Re: Sinko

  • Rose Tate
    Message 1 of 22 , Apr 29 2:49 PM
      Hello Tom!
      I'm Rose.....ty for your reply and your patience!
      I am not sure what I have that one would consider fact...vs. conjecture.
      I am positive I am Slovak on my mothers side which is how I landed here...that side I have from relatives to(or dating from 1880 from Kelemes Presov,Slovakia). :)
      Now my fathers side....I am the youngest of (5) of the middle son out of 12 but estranged from them based in distance and being only 6 when my Father died.
      What I think I know....for sure...My Father Paul Sinko b:1/18/1937 d:2/04/1978
      child of Baltous James Sinko b.1/23/1905 d. 2/28/1985 (possibly aka Robert James Sancos?) rumoured to be 4 coming through Ellis Island and I may have mistyped Glowgow meaning to have typed Glasgow Scotland.......married to Margaret Elizabeth Fisher?
      Father of Baltous
      ...Albert Price Fis(c?)her
      Mother ...Myrtle Lavina Wallace
      The data I am trying to rescue is coming from my fathers second oldest sister who was born Helen Marie (Sancos?) Sinko...her birth date is 9/28/1928, so the dates are fuzzy with age related recall.
      As for the Gibson Mine http://patheoldminer.rootsweb.ancestry.com/edna1.html
      My relatives(history of being miners) lived in the Monongahela area that I recall so Donora/Pittsburgh/ Monesson ....that is what I rember reading and I do believe hearing somewhere....the county hailing would most likely be Washington county Pennsylvania...so Not sure about the Indiana refence.
      Is this any more to work with?
      As for ethicinty I am unsure.... I have heard it all Polish, Welsh, Scottish,Hungarian,Lithuainian...Slovak...
      Oh and just curious should I have placed this under a different topic? yahoo groups are new to me.
      Thanks Rose

    • t.salony
      Message 2 of 22 , Apr 29 2:56 PM
        "rstate",

        - Found a "Gibson Mine" in Bentleyville, Washington Co., Pa
        - Found numerous SINKOs, many in Southwestern PA in various census.
        - Find that SINKO surname is still found in Slovakia.
        - Still no idea what or where "Glowgow" might have been.

        TOM

        --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "t.salony" <t.salony@...> wrote:

        > "rstate",
        >
        > I'm guessing clearer info will be needed for someone to help you.
        > "Gibson mine" sounds vaguely familiar, but the one I find is in the state of Indiana. Where is the Gibson mine to which you refer?
        > Searching Ellis Island records using the Morse gold form yields exactly one "Glowgow", but it is a transcription error and actually is Glogow, Austria (for a Polish person). Where do you find the word "Glowgow"?
        > SINKO immigrants in Pennsylvania...Where in PA? What else can you tell us about them?
        >
        > TOM
        >

        > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "rstate5215" <rstate5215@> wrote:
        > >
        > > Looking for information on Pennylvania Sinko immigrants and ancestors migrating from Glowgow in the early 1900's Most likely 1908.
        > > Or Mine workers from the Gibson mine.

      • t.salony
        Message 3 of 22 , Apr 29 2:59 PM
          Hi Rose,

          I was typing as you were sending! Will take a look a little later at what you have posted.

          TOM

          --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, Rose Tate <rstate5215@...> wrote:

