HEINDL or PITOUR surnames

  • deidreh@tophitsmusic.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 6, 2001
      I am looking for help with getting documents from Czech. My great
      great grandfather Adam HEINDL came over from Bohemia through Ellis
      Island. At that time they changed the spelling to HEINDEL. He moved
      to the Saginaw are of Michigan. Some of his children spelled it with
      the extra 'E' and some did not. Also, I know that my grandmothers
      father, John PITOUR was from Prague, Czech, but I have no further
      info about it, except that he was born in 1880. This info is per his
      death certificate from the saginaw, MI area.
      Any idea how to find out where in Bohemia someone is from if that is
      the only info you have? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
      Deidre
      deidreh@...
    • frankur@att.net
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 7, 2001
        --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@y..., deidreh@t... wrote:
        > I am looking for help with getting documents from Czech. My great
        > great grandfather Adam HEINDL came over from Bohemia through Ellis
        > Island. At that time they changed the spelling to HEINDEL. He moved
        > to the Saginaw are of Michigan. Some of his children spelled it with
        > the extra 'E' and some did not. Also, I know that my grandmothers
        > father, John PITOUR was from Prague, Czech, but I have no further
        > info about it, except that he was born in 1880. This info is per his
        > death certificate from the saginaw, MI area.
        > Any idea how to find out where in Bohemia someone is from if that is
        > the only info you have? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
        > Deidre
        > deidreh@t...

        Probably 500-750 surname Heindl bearers just in the U.S.
        Probably 600-900 surname Heindel bearers just in the U.S.
        The surnames are probably of German ethnicity *
        German and Czech languages were both used in former Czech-Bohemia.
        Bohemia = Böhmen (G)

        The German telephone White Pages list thousands of Heindl/Heindel
        surnames.

        Was your great GF naturalized ?
        Naturalization papers usually list surname birth place ?
        In what year did he emigrate to the U.S. via NYC port of entry
        (Ellis Island) ?

        The current Czech telephone directory list 2 surname Pitour under
        Prague (Praha)

        Frantis^ek (Frank) Pitour
        Libuse Pitourov√° (feminine version of family name Pitour)

        * The German ethnic group in Bohemia were known as Sudenten Germans.
        After the end of WW II, the Czechs expelled the approx. 3.0 million
        Germans in Czechoslovakia (especially those from the Sudentenland)
        back to Germany and ethnically cleansed 200,000 by starvation and
        execution.