Re: Sinko

  • rstate5215
    Message 1 of 22 , May 2, 2012
      Naturalizations - PA Western

      … Records of the US Circuit and District Courts: Declarations of Intent and Petitions for Naturalizations, Oct 1820-Jan 1931 » 1930 » 1930-06-26 » Baltous Sinko » Petition for Naturalization
      State: Pennsylvania
      Short Description: NARA M1537. Naturalization petitions of the U.S. District Court, 1820-1930, and the Circuit Court, 1820-1911, for the Western District of Pennsylvania.
      Immigrant Full Name: Baltous Sinko
      Where would I go next?

      --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "rstate5215" <rstate5215@...> wrote:

      > How do you backtrack from the 1930's census records? this is the data I found....but need help as i am not willing to pay the fee for full record access...
      >

      > Census - US Federal 1930

      > State: Pennsylvania
      > 1. Sinko, Baltous (b: 1905*) Household: Sinko, Margaret (b: 1906*) Sinko, Anna (b: 1928*) Sinko, Helen (b: 1929*)
      >
      > .
      >

      > Any help?
      >
      > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "t.salony" <t.salony@> wrote:
      > >
      > > "rstate",
      > >
      > > - Found a "Gibson Mine" in Bentleyville, Washington Co., Pa
      > > - Found numerous SINKOs, many in Southwestern PA in various census.
      > > - Find that SINKO surname is still found in Slovakia.
      > > - Still no idea what or where "Glowgow" might have been.
      > >
      > > TOM
      > >
      > > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "t.salony" <t.salony@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > "rstate",
      > > >
      > > > I'm guessing clearer info will be needed for someone to help you.
      > > > "Gibson mine" sounds vaguely familiar, but the one I find is in the state of Indiana. Where is the Gibson mine to which you refer?
      > > > Searching Ellis Island records using the Morse gold form yields exactly one "Glowgow", but it is a transcription error and actually is Glogow, Austria (for a Polish person). Where do you find the word "Glowgow"?
      > > > SINKO immigrants in Pennsylvania...Where in PA? What else can you tell us about them?
      > > >
      > > > TOM

    • htcstech
      Message 2 of 22 , May 3, 2012
        Well I h�ve got full access to Ancestry.com till the 27th. I put your names
        in 1930 federal census for Penn. Washington county and came up with nothing
        specific. Otherwise I should have access to the full record.

        Are you sure of the spellings and dates?
        Or maybe I can,t use Ancestry,s front end properly.

        Peter M.

        Message 3 of 22 , May 3, 2012
          Ignore last msg.

          Message 4 of 22 , May 9, 2012
            You guys have been wonderful help!.....But now I'm confused as to where or how to search next....I have no way of knowing my Grandfathers
            parents name so what should I search next....My grandfather arrived as Barney Senker and switched to Baltous Sinko....
            Any suggestions?

            > Well I háve got full access to Ancestry.com till the 27th. I put your names
            > in 1930 federal census for Penn. Washington county and came up with nothing
            > specific. Otherwise I should have access to the full record.
            >
            > Are you sure of the spellings and dates?
            > Or maybe I can,t use Ancestry,s front end properly.
            >
            > Peter M.
            >
            > On 3 May 2012 07:22, rstate5215 <rstate5215@...> wrote:
            >
            > > **
            > >

            > > How do you backtrack from the 1930's census records? this is the data I
            > > found....but need help as i am not willing to pay the fee for full record
            > > access...
            > >
            > > Census - US Federal 1930

            > > State: Pennsylvania
            > > 1. Sinko, Baltous (b: 1905*) Household: Sinko, Margaret (b: 1906*) Sinko,
            > > Anna (b: 1928*) Sinko, Helen (b: 1929*)
            > >
            > > .
            > >
            > > Any help?
            > >

            > > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "t.salony" <t.salony@> wrote:
            > > >
            > > > "rstate",
            > > >
            > > > - Found a "Gibson Mine" in Bentleyville, Washington Co., Pa
            > > > - Found numerous SINKOs, many in Southwestern PA in various census.
            > > > - Find that SINKO surname is still found in Slovakia.
            > > > - Still no idea what or where "Glowgow" might have been.
            > > >
            > > > TOM

            > > state of Indiana. Where is the Gibson mine to which you refer?
            > > exactly one "Glowgow", but it is a transcription error and actually is
            > > Glogow, Austria (for a Polish person). Where do you find the word "Glowgow"?
            > > us about them?

            > > ancestors migrating from Glowgow in the early 1900's Most likely 1908.