          > Hello Tom!
          > I'm Rose.....ty for your reply and your patience!
          > I am not sure what I have that one would consider fact...vs. conjecture.
          > I am positive I am Slovak on my mothers side which is how I landed here...that side I have from relatives to(or dating from 1880 from Kelemes Presov,Slovakia). :)
          > Now my fathers side....I am the youngest of (5) of the middle son out of 12 but estranged from them based in distance and being only 6 when my Father died.
          > What I think I know....for sure...My Father Paul Sinko b:1/18/1937 d:2/04/1978
          > child of Baltous James Sinko b.1/23/1905 d. 2/28/1985 (possibly aka Robert James Sancos?) rumoured to be 4 coming through Ellis Island and I may have mistyped Glowgow meaning to have typed Glasgow Scotland.......married to Margaret Elizabeth Fisher?
          > Father of Baltous
          > ...Albert Price Fis(c?)her
          > Mother ...Myrtle Lavina Wallace
          > The data I am trying to rescue is coming from my fathers second oldest sister who was born Helen Marie (Sancos?) Sinko...her birth date is 9/28/1928, so the dates are fuzzy with age related recall.
          > As for the Gibson Mine http://patheoldminer.rootsweb.ancestry.com/edna1.html
          > My relatives(history of being miners) lived in the Monongahela area that I recall so Donora/Pittsburgh/ Monesson ....that is what I rember reading and I do believe hearing somewhere....the county hailing would most likely be Washington county Pennsylvania...so Not sure about the Indiana refence.
          > Is this any more to work with?
          > As for ethicinty I am unsure.... I have heard it all Polish, Welsh, Scottish,Hungarian,Lithuainian...Slovak...
          > Oh and just curious should I have placed this under a different topic? yahoo groups are new to me.
          > Thanks Rose

        • William C. Wormuth
          Message 4 of 22 , Apr 29 5:35 PM
            Glogow Poland

            http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/G%C5%82og%C3%B3w

            ________________________________
            - Found a "Gibson Mine" in Bentleyville, Washington Co., Pa
            - Found numerous SINKOs, many in Southwestern PA in various census.
            - Find that SINKO surname is still found in Slovakia.
            - Still no idea what or where "Glowgow" might have been.

            TOM

            --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "t.salony" <t.salony@...> wrote:

            > "rstate",
            >
            > I'm guessing clearer info will be needed for someone to help you.
            > "Gibson mine" sounds vaguely familiar, but the one I find is in the state of Indiana. Where is the Gibson mine to which you refer?
            > Searching Ellis Island records using the Morse gold form yields exactly one "Glowgow", but it is a transcription error and actually is Glogow, Austria (for a Polish person). Where do you find the word "Glowgow"?
            > SINKO immigrants in Pennsylvania...Where in PA? What else can you tell us about them?
            >
            > TOM
            >

            > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "rstate5215" <rstate5215@> wrote:
            > >
            > > Looking for information on Pennylvania Sinko immigrants and ancestors migrating from Glowgow in the early 1900's Most likely 1908.
            > > Or Mine workers from the Gibson mine.

          • rstate5215
            Message 5 of 22 , May 2, 2012
              How do you backtrack from the 1930's census records? this is the data I found....but need help as i am not willing to pay the fee for full record access...

              Census - US Federal 1930

              State: Pennsylvania
              1. Sinko, Baltous (b: 1905*) Household: Sinko, Margaret (b: 1906*) Sinko, Anna (b: 1928*) Sinko, Helen (b: 1929*)

              .

              Any help?

              Message 6 of 22 , May 2, 2012
                Naturalizations - PA Western

                … Records of the US Circuit and District Courts: Declarations of Intent and Petitions for Naturalizations, Oct 1820-Jan 1931 » 1930 » 1930-06-26 » Baltous Sinko » Petition for Naturalization
                State: Pennsylvania
                Short Description: NARA M1537. Naturalization petitions of the U.S. District Court, 1820-1930, and the Circuit Court, 1820-1911, for the Western District of Pennsylvania.
                Immigrant Full Name: Baltous Sinko
                Where would I go next?

                --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "rstate5215" <rstate5215@...> wrote:

                > How do you backtrack from the 1930's census records? this is the data I found....but need help as i am not willing to pay the fee for full record access...
                >

                > Census - US Federal 1930

                > State: Pennsylvania
                > 1. Sinko, Baltous (b: 1905*) Household: Sinko, Margaret (b: 1906*) Sinko, Anna (b: 1928*) Sinko, Helen (b: 1929*)
                >
                > .
                >

