Re: [S-R] Domicella Maria Kesmarszky

  • Jane Murray
    Message 1 of 13 , Apr 29, 2012
      Janet,
      I know she is not related.  My question pertains to how would I find the relationship between her and my ancestors?  Could it possibly be an employer/employee situation, or maybe just friends.  You are correct, I probably will never know. I am leaning towards the involvement with the Church.  I have not seen her name tied to other individuals in the records I was searching, but to be quite honest, I zero my searching to my ancestors last name and not the Godparents name, so they could be tied to others.
      I rechecked the word "Domicella" in my translation book; it can mean Lady, servant, or nun. My family was very religious, my gg grandfather was a Cantor/Musician, when I think of Cantors I think of Church; his son (my g grandfather) was said to be studying for the priesthood before he fell in love with my ggrandmother.  I guess it is just wishful thinking on my part that records would be kept at the Church or Town hall that would give some indication of the history of Domicella Maria Kesmarszky, was she a nun, was she a wealthy noble and where does my family fit into this?
      I guess the show "Who do you think you are" gives a person the idea that records are available you just need to keep digging to find them.  My mission in the fall will be to write to the Church in Torysa, I believe I will find my answers there, if not I can at least say I tried.  Jane

      ________________________________
      Message 2 of 13 , Apr 29, 2012
        http://torysa.ocu.sk/sk/

        Can anyone imagine Parishes in Slovakia searching records for anyone??  Records were moved to specific area locations.  I have no idea where for this area but someone here might.

        Z Bohom,

        Vilo

        ________________________________

        Message 3 of 13 , Apr 29, 2012
          I've heard most recently, that the village records 'Anyakonyv' prior to
          1895 were all collected and placed in the state and regional archives as
          they were in fact, the only civil registrations of the time. Churches were
          instructed by the secular authorities to record all baptisms/marriages and
          deaths according to a state rubric, even those of no religion. I'm not sure
          when this law started, but it meant that records were now owned by the
          state.

          Therefore only church records after 1895 are actually owned by the church.

          Now your mileage may vary, as I'm sure that some churches kept copies or
          were instructed to make copies, however there is one that I know of that
          has no record or copy and refers all questions relating to genealogy to the
          state archives. Post 1895 is a different story and soon, my people on the
          ground over there will soon find out if the very reluctant priest can be
          swayed to show what he's got.
          Slightly off topic, does any one have some ideas of how to sway a reluctant
          catholic priest?
          Some said a nice bottle of wine or maybe a significant donation?

          Peter M.

        • William C. Wormuth
          Message 4 of 13 , Apr 29, 2012
            Peter,

            I was told, that when the records for my town, Kúty, were taken and placed in the regional archives, a native Kúcan priest, (retired), hand copied them.

            I can't imagine how but it was our pastor,in 1973 who told me.  I was also advised that when requested, the person will be sent to the archives.

            Being a Pastor involves a great deal of work.  He says mass twice daily, Morning and late in the afternoon.  He fills in when neighboring priests are away.  He must attend to funerals, ans Baptisms.  He teaches religion each day in schools.  He also manages the Parish, including finances.

            Yours and my writings here are contributions to Slovak-Roots because our people need to understand the "record seeking" process.

            Thank you for your input.

            Z Bohom,

            Vilo

            ________________________________
            I've heard most recently, that the village records 'Anyakonyv' prior to
            1895 were all collected and placed in the state and regional archives as
            they were in fact, the only civil registrations of the time. Churches were
            instructed by the secular authorities to record all baptisms/marriages and
            deaths according to a state rubric, even those of no religion. I'm not sure
            when this law started, but it meant that records were now owned by the
            state.

            Therefore only church records after 1895 are actually owned by the church.

            Now your mileage may vary, as I'm sure that some churches kept copies or
            were instructed to make copies, however there is one that I know of that
            has no record or copy and refers all questions relating to genealogy to the
            state archives. Post 1895 is a different story and soon, my people on the
            ground over there will soon find out if the very reluctant priest can be
            swayed to show what he's got.
            Slightly off topic, does any one have some ideas of how to sway a reluctant
            catholic priest?
            Some said a nice bottle of wine or maybe a significant donation?

            Peter M.

            On 30 April 2012 13:52, William C. Wormuth <senzus@...> wrote:

            > **
            >

            > http://torysa.ocu.sk/sk/
            >
            > Can anyone imagine Parishes in Slovakia searching records for anyone??
            > Records were moved to specific area locations.  I have no idea where for
            > this area but someone here might.
            >
            > Z Bohom,
            >
            > Vilo
            >
            > ________________________________

          • John
            Message 5 of 13 , Apr 30, 2012
              >>> Post 1895 is a different story and soon, my people on the ground over there will soon find out if the very reluctant priest can be swayed to show what he's got. <<<

              Post 1895, the records are in the local civic records office. Of course, the church may have tracked its parishioners as well.
            • helene cincebeaux
              Message 6 of 13 , Apr 30, 2012
                These are good but try home-made slivovice or good brandy!

                helene

                > 1895 were all collected and placed in the state and regional
                > archives as
                > they were in fact, the only civil registrations of the time.
                > Churches were
                > instructed by the secular authorities to record all
                > baptisms/marriages and
                > deaths according to a state rubric, even those of no
                > religion. I'm not sure
                > when this law started, but it meant that records were now
                > owned by the
                > state.
                >
                > Therefore only church records after 1895 are actually owned
                > by the church.
                >
                > Now your mileage may vary, as I'm sure that some churches
                > kept copies or
                > were instructed to make copies, however there is one that I
                > know of that
                > has no record or copy and refers all questions relating to
                > genealogy to the
                > state archives. Post 1895 is a different story and soon, my
                > people on the
                > ground over there will soon find out if the very reluctant
                > priest can be
                > swayed to show what he's got.
                > Slightly off topic, does any one have some ideas of how to
                > sway a reluctant
                > catholic priest?
                > Some said a nice bottle of wine or maybe a significant
                > donation?
                >
                > Peter M.
                >
                > On 30 April 2012 13:52, William C. Wormuth <senzus@...>
                > wrote:
                >
                > > **
                > >

                > > http://torysa.ocu.sk/sk/
                > >
                > > Can anyone imagine Parishes in Slovakia searching
                > records for anyone??
                > > Records were moved to specific area locations.  I
                > have no idea where for
                > > this area but someone here might.
                > >
                > > Z Bohom,
                > >
                > > Vilo
                > >
                > > ________________________________

              • htcstech
                Message 7 of 13 , Apr 30, 2012
                  lol
                  I should say that my dear mother who is in 78, is travelling there in a few
                  weeks to sway the priest.
                  She wanted to buy a special frock for the Sunday Mass, just for this
                  purpose :)
                  Funny as Hell when the shop assistants found out why she wanted it!

                  Didn't think of brandy! Slivovice may be a bit rough on his presumably
                  delicate throat.

                  Peter M.

                  Message 8 of 13 , May 1, 2012
                    In my many years that I have been researching my family, the first place I always contacted was the Church.  I have come across some very helpful rectories that are willing to let you look at records, and some very hostile priest that refuse any searching.  I have always in all cases made a donation to the Church for their assistance; besides money it could include lunch, flowers, and in one case "several" bottles of good red wine.  One priest at Polish St. Roche's RC Church in Johnstown Pa actually yelled at me for digging into confidential material that no one should have access to. I am going to send a letter to the churches in Slovakia where my ancestors lived, if they respond I will be grateful; if they do not, I close that book. Jane