Cinobana roots

  • Susan Thomas
    Message 1 of 3 , May 2, 2012
      I have Mocsny and Garaj families from Cinobana. I have not traced them
      back farther than my 2x great grandparents. One day I hope to get to
      Slovakia and go to visit my "home town."

      Has anyone done this (without speaking Slovak or Magyar) and did you hire a
      translator or tour guide or how did you do it?

      I would love any insights and of course, to connect with any kinfolk!

      Susan Mocsny Thomas

    • John
      Message 2 of 3 , May 2, 2012
        The moderator(s) won't let this thread survive. It should be on Slovak World or Delphi.

        Helene Cincebeaux runs frequent tours to Slovakia. A number of genealogists monitor this site and can provide local services.

        Do your research FIRST -- not after you arrive. Then you will have some information to offer your cousins.

        Been there seven times. Looking forward to trip #8.

        --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, Susan Thomas <sthomas826@...> wrote:

        > I have Mocsny and Garaj families from Cinobana. I have not traced them
        > back farther than my 2x great grandparents. One day I hope to get to
        > Slovakia and go to visit my "home town."
        >
        > Has anyone done this (without speaking Slovak or Magyar) and did you hire a
        > translator or tour guide or how did you do it?
        >
        > I would love any insights and of course, to connect with any kinfolk!
        >
        > Susan Mocsny Thomas

      • Ron
        Message 3 of 3 , May 2, 2012
          Sad but true, Susan, we have an obligation to keep closely to genealogy on this forum. We have over 1200 members and Slovak World, where ALL things Slovak are discussed, has only 650 members. We have to assume that these additional 600 people on this forum signed up specifically for direct genealogical topics, and not general topics, however interesting.

          The lady who founded this group broke off from Slovak World to get away from chit chat and devote herself exclusively to genealogy, and held us strictly to her standards. We try to approach her standards and NOT lose any serious genealogists due to divergence.

          The calls are tough sometimes ... just where are the borders?

          It is easiest to suggest you do as many of us do, and subscribe to both groups and carry on parallel topics when necessary. Slovak World has some great expertise we do not have on this forum.

          Ron M.
          Sometimes moderator,
          sometimes participant
          PS. My first trip was with no command of Slovak. I haven't hired a translator or researcher yet, but have known for a long time that I should.