (Stefen) Antol/Antal (b-1846)and wife Maria Motyka are listed in
                    > > the 6/121900 Federal Census in Duryea PA.with children Joseph & John.
                    > > Stated they had 9 children, 4 survived. He had been in the country for 10
                    > > years. Surviving children Stephen (b-1874), Martin,(1877) John,(1883) &
                    > > Joseph (1886). Stefan made trips back and forth to Uloza. I could not
                    > > locate Uloza under Catholic records for Levoca in Family Search.org. I
                    > > did a google search and found that there is a village named Uloza, but
                    > > nothing on Family Search. Is there another town I should check for the
                    > > Antal surname?
                    > > > Stephen Antal Jr.(1874-1926) moved to Cambria County, his father,
                    > > mother, and brothers stayed in Duryea & Pittston area of PA.
                    > > > Jane

                  • Sue Martin
                    Message 9 of 19 , May 9 5:31 AM
                      Hello, and apologies in advance for being long-winded,

                      I would like some advice. I am going to Slovakia for a week in late June/early July. I have quite a lot of information about my family, but I need guidance on how best to spend my time there.

                      My ancestors, who were Jewish, came from Trencin county, primarily the areas around Povazhska Bystrica. I have information for a Herschel Orowan (or Orovan or Aravan), who we think was born in Moravia, moved to Hungary and changed his name; he was born around 1740 and died between 1818 and 1822. I don't know his wife's name. I have information on four sons, but nothing on any daughters, if they existed. I also don't know where exactly he came from and what his birth name was.

                      In following the family tree from Herschel to the present, there are lines that simply peter out. There are some people who married and lived long enough to have families, but for whom I have no information - this is primarily in the 19th century. I would love to know if those people had children.

                      Many Jewish censuses over the years have been transcribed and are available through the LDS, so it's not clear to me that the Slovakian archives have anything further to add, but I am not sure about that.

                      For those of you who have traveled and done research in Slovakia, what might be the most promising resources? Archives? Cemeteries? Villages where people lived? Something else?

                      Thanks in advance.

                      Sue

                    • genmom4
                      Message 10 of 19 , May 9 7:38 AM
                        Peter,
                        I'm not quite sure what you are asking here. But if you are wondering how one would know where to look for the church records for this town, it is listed in the Gazetteer.
                        http://kt.lib.pte.hu/cgi-bin/kt.cgi?konyvtar/kt03110501/0_0_1_pg_589.html

                        That is the page that shows the town, and where the RC, GC, etc. records would be for that particular town.

                        You need to know the Megye in order to look through the book for a particular town.
                        I hope that answers your question.

                        I did learn that FHC has online links to the gazetteer, but I have always used this site which great luck: http://kt.lib.pte.hu/cgi-bin/kt.cgi?konyvtar/kt03110501/tartalom.html

                        Barbara

                        > Hello Curt,
                        > How do you know that? Is that just hard work on your part or is there a
                        > link somewhere (LDS?) that ties in village names with church books?
                        >
                        > Thanks
                        >
                        > Peter M.
                        >
                        > On 9 May 2012 13:20, CurtB <curt67boc@...> wrote:
                        >
                        > > **
                        > >

                        > > Jane,
                        > > People from Uloza are listed with the Roman Catholic records of Zavada,
                        > > which is listed under the Levoca R.C. records, so check there.
                        > >
                        > > Curt B.
                        > >

                        > > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, Jane Murray <jmurray6475@> wrote:
                        > > >
                        > > > Stephen (Stefen) Antol/Antal (b-1846)and wife Maria Motyka are listed in
                        > > the 6/121900 Federal Census in Duryea PA.with children Joseph & John.
                        > > Stated they had 9 children, 4 survived. He had been in the country for 10
                        > > years. Surviving children Stephen (b-1874), Martin,(1877) John,(1883) &
                        > > Joseph (1886). Stefan made trips back and forth to Uloza. I could not
                        > > locate Uloza under Catholic records for Levoca in Family Search.org. I
                        > > did a google search and found that there is a village named Uloza, but
                        > > nothing on Family Search. Is there another town I should check for the
                        > > Antal surname?
                        > > > Stephen Antal Jr.(1874-1926) moved to Cambria County, his father,
                        > > mother, and brothers stayed in Duryea & Pittston area of PA.
                        > > > Jane

                      • Margo Smith
                        Message 11 of 19 , May 9 11:53 AM
                          I have spent several weeks in Povazska Bystrica during the past 9 years.
                          There was a Jewish Cemetery but I think it was demolished by the construction of the new highway a few years ago.  You can ask about that.
                          The closest archive is in Bytca,  not far north of PB.  Good idea to have an appointment in advance.  It is located in the manor house.  Restaurant:  U Palatina  Ruins of a synagogue across the street.
                          For lunch in PB, I recommend Leguan (lizard) restaurant.  Yummy!

                          >________________________________

                        • Sue Martin
                          Message 12 of 19 , May 9 1:58 PM
                            Thanks, Margo.