          • Nancy Gibbs
            Message 5 of 22 , May 9, 2012
              I have been doing some searches on Ancestry for you.  This is what I have found:

              Baltous Sinko was living in Monongahela, Washington, PA in 1929;
              A petition for citizenship and
              Birth:  23 Jan 1905
              Death:  Feb 1985

              On Ellis Island's website I found:
              Arrived 22 July 1907 on the ship Columbia with his parents Anton and Maggie.  Their last name was spelled "Seuker".  You can go to the Ellis Island website and see the passenger list for yourself.

              If you want anything else, just post and I'll see if I can find anything else.

              Nancy

              Message 6 of 22 , May 9, 2012
                Thank you, Thankyou.....I am having a wonderful time with my surname chase!....thank you for providing Parent names!

                Message 7 of 22 , May 9, 2012
                  Well now you need to do some leg work. You have a probable last name of
                  SENKER to work with. You know that he was Lithuanian ethnicity born in 1905
                  in Glasgow, Scotland and was already in the US in 1907, making him 2 years
                  old when he arrived. Therefore most probably his parents came with him, or
                  at least some family. He most certainly didn't come over unassisted.

                  So the next step is to search the passenger manifests for Columbia that
                  arrived July 22nd 1907 to see what family came with him.
                  I'll do that for you (I still have a few days left on Ancestry.com) - check
                  your email.

                  OK. I found them
                  ~ Parents are listed as Polish from Russia~
                  Anton - 30yrs - Coal miner
                  Maggie - 26yrs
                  Barney - 2yrs

                  final destination of Elizabeth - that must be a town in the US near NY.

                  Peter M.

                • Elaine
                  Message 8 of 22 , May 10, 2012
                    Re: OK. I found them
                    > ~ Parents are listed as Polish from Russia~
                    >
                    > final destination of Elizabeth - that must be a town in the US near NY.

                    Elizabeth New jersey is about 25 minutes by car from NYC

                    Sent from my iPhone

                    Message 9 of 22 , May 10, 2012
                      Thanks Elaine!
                      Considering I'm in Australia, I had no idea.

                      Cheers

                      Peter M.

                    • William C. Wormuth
                      Message 10 of 22 , May 10, 2012
                        ould they have been Rusyn?  Polish Rusyns, (Lemko), people sometimes wrote that they were Rissian", because it is direct translation for Rus.

                        Z Bohom,

                        Vilo

                        ________________________________

                        Message 11 of 22 , May 10, 2012
                          So are you saying that a polish Russian would consider himself a Lemko, or that Lemko is a specific surname?

                          Message 12 of 22 , May 10, 2012
                            No, I believe they might have been Rusyn and not Russian.  Upon ship manifest or entry in Ellis, the would have been asked for nationality.  If the response was Polsky Rus.  The interviewer would have written Polish Russian.  I doubt they would have stated Polish/Russian.

                            Z Bohom,

                            vilo

                            ________________________________
                            So are you saying that a polish Russian would consider himself a Lemko, or that Lemko is a specific surname?

                            > ould they have been Rusyn?  Polish Rusyns, (Lemko), people sometimes wrote that they were Rissian", because it is direct translation for Rus.
                            >
                            > Z Bohom,
                            >
                            > Vilo
                            >

                            > ________________________________

                          • CurtB
                            Message 13 of 22 , May 10, 2012
                              The important thing to remember is that before 1917, Poland as country did not exist. It was divided among Germany, Russia, and Austria. So the immigration records indicate that he is of Polish ethnicity, but came from the Polish territory under the control of Russia, so he was a Russian citizen. The Polish borders were substantially changed after both the first World War, and the Second World War.

                              Curt B.

                              Curt B/

                              Message 14 of 22 , May 10, 2012
                                Curt,

                                Thanx for the info, I was not aware of those historical facts.

                                The info I gav concernin Rusyns might be of help fo some here.

                                Z Bohom,

                                Vilo

                                ________________________________

                                Message 15 of 22 , May 11, 2012
                                  All true, but he considered himself of Lithuanian ethnicity, which probably
                                  means that the parents spoke Lithuanian at home.
                                  I can see how Russia equates to Lithuania at the time as the Duchy was
                                  under Russian control.
                                  Prior to that, there was the Lithuanian-Polish Commonwealth that lasted a
                                  few centuries, so I can also see how the Polish reference came about.

                                  Methinks Senker/Sinko were Lithuanians in Polish territory controlled by
                                  Russia.
                                  After all, immigration would be asking them directly about their origins.
                                  They already knew the family emigrated from Scotland, so this is a personal
                                  statement.

                                  Peter M.