Re: [S-R] Re: Sinko - ancestors from Kelemes

  • PHILBAER@aol.com
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 29, 2012
      Rose,
      I too have ancestors from Kelemes - family name of Medvecz. As you may or
      may not know, Kelemes is now L'ubotice just outside of Presov. What was your
      Mother's maiden name? IAs I scan the LDS records for Kelemes, I can watch
      for your ancestors.

      Philip Baer

      In a message dated 4/29/2012 4:49:34 P.M. Central Daylight Time,
      rstate5215@... writes:

      Hello Tom!
      I'm Rose.....ty for your reply and your patience!
      I am not sure what I have that one would consider fact...vs. conjecture.
      I am positive I am Slovak on my mothers side which is how I landed
      here...that side I have from relatives to(or dating from 1880 from Kelemes
      Presov,Slovakia). :)
      Now my fathers side....I am the youngest of (5) of the middle son out of
      12 but estranged from them based in distance and being only 6 when my Father
      died.
      What I think I know....for sure...My Father Paul Sinko b:1/18/1937
      d:2/04/1978
      child of Baltous James Sinko b.1/23/1905 d. 2/28/1985 (possibly aka Robert
      James Sancos?) rumoured to be 4 coming through Ellis Island and I may have
      mistyped Glowgow meaning to have typed Glasgow Scotland.......married to
      Margaret Elizabeth Fisher?
      Father of Baltous
      ...Albert Price Fis(c?)her
      Mother ...Myrtle Lavina Wallace
      The data I am trying to rescue is coming from my fathers second oldest
      sister who was born Helen Marie (Sancos?) Sinko...her birth date is 9/28/1928,
      so the dates are fuzzy with age related recall.
      As for the Gibson Mine
      _http://patheoldminer.rootsweb.ancestry.com/edna1.html_ (http://patheoldminer.rootsweb.ancestry.com/edna1.html)
      My relatives(history of being miners) lived in the Monongahela area that I
      recall so Donora/Pittsburgh/ Monesson ....that is what I rember reading and
      I do believe hearing somewhere....the county hailing would most likely be
      Washington county Pennsylvania...so Not sure about the Indiana refence.
      Is this any more to work with?
      As for ethicinty I am unsure.... I have heard it all Polish, Welsh,
      Scottish,Hungarian,Lithuainian...Slovak...
      Oh and just curious should I have placed this under a different topic?
      yahoo groups are new to me.
      Thanks Rose

    • vera holman
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 30, 2012
        Hello each and everyone in this group, the "Slovak-Roots!." It is great to
        see how they help each other with their many unknowns! I am grateful
        for the person putting the url for the mines in Penna!!. "Rose, was it
        you?" It was most profitable to me , as I have been trying on AC , for six
        months, to find the death notice of my grandfather. Low and Behold, it was
        found on that url on mines! Thank you very much!! You made my day!! God
        bless!
        Vera Holman

      • rstate5215
        Message 3 of 7 , May 1, 2012
          I actually have it down as Sharisko,Presov...with a later descendant from Kelemes? But I find no existance of Sharisko.

          --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, PHILBAER@... wrote:

          > Rose,
          > I too have ancestors from Kelemes - family name of Medvecz. As you may or
          > may not know, Kelemes is now L'ubotice just outside of Presov. What was your
          > Mother's maiden name? IAs I scan the LDS records for Kelemes, I can watch
          > for your ancestors.
          >
          > Philip Baer
          >

          > In a message dated 4/29/2012 4:49:34 P.M. Central Daylight Time,
          > rstate5215@... writes:
          >

          > Hello Tom!
          > I'm Rose.....ty for your reply and your patience!
          > I am not sure what I have that one would consider fact...vs. conjecture.
          > I am positive I am Slovak on my mothers side which is how I landed
          > here...that side I have from relatives to(or dating from 1880 from Kelemes
          > Presov,Slovakia). :)
          > Now my fathers side....I am the youngest of (5) of the middle son out of
          > 12 but estranged from them based in distance and being only 6 when my Father
          > died.
          > What I think I know....for sure...My Father Paul Sinko b:1/18/1937
          > d:2/04/1978
          > child of Baltous James Sinko b.1/23/1905 d. 2/28/1985 (possibly aka Robert
          > James Sancos?) rumoured to be 4 coming through Ellis Island and I may have
          > mistyped Glowgow meaning to have typed Glasgow Scotland.......married to
          > Margaret Elizabeth Fisher?
          > Father of Baltous
          > ...Albert Price Fis(c?)her
          > Mother ...Myrtle Lavina Wallace
          > The data I am trying to rescue is coming from my fathers second oldest
          > sister who was born Helen Marie (Sancos?) Sinko...her birth date is 9/28/1928,
          > so the dates are fuzzy with age related recall.
          > As for the Gibson Mine
          > _http://patheoldminer.rootsweb.ancestry.com/edna1.html_ (http://patheoldminer.rootsweb.ancestry.com/edna1.html)
          > My relatives(history of being miners) lived in the Monongahela area that I
          > recall so Donora/Pittsburgh/ Monesson ....that is what I rember reading and
          > I do believe hearing somewhere....the county hailing would most likely be
          > Washington county Pennsylvania...so Not sure about the Indiana refence.
          > Is this any more to work with?
          > As for ethicinty I am unsure.... I have heard it all Polish, Welsh,
          > Scottish,Hungarian,Lithuainian...Slovak...
          > Oh and just curious should I have placed this under a different topic?
          > yahoo groups are new to me.
          > Thanks Rose

