Latin meaning MARAFKO death record 1831

  • htcstech
    Message 1 of 5 , May 2, 2012
      Hello All,

      I'm finding difficulty with the following Latin phrases and how it applies
      to the deceased:

      "Hajdo Dualis in" H. Kurth
      and
      "Inde et oriundus" - referring to the death of Martinus MARAFKO.

      The original record is at
      https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-1-159391-336169-22?cc=1554443&wc=MMVV-N7V:1841685996
      On the left side, last entry for the 7th of September.

      FYI: H.Kurth is the shortened form of the town Hidas Kurth
      "Inde et oriundus" translates as 'thence arising from or born' but I don't
      know why some were given this phrase and others not.
      I really can't work out the "Hajdo" It could be Hungarian - but no
      dictionary will give me a translation. The closest I got was "once"
      Still, 'Once in the Dual' makes no sense to me.
      I vaguely remember that 'Hajdus' or a very similar word at the time meant
      something like a policeman or minor official (deputy) of sorts, but I can't
      see the priest making a spelling error like that.
      It struck me that the phrase may mean he was one of two 'Hajdo' in Hidas
      Kurth? Maybe?

      Any ideas?

      Peter M.

    • Ladislav Rosival
      Message 2 of 5 , May 2, 2012
        Hallo,

        I think it is not Hajdo Dualis but "Hajdo D(omi)nalis" - over the n is
        something (i dont know how to say in english) what says that the word is
        abrevitated.

        According to the dictionary
        http://www.vkjb.sk/File/anyakonyvvezetokszotara.PDF Hajdo (latin) = Hajd�
        (hungarian = Hajd�ch (slovak) like you said a kind of policmen but in work
        for a "landlord" = "dominus"

        http://slachta.kosztolanyi.com/modules.php?name=Forums
        <http://slachta.kosztolanyi.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=834
        3> &file=viewtopic&p=8343 (only in Slovak)

        The inde et oriundus cann be he lived in N Kurth when he dies, and also he
        was born there - but Iam not sure.

        Ladislav

        I'm finding difficulty with the following Latin phrases and how it applies
        to the deceased:

        "Hajdo Dualis in" H. Kurth
        and
        "Inde et oriundus" - referring to the death of Martinus MARAFKO.

        The original record is at
        https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-1-159391-336169-22?cc=1554443
        <https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-1-159391-336169-22?cc=1554443&wc=M
        MVV-N7V:1841685996> &wc=MMVV-N7V:1841685996

      • david1law@aol.com
        Message 3 of 5 , May 2, 2012
          Dear All:

          The HAJDO is most likely HADJU (plural HAJDUK). Here is a good article on
          the HADJU:

          _http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hajd%C3%BA_
          (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hajd%c3%ba)

          Best regards,

          David

          In a message dated 5/2/2012 8:20:02 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,

[...]

        • Armata, Joseph R
          Message 4 of 5 , May 2, 2012
            I think it's saying that he's a hajto (cattle driver) "residing in H. Kurth, and born there" (originating from there = inde oriundus).

            Joe

            ________________________________

            Message 5 of 5 , May 3, 2012
              Thanks all.
              One of the few words that have moved from Hungarian to Latin. Although it
              would be to Ecclesiastical Latin.
              Originally an armed cattle driver, later a foot soldier fighting against
              the Turks, sometimes mercenary. The occupation changed meaning as time went
              on and from country to country. One Hungarian reported that in later times
              they were employed in estates, partially to make sure work was being done.
              Not a popular person by some accounts.

              Peter M.