                > Any help?
                >
                > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "t.salony" <t.salony@> wrote:
                > >
                > > "rstate",
                > >
                > > - Found a "Gibson Mine" in Bentleyville, Washington Co., Pa
                > > - Found numerous SINKOs, many in Southwestern PA in various census.
                > > - Find that SINKO surname is still found in Slovakia.
                > > - Still no idea what or where "Glowgow" might have been.
                > >
                > > TOM
                > >
                > > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "t.salony" <t.salony@> wrote:
                > > >
                > > > "rstate",
                > > >
                > > > I'm guessing clearer info will be needed for someone to help you.
                > > > "Gibson mine" sounds vaguely familiar, but the one I find is in the state of Indiana. Where is the Gibson mine to which you refer?
                > > > Searching Ellis Island records using the Morse gold form yields exactly one "Glowgow", but it is a transcription error and actually is Glogow, Austria (for a Polish person). Where do you find the word "Glowgow"?
                > > > SINKO immigrants in Pennsylvania...Where in PA? What else can you tell us about them?
                > > >
                > > > TOM

              • htcstech
                Message 7 of 22 , May 3, 2012
                  Well I h�ve got full access to Ancestry.com till the 27th. I put your names
                  in 1930 federal census for Penn. Washington county and came up with nothing
                  specific. Otherwise I should have access to the full record.

                  Are you sure of the spellings and dates?
                  Or maybe I can,t use Ancestry,s front end properly.

                  Peter M.

                  Message 8 of 22 , May 3, 2012
                    Ignore last msg.

                    Message 9 of 22 , May 9, 2012
                      You guys have been wonderful help!.....But now I'm confused as to where or how to search next....I have no way of knowing my Grandfathers
                      parents name so what should I search next....My grandfather arrived as Barney Senker and switched to Baltous Sinko....
                      Any suggestions?

                      > Well I háve got full access to Ancestry.com till the 27th. I put your names
                      > in 1930 federal census for Penn. Washington county and came up with nothing
                      > specific. Otherwise I should have access to the full record.
                      >
                      > Are you sure of the spellings and dates?
                      > Or maybe I can,t use Ancestry,s front end properly.
                      >
                      > Peter M.
                      >
                      > On 3 May 2012 07:22, rstate5215 <rstate5215@...> wrote:
                      >
                      > > **
                      > >

                      > > How do you backtrack from the 1930's census records? this is the data I
                      > > found....but need help as i am not willing to pay the fee for full record
                      > > access...
                      > >
                      > > Census - US Federal 1930

                      > > State: Pennsylvania
                      > > 1. Sinko, Baltous (b: 1905*) Household: Sinko, Margaret (b: 1906*) Sinko,
                      > > Anna (b: 1928*) Sinko, Helen (b: 1929*)
                      > >
                      > > .
                      > >
                      > > Any help?
                      > >

                      > > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "t.salony" <t.salony@> wrote:
                      > > >
                      > > > "rstate",
                      > > >
                      > > > - Found a "Gibson Mine" in Bentleyville, Washington Co., Pa
                      > > > - Found numerous SINKOs, many in Southwestern PA in various census.
                      > > > - Find that SINKO surname is still found in Slovakia.
                      > > > - Still no idea what or where "Glowgow" might have been.
                      > > >
                      > > > TOM

                      > > state of Indiana. Where is the Gibson mine to which you refer?
                      > > exactly one "Glowgow", but it is a transcription error and actually is
                      > > Glogow, Austria (for a Polish person). Where do you find the word "Glowgow"?
                      > > us about them?

                      > > ancestors migrating from Glowgow in the early 1900's Most likely 1908.

                    • Nancy Gibbs
                      Message 10 of 22 , May 9, 2012
                        I have been doing some searches on Ancestry for you.  This is what I have found:

                        Baltous Sinko was living in Monongahela, Washington, PA in 1929;
                        A petition for citizenship and
                        Birth:  23 Jan 1905
                        Death:  Feb 1985

                        On Ellis Island's website I found:
                        Arrived 22 July 1907 on the ship Columbia with his parents Anton and Maggie.  Their last name was spelled "Seuker".  You can go to the Ellis Island website and see the passenger list for yourself.

                        If you want anything else, just post and I'll see if I can find anything else.

