Re: [S-R] Digest Number 528

  • Maureen Pulignano
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 8, 2001
      > He moved
      > > to the Saginaw are of Michigan. Some of his children spelled it with
      > > the extra 'E' and some did not.
      >

      > Was your great GF naturalized ?
      > Naturalization papers usually list surname birth place ?
      > In what year did he emigrate to the U.S. via NYC port of entry
      > (Ellis Island) ?
      >

      > Check the 1910 and 1920 Census. They will tell you if he was naturalized and
      > they will tell you what year he entered the US. Allow a year or two lee-way.

      Once you know the time-frame for naturalization (i.e., between 1910 and 1920),
      you can contact the NARA for that region via email and ask them to search for
      the papers. If they find them, they will let you know and tell you to send $10
      for copies. I got my grandfather's papers out of the Philadelphia NARA in 11
      days from the date of my email!

      Even if he was not naturalized, you can search the soundex index of passenger
      arrivals -- probably starting with NYC. The year of entry listed on the Census
      will help with this.

      Good luck!
      Maureen
    • Lindarose Veches