                            Sue

                            I have spent several weeks in Povazska Bystrica during the past 9 years.
                            There was a Jewish Cemetery but I think it was demolished by the construction of the new highway a few years ago. You can ask about that.
                            The closest archive is in Bytca, not far north of PB. Good idea to have an appointment in advance. It is located in the manor house. Restaurant: U Palatina Ruins of a synagogue across the street.
                            For lunch in PB, I recommend Leguan (lizard) restaurant. Yummy!

                            >________________________________

                          • htcstech
                            Message 13 of 19 , May 9 6:04 PM
                              Ahh! I think I've got it. The indexed town Ulozsa in the gazetteer has the
                              RC and GK numbers listed for Zavada, therefore Zavada is where the LDS
                              records are found!

                              That should work for most of the time. In the locality I'm searching a
                              village church was damaged by an earthquake and records got transferred to
                              the next village while under repair.

                              Thanks Barbara (and Curt).

                            • Milan Olle
                              Message 14 of 19 , May 10 3:30 PM
                                You might find it intresting that I have the surname Antal in my family in the towns of Galanta and Komarno today! Also, I think most Antals were Nobles. Something intresting that you might find. It came as a surprise to me.

                                Milan

                                Ahh! I think I've got it. The indexed town Ulozsa in the gazetteer has the
                                RC and GK numbers listed for Zavada, therefore Zavada is where the LDS
                                records are found!

                                That should work for most of the time. In the locality I'm searching a
                                village church was damaged by an earthquake and records got transferred to
                                the next village while under repair.

                                Thanks Barbara (and Curt).

                                On 10 May 2012 00:38, genmom4 <geismom@...> wrote:

                                > **
                                >

                                > Peter,
                                > I'm not quite sure what you are asking here. But if you are wondering how
                                > one would know where to look for the church records for this town, it is
                                > listed in the Gazetteer.
                                > http://kt.lib.pte.hu/cgi-bin/kt.cgi?konyvtar/kt03110501/0_0_1_pg_589.html
                                >
                                > That is the page that shows the town, and where the RC, GC, etc. records
                                > would be for that particular town.
                                >
                                > You need to know the Megye in order to look through the book for a
                                > particular town.
                                > I hope that answers your question.
                                >
                                > I did learn that FHC has online links to the gazetteer, but I have always
                                > used this site which great luck:
                                > http://kt.lib.pte.hu/cgi-bin/kt.cgi?konyvtar/kt03110501/tartalom.html
                                >
                                > Barbara
                                >

                                > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, htcstech <htcstech@...> wrote:
                                > >
                                > > Hello Curt,
                                > > How do you know that? Is that just hard work on your part or is there a
                                > > link somewhere (LDS?) that ties in village names with church books?
                                > >
                                > > Thanks
                                > >
                                > > Peter M.
                                > >
                                > > On 9 May 2012 13:20, CurtB <curt67boc@...> wrote:
                                > >
                                > > > **
                                >

                                > > > Jane,
                                > > > People from Uloza are listed with the Roman Catholic records of Zavada,
                                > > > which is listed under the Levoca R.C. records, so check there.
                                > > >
                                > > > Curt B.

                                > listed in
                                > > > the 6/121900 Federal Census in Duryea PA.with children Joseph & John.
                                > > > Stated they had 9 children, 4 survived. He had been in the country for
                                > 10
                                > > > years. Surviving children Stephen (b-1874), Martin,(1877) John,(1883) &
                                > > > Joseph (1886). Stefan made trips back and forth to Uloza. I could not
                                > > > locate Uloza under Catholic records for Levoca in Family Search.org. I
                                > > > did a google search and found that there is a village named Uloza, but
                                > > > nothing on Family Search. Is there another town I should check for the
                                > > > Antal surname?
                                > > > mother, and brothers stayed in Duryea & Pittston area of PA.

                              • htcstech
                                Message 15 of 19 , May 11 12:16 AM
                                  Milan, There is a great site on Pozsony/Bratislava Nobility

                                  http://kleberczderethe.blogspot.com.au/search?q=antal

                                  (set to search for Antal)

                                  Peter M.

                                  PS I found out today that an ancestor of mine - Elizabetha Moravko married
                                  up into the nobility herself a widow at 50 and the new husband, a 70 year
                                  old Noble widower!
                                  I need help on the translation and I'll post the request soon.

                                  Peter M.

                                • Jane Murray
                                  Message 16 of 19 , May 11 4:36 AM
                                    Thanks to all, found several Antol's (sometimes spelled Antal), many, many Motika's in Zavada and Uloza.  It will take me quite awhile to match who goes with who. Too many Thomas, Michael, Joanes, & Jacob's for the late 1700's to early 1800's the women had no last name listed. I am using color highlighters to separate the names at this point, probably should make an excel spreadsheet. I still have over 400 pages to look at, but am very encouraged with the results thus far.

                                    As for Nobles, that fact has not been discovered yet.

                                    I do have one question, on Catholic records for Zavada, page 126, listing for Jabob Antal & Maria Reparszky, the town is NOT Uloza or Zavada.  It starts with an "A"  Is that a town or a notation of some other meaning?

