Re: [S-R] How to sway a priest

  • helene cincebeaux
    Message 1 of 13 , Apr 30, 2012
      These are good but try home-made slivovice or good brandy!

      helene

      Message 2 of 13 , Apr 30, 2012
        lol
        I should say that my dear mother who is in 78, is travelling there in a few
        weeks to sway the priest.
        She wanted to buy a special frock for the Sunday Mass, just for this
        purpose :)
        Funny as Hell when the shop assistants found out why she wanted it!

        Didn't think of brandy! Slivovice may be a bit rough on his presumably
        delicate throat.

        Peter M.

      • Jane Murray
        Message 3 of 13 , May 1, 2012
          In my many years that I have been researching my family, the first place I always contacted was the Church.  I have come across some very helpful rectories that are willing to let you look at records, and some very hostile priest that refuse any searching.  I have always in all cases made a donation to the Church for their assistance; besides money it could include lunch, flowers, and in one case "several" bottles of good red wine.  One priest at Polish St. Roche's RC Church in Johnstown Pa actually yelled at me for digging into confidential material that no one should have access to. I am going to send a letter to the churches in Slovakia where my ancestors lived, if they respond I will be grateful; if they do not, I close that book. Jane

          >>> Post 1895 is a different story and soon, my people on the ground over there will soon find out if the very reluctant priest can be swayed to show what he's got. <<<

          Post 1895, the records are in the local civic records office. Of course, the church may have tracked its parishioners as well.