Re: [S-R] Genealogy research

  • William C. Wormuth
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 28 11:24 AM
      www.konekta.sk/    This site is for Vladimir Bohinc, who does Geneaology work in Slovakia.  He is a former contributor to SW and a friend of mine and many former SW members used his services. He has a very informative site.  Vlado is English speaking.
      I know nothing about his charges but he has been in business for years.  He lives in Nove Mesto nad Vahom.

      ________________________________
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 28 12:26 PM
        Thank you! I've just sent him a message, as I will be in Slovakia in six weeks.

        Sue

        [mailto:jmm%40pathbridge.net] jmm@...

        On Apr 26, 2012, at 10:47 PM, Vladimir Linder wrote:

        > I can confirm that not even archives are doing
        > any research anymore. You have to hire someone to
        > go there and personally research it. Or you can
        > hire someone in Slovakia and they will have to research it for you for a fee.
        >
        > Vladi
        >

        > At 06:53 PM 4/26/2012, you wrote:
        >>

        >> About four years ago I asked the City Hall at
        >> Spisska Nova Ves to trace my grandmother's
        >> ancestors , and they got me her grandparents and
        >> great grandparents, all the way back to 1764 (Cost me almost $200.00).
        >> I used a form that I got from the Slovak
        >> consulate in L.A., on which I was asked my limit in spending??
        >>
        >> I have heard?? that they no longer do this?? One
        >> could probably find out for sure by calling the Slovak Consulate?
        >> They gave me birth dates, marriage dates, names of and found siblings, etc.
        >> Tom

      • htcstech
        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 28 7:18 PM
          Hello Julie,
          You are right, though there's been a few cases where insight from a pro
          genealogist in contact with the right archivist can find solutions to
          ancestry that church records won't give easily. There may be archives on
          land ownership, probates and judgements, Hungarian, Czech, Ukrainian and
          Austrian records, official notices, lists that are not available on-line
          and so on.
          Depends on what you ultimately want and how deep and how far in the past
          you're willing to go.

          Peter M

          On 28 April 2012 10:38, Julie Michutka <jmm@...> wrote:

          > **
          >

          > (While I am including Vlad's reply below, my response is directed at all,
          > not just Vlad)
          >
          > Am I misunderstanding something? For research pre-1895 or thereabouts,
          > about the only records available are parish records and maybe (if you're
          > lucky) census records, of which only one is an every-name census. And these
          > have been microfilmed, and many many of the parish records are now online
          > at FamilySearch.org. I guess I should not omit military records which are
          > also of limited help, although not as easy to use.
          >
          > So, short of needing research in post-1895 records, one could hire a
          > researcher anywhere that there is access to LDS microfilms (or do it
          > oneself), or research the parish records online.
          >
          > While I haven't been able to get to archives in Slovakia yet (my goal
          > every summer, and every year put off again), I suspect there are more
          > records that can flesh out some ancestors' lives and possibly document
          > relationships (parent-child, for example). But the main source of our
          > Slovak ancestral research has always been parish records.
          >
          > Am I missing something? Why would on-site archival research be needed for
          > basic pre-1895 genealogical research?
          >
          > Julie Michutka
          > jmm@...
          >

          > On Apr 26, 2012, at 10:47 PM, Vladimir Linder wrote:
          >
          > > I can confirm that not even archives are doing
          > > any research anymore. You have to hire someone to
          > > go there and personally research it. Or you can
          > > hire someone in Slovakia and they will have to research it for you for a
          > fee.
          > >
          > > Vladi
          > >

          > > At 06:53 PM 4/26/2012, you wrote:
          > >>

          > >> About four years ago I asked the City Hall at
          > >> Spisska Nova Ves to trace my grandmother's
          > >> ancestors , and they got me her grandparents and
          > >> great grandparents, all the way back to 1764 (Cost me almost $200.00).
          > >> I used a form that I got from the Slovak
          > >> consulate in L.A., on which I was asked my limit in spending??
          > >>
          > >> I have heard?? that they no longer do this?? One
          > >> could probably find out for sure by calling the Slovak Consulate?
          > >> They gave me birth dates, marriage dates, names of and found siblings,
          > etc.
          > >> Tom

        • Julie Michutka
          Message 4 of 9 , Apr 28 8:50 PM
            That's what I've suspected, Peter. Information in town histories hints that there is more to glean than just the parish records. The archivists I've heard speak on this seemed to be thinking like archivists and not like genealogists (no disrespect meant to archivists). Correlation of bits of information can effective; even records that don't deal specifically with names and relationships can give background information on the situation (historical, economic, whatever) in which a person lived, or lead to insights in interpretation of records.

            Can't wait to get back to Slovakia.

            Julie Michutka
            jmm@...