                                    Jane  -  Thank you!

                                    ________________________________
                                    You might find it intresting that I have the surname Antal in my family in the towns of Galanta and Komarno today! Also, I think most Antals were Nobles. Something intresting that you might find. It came as a surprise to me.

                                    Milan

                                    Ahh! I think I've got it. The indexed town Ulozsa in the gazetteer has the
                                    RC and GK numbers listed for Zavada, therefore Zavada is where the LDS
                                    records are found!

                                    That should work for most of the time. In the locality I'm searching a
                                    village church was damaged by an earthquake and records got transferred to
                                    the next village while under repair.

                                    Thanks Barbara (and Curt).

                                    On 10 May 2012 00:38, genmom4 <geismom@...> wrote:

                                    > **
                                    >

                                    > Peter,
                                    > I'm not quite sure what you are asking here. But if you are wondering how
                                    > one would know where to look for the church records for this town, it is
                                    > listed in the Gazetteer.
                                    > http://kt.lib.pte.hu/cgi-bin/kt.cgi?konyvtar/kt03110501/0_0_1_pg_589.html
                                    >
                                    > That is the page that shows the town, and where the RC, GC, etc. records
                                    > would be for that particular town.
                                    >
                                    > You need to know the Megye in order to look through the book for a
                                    > particular town.
                                    > I hope that answers your question.
                                    >
                                    > I did learn that FHC has online links to the gazetteer, but I have always
                                    > used this site which great luck:
                                    > http://kt.lib.pte.hu/cgi-bin/kt.cgi?konyvtar/kt03110501/tartalom.html
                                    >
                                    > Barbara
                                    >

                                    > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, htcstech <htcstech@...> wrote:
                                    > >
                                    > > Hello Curt,
                                    > > How do you know that? Is that just hard work on your part or is there a
                                    > > link somewhere (LDS?) that ties in village names with church books?
                                    > >
                                    > > Thanks
                                    > >
                                    > > Peter M.
                                    > >
                                    > > On 9 May 2012 13:20, CurtB <curt67boc@...> wrote:
                                    > >
                                    > > > **
                                    >

                                    > > > Jane,
                                    > > > People from Uloza are listed with the Roman Catholic records of Zavada,
                                    > > > which is listed under the Levoca R.C. records, so check there.
                                    > > >
                                    > > > Curt B.

                                    > listed in
                                    > > > the 6/121900 Federal Census in Duryea PA.with children Joseph & John.
                                    > > > Stated they had 9 children, 4 survived. He had been in the country for
                                    > 10
                                    > > > years. Surviving children Stephen (b-1874), Martin,(1877) John,(1883) &
                                    > > > Joseph (1886). Stefan made trips back and forth to Uloza. I could not
                                    > > > locate Uloza under Catholic records for Levoca in Family Search.org. I
                                    > > > did a google search and found that there is a village named Uloza, but
                                    > > > nothing on Family Search. Is there another town I should check for the
                                    > > > Antal surname?
                                    > > > mother, and brothers stayed in Duryea & Pittston area of PA.

                                  • CurtB
                                    Message 17 of 19 , May 11 10:00 AM
                                      Jane,
                                      Your question on Jabob Antal and Maria Reparszky is not clear; which page and line are you exactly referring for question? In the places when the scribe writes Superius or Amodium he then lists another village, which means that the person is from or moving to that village.

                                    • Jane Murray
                                      Message 18 of 19 , May 12 5:41 PM
                                        Curt,
                                        Yes, that is what is written the term "Amodium  Sup Leusc (?) Uloza", I cannot make out the word with the "Leus..."  Does that mean they moved to Uloza or from Uloza?  Sorry for the confusion.   Jane

                                        ________________________________
                                        Your question on Jabob Antal and Maria Reparszky is not clear; which page and line are you exactly referring for question? In the places when the scribe writes Superius or Amodium he then lists another village, which means that the person is from or moving to that village.

                                        Curt B../--- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, Jane Murray <jmurray6475@...> wrote:

                                        > Thanks to all, found several Antol's (sometimes spelled Antal), many, many Motika's in Zavada and Uloza.  It will take me quite awhile to match who goes with who. Too many Thomas, Michael, Joanes, & Jacob's for the late 1700's to early 1800's the women had no last name listed. I am using color highlighters to separate the names at this point, probably should make an excel spreadsheet. I still have over 400 pages to look at, but am very encouraged with the results thus far.
                                        >
                                        > As for Nobles, that fact has not been discovered yet.
                                        >
                                        > I do have one question, on Catholic records for Zavada, page 126, listing for Jabob Antal & Maria Reparszky, the town is NOT Uloza or Zavada.  It starts with an "A"  Is that a town or a notation of some other meaning?
                                        >
                                        > Jane  -  Thank you!

                                      • CurtB
                                        Message 19 of 19 , May 12 6:55 PM
                                          Jane,
                                          No, that one means that the person moved here, Uloza, from previous residence at Leutschau, the German name for Levoca.