Re: [S-R] MIHALKO, SEMINSKY, KLIMCO, or KURUC families in Velky Saris

  • William C. Wormuth
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 24, 2012
      Robert,

      Asking about life before the immigrations  could result in many, many, answers. The number one is where your people were from.

       It depends on many factors but in my experience, as I have traveled throughout Slovakia, Eastern Slovaks had the hardest lives in comparison to the western Slovaks and they still do.

      In fact, I have heard quite a few times, that the Royalty had the right to spend the first night with a new bride and some did.  In the west the people lived closer to Austria and although the Austrians were not rulers, they made use of Slovak laborers in the fields and vineyards but not until the work was complete in their own. They were not paid in hard cash but in field products and Grapes  I have never heard of Austrians misusing our people, neither from Slovaks or Moravians.

      Once the word got out that life was and good life in America, People began to save enough to pay for their male children to go to America, make a better life for themselves and send enough to make life easier for families at home.

      Ror us to see children 9 years of age working in the fields, digging planting, weeding and harvesting but to them it was normal.  They were required to speak Hungarian and/or German.  They had no hope to do anything more then slave as they did.

      My people, (Western), Came here with a plan in mind to make a small fortune, return home and open businesses. Some however ran away to escape Hungarian military service.

      They worked very hard, saved money, sent for wives,children and members from both families.  When some returned, they found that life there was "socially", not a free as in America and most soon returned, spreading the "word".  Some stayed to care for elder parents and some who were under strict parental control, were not allowed return.  Many whom I know, sent for their parents.

      Although they received pay in my home town, they were treated as Paid Slaves, which was why they were given job.  The Upper class of educated plant owners, doctors lawyers teachers, etc.. had sometimes 4 or 5 women working in their Victorian homes and the woman of the house, changes clothes 3 or 4 times a day and spent her time rocking on the porch or entertaining friends.  Of course there were some who were kind to them.  Women also worked in shops sewing gloves.

      The first thing they wanted to do was to learn English.

      Our people realized that unless they educate their children, there was no hope for them succeeding, so the children began receiving education.

      These Slovak people were generally, so kind to each other that it was amazing.  During the height of immigration, my Grandparents might have so many people staying with them that people slept sideways in bed in order to fit everyone.  These people stayed until they began working or moved to places like mining towns in WV, Pa and OH.  My Grandfather was trained from age 11 to 17, in a cabinet maker school.  Here he worked in a leather mill and also did carpentry work.  Because of his language skills, (Slovak, Czech, High and low German and Hungarian), he was able to help those with those languages.  The Mill owner befriended him when he found about his German skill and Gramp read and wrote letters for him.  As the friendship "blossomed", Gramp was able to find employment for many Slovak people.

      Through all of this experience Home and in America, our people were very Happy and Accepting, full of Love, Humor and Excitement. My Gramp told me so very many stories and I don't know how to organize them into a Book.

      Our people went to the Irish church and stood in the rear in a group, because the pews were purchased by families and others were not allowed to sit.  After mass, they left in a group and stood together in a group on the street corner.  Gramps friend Jan, had purchased a new pair of tan leather and was bragging about them and how much money he had.One of the prettiest girls, ruched up to him put her hands around hi neck pulling him down while she kisses him.  She then jumped down and ran away.  He smiled at his success until he looked down and saw thaat seh had urinated on his shoes, (women didn't wear underwear in those days).  Everyone laughed and told him that it was good he came to mass because he learned Humility.  He was named Jan Pokorny, John Humble.

      Hope this gives you a picture of their lives at home and here.

      God Bless,

      Vilo