        • John
          Message 4 of 7 , May 1, 2012
            >>> Sharisko,Presov...with a later descendant from Kelemes? But I find no existance of Sharisko. <<<

            Presov, Slovakia; formerly Eperjes, Sáros, Hungary. [Sharisko] = Saros Megye (county).

            L'ubotice, Slovakia, formerly Kellemes, Sáros, Hungary.
          • david1law@aol.com
            Message 5 of 7 , May 1, 2012
              What you have as SHARISKO is most likely a reference to Šarišsko župa
              meaning "Šariš county." The town of Presov is located in Šariš county.

              I hope that this helps a little.

              Best regards,

              David

              --- In _SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com_ (mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com)
              , PHILBAER@... wrote:

              > Rose,
              > I too have ancestors from Kelemes - family name of Medvecz. As you may
              or
              > may not know, Kelemes is now L'ubotice just outside of Presov. What was
              your
              > Mother's maiden name? IAs I scan the LDS records for Kelemes, I can
              watch
              > for your ancestors.
              >
              > Philip Baer
              >

              > In a message dated 4/29/2012 4:49:34 P.M. Central Daylight Time,
              > rstate5215@... writes:
              >

              > Hello Tom!
              > I'm Rose.....ty for your reply and your patience!
              > I am not sure what I have that one would consider fact...vs. conjecture.
              > I am positive I am Slovak on my mothers side which is how I landed
              > here...that side I have from relatives to(or dating from 1880 from
              Kelemes
              > Presov,Slovakia). :)
              > Now my fathers side....I am the youngest of (5) of the middle son out of
              > 12 but estranged from them based in distance and being only 6 when my
              Father
              > died.
              > What I think I know....for sure...My Father Paul Sinko b:1/18/1937
              > d:2/04/1978
              > child of Baltous James Sinko b.1/23/1905 d. 2/28/1985 (possibly aka
              Robert
              > James Sancos?) rumoured to be 4 coming through Ellis Island and I may
              have
              > mistyped Glowgow meaning to have typed Glasgow Scotland.......married to
              > Margaret Elizabeth Fisher?
              > Father of Baltous
              > ...Albert Price Fis(c?)her
              > Mother ...Myrtle Lavina Wallace
              > The data I am trying to rescue is coming from my fathers second oldest
              > sister who was born Helen Marie (Sancos?) Sinko...her birth date is
              9/28/1928,
              > so the dates are fuzzy with age related recall.
              > As for the Gibson Mine
              > __http://patheoldminer.rootsweb.ancestry.com/edna1.html__
              (http://patheoldminer.rootsweb.ancestry.com/edna1.html_)
              (_http://patheoldminer.rootsweb.ancestry.com/edna1.html_
              (http://patheoldminer.rootsweb.ancestry.com/edna1.html) )
              > My relatives(history of being miners) lived in the Monongahela area that
              > recall so Donora/Pittsburgh/ Monesson ....that is what I rember reading
              and
              > I do believe hearing somewhere....the county hailing would most likely
              be
              > Washington county Pennsylvania...so Not sure about the Indiana refence.
              > Is this any more to work with?
              > As for ethicinty I am unsure.... I have heard it all Polish, Welsh,
              > Scottish,Hungarian,Lithuainian...Slovak...
              > Oh and just curious should I have placed this under a different topic?
              > yahoo groups are new to me.
              > Thanks Rose

            • rstate5215
              Message 6 of 7 , May 1, 2012
                Thank you, that is most helpful!...any range of dates?

                Message 7 of 7 , May 2, 2012
                  From Cisarik:

                  OLD NAMES of the village(town):
                  1773 Kellemes, Kelemes, 1786 Kelemesch, 1808 Kelemes, Kellemes, Kelemeš, 1863–1913 Kellemes, 1920–1948 Kelemeš, 1948–1970, 1990– Ľubotice