RE: [S-R] Latin meaning MARAFKO death record 1831

  • Ladislav Rosival
    Message 1 of 5 , May 2, 2012
      Hallo,

      I think it is not Hajdo Dualis but "Hajdo D(omi)nalis" - over the n is
      something (i dont know how to say in english) what says that the word is
      abrevitated.

      According to the dictionary
      http://www.vkjb.sk/File/anyakonyvvezetokszotara.PDF Hajdo (latin) = Hajd�
      (hungarian = Hajd�ch (slovak) like you said a kind of policmen but in work
      for a "landlord" = "dominus"

      http://slachta.kosztolanyi.com/modules.php?name=Forums
      <http://slachta.kosztolanyi.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=834
      3> &file=viewtopic&p=8343 (only in Slovak)

      The inde et oriundus cann be he lived in N Kurth when he dies, and also he
      was born there - but Iam not sure.

      Ladislav

      Message 2 of 5 , May 2, 2012
        Dear All:

        The HAJDO is most likely HADJU (plural HAJDUK). Here is a good article on
        the HADJU:

        _http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hajd%C3%BA_
        (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hajd%c3%ba)

        Best regards,

        David

        In a message dated 5/2/2012 8:20:02 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,

[...]

      • Armata, Joseph R
        Message 3 of 5 , May 2, 2012
          I think it's saying that he's a hajto (cattle driver) "residing in H. Kurth, and born there" (originating from there = inde oriundus).

          Joe

          ________________________________

          Message 4 of 5 , May 3, 2012
            Thanks all.
            One of the few words that have moved from Hungarian to Latin. Although it
            would be to Ecclesiastical Latin.
            Originally an armed cattle driver, later a foot soldier fighting against
            the Turks, sometimes mercenary. The occupation changed meaning as time went
            on and from country to country. One Hungarian reported that in later times
            they were employed in estates, partially to make sure work was being done.
            Not a popular person by some accounts.

            Peter M.