Translation of text

  • Jane Murray
    Message 1 of 6 , May 6, 2012
      Please assist with the translation page (638) for Spisske Pohradie Catholic Records 1665-1786.  Would this page be telling me the Priest that would be administering to the people of Varallya starting in 1771?
      Jane

    • CurtB
      Message 2 of 6 , May 6, 2012
        Jane,
        Yes, It says the parish is under the jurisdiction of the Franciscan Abbey of St. Hipolitus at Zobor with two administrators, Franciscus Gabani for the Slovaks and Gerard Schmegner for the Germans, priests of the Franciscan order. On the very next page, the first baptism listed has Gabani doing the Baptizing.

        Curt B.

        --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, Jane Murray <jmurray6475@...> wrote:

        > Please assist with the translation page (638) for Spisske Pohradie Catholic Records 1665-1786.  Would this page be telling me the Priest that would be administering to the people of Varallya starting in 1771?
        > Jane

      • Ladislav Rosival
        Message 3 of 6 , May 7, 2012
          I have some comments, I am not so good in latin, but I do not think that the
          parish was under jurisdiction of "the Franciscan Abbey of St. Hipolitus at
          Zobor".

          As far as I know, the franciscans dont have abbeys. The benedictin Abbey of
          St. Hipolittus at Zobor was destroyed in 15th century. Later it was used
          only as a title "Abot of Abbey of st. hipollitus at Zobor". So I think the
          parson (head of the parish) (parochus - farár) was Dominico Francisco
          Szabbo, who had the title Abot of Abbey of st. hipollitus at Zobor". He had
          two "Vicario" one for Slovaks and one for Germans.

          The text at the begin is saying that Varalja is on of XIII cities of Spis,
          which were given to Poland in the period from 8.XI.1412 to 9.XI.1772.

          http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Treaty_of_Lubowla
          http://sk.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spi%c5%a1sk%c3%a9_starostovstvo

          Ladislav

          Yes, It says the parish is under the jurisdiction of the Franciscan Abbey of
          St. Hipolitus at Zobor with two administrators, Franciscus Gabani for the
          Slovaks and Gerard Schmegner for the Germans, priests of the Franciscan
          order. On the very next page, the first baptism listed has Gabani doing the
          Baptizing.

          Curt B.

          --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, Jane Murray <jmurray6475@...> wrote:

          > Please assist with the translation page (638) for Spisske Pohradie
          Catholic Records 1665-1786.  Would this page be telling me the Priest that
          would be administering to the people of Varallya starting in 1771?
          > Jane

        • Jane Murray
          Message 4 of 6 , May 7, 2012
            Would a Parson be similar to a Monsignor and Vicars the same as Priest?  Would the parish be the present day Church of Spisske Podhradie? Or is this more on the Archdiocesan level?  The Abot "Francisco Szabbo" last name is very similar to my surname Szabo.

            Thank you Ladislav and Curt for your response.
            Jane

            ________________________________

            Yes, It says the parish is under the jurisdiction of the Franciscan Abbey of
            St. Hipolitus at Zobor with two administrators, Franciscus Gabani for the
            Slovaks and Gerard Schmegner for the Germans, priests of the Franciscan
            order. On the very next page, the first baptism listed has Gabani doing the
            Baptizing.

            Curt B.

            --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, Jane Murray <jmurray6475@...> wrote:

            > Please assist with the translation page (638) for Spisske Pohradie
            Catholic Records 1665-1786.  Would this page be telling me the Priest that
            would be administering to the people of Varallya starting in 1771?
            > Jane

          • William C. Wormuth
            Message 5 of 6 , May 7, 2012
              I have just found something of interest here.  The translation from Latin for twins is gemelli.

            • htcstech
              Message 6 of 6 , May 8, 2012
                That's why the astrological sign for twins is Gemini