                        Nancy

                        Message 11 of 22 , May 9, 2012
                          Thank you, Thankyou.....I am having a wonderful time with my surname chase!....thank you for providing Parent names!

                          Message 12 of 22 , May 9, 2012
                            Well now you need to do some leg work. You have a probable last name of
                            SENKER to work with. You know that he was Lithuanian ethnicity born in 1905
                            in Glasgow, Scotland and was already in the US in 1907, making him 2 years
                            old when he arrived. Therefore most probably his parents came with him, or
                            at least some family. He most certainly didn't come over unassisted.

                            So the next step is to search the passenger manifests for Columbia that
                            arrived July 22nd 1907 to see what family came with him.
                            I'll do that for you (I still have a few days left on Ancestry.com) - check
                            your email.

                            OK. I found them
                            ~ Parents are listed as Polish from Russia~
                            Anton - 30yrs - Coal miner
                            Maggie - 26yrs
                            Barney - 2yrs

                            final destination of Elizabeth - that must be a town in the US near NY.

                            Peter M.

                          • Elaine
                            Message 13 of 22 , May 10, 2012
                              Re: OK. I found them
                              > ~ Parents are listed as Polish from Russia~
                              >
                              > final destination of Elizabeth - that must be a town in the US near NY.

                              Elizabeth New jersey is about 25 minutes by car from NYC

                              Sent from my iPhone

                              Message 14 of 22 , May 10, 2012
                                Thanks Elaine!
                                Considering I'm in Australia, I had no idea.

                                Cheers

                                Peter M.

                                Message 15 of 22 , May 10, 2012
                                  ould they have been Rusyn?  Polish Rusyns, (Lemko), people sometimes wrote that they were Rissian", because it is direct translation for Rus.

                                  Z Bohom,

                                  Vilo

                                  ________________________________

                                  Message 16 of 22 , May 10, 2012
                                    So are you saying that a polish Russian would consider himself a Lemko, or that Lemko is a specific surname?

                                    Message 17 of 22 , May 10, 2012
                                      No, I believe they might have been Rusyn and not Russian.  Upon ship manifest or entry in Ellis, the would have been asked for nationality.  If the response was Polsky Rus.  The interviewer would have written Polish Russian.  I doubt they would have stated Polish/Russian.

                                      Z Bohom,

                                      vilo

                                      ________________________________
                                      So are you saying that a polish Russian would consider himself a Lemko, or that Lemko is a specific surname?

                                      > ould they have been Rusyn?  Polish Rusyns, (Lemko), people sometimes wrote that they were Rissian", because it is direct translation for Rus.
                                      >
                                      > Z Bohom,
                                      >
                                      > Vilo
                                      >

                                      > ________________________________

                                    • CurtB
                                      Message 18 of 22 , May 10, 2012
                                        The important thing to remember is that before 1917, Poland as country did not exist. It was divided among Germany, Russia, and Austria. So the immigration records indicate that he is of Polish ethnicity, but came from the Polish territory under the control of Russia, so he was a Russian citizen. The Polish borders were substantially changed after both the first World War, and the Second World War.

                                        Curt B.

                                        Curt B/

                                        Message 19 of 22 , May 10, 2012
                                          Curt,

                                          Thanx for the info, I was not aware of those historical facts.

                                          The info I gav concernin Rusyns might be of help fo some here.

                                          Z Bohom,

                                          Vilo

                                          ________________________________

                                          Message 20 of 22 , May 11, 2012
                                            All true, but he considered himself of Lithuanian ethnicity, which probably
                                            means that the parents spoke Lithuanian at home.
                                            I can see how Russia equates to Lithuania at the time as the Duchy was
                                            under Russian control.
                                            Prior to that, there was the Lithuanian-Polish Commonwealth that lasted a
                                            few centuries, so I can also see how the Polish reference came about.

                                            Methinks Senker/Sinko were Lithuanians in Polish territory controlled by
                                            Russia.
                                            After all, immigration would be asking them directly about their origins.
                                            They already knew the family emigrated from Scotland, so this is a personal
                                            statement.

                                            Peter M.