Re: [S-R] 1720 census - Tancza, Slovakia - Szaboo

  • William C. Wormuth
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 21, 2012
      Jane,

      First try the Google translate. It is free!

      I use Firefox and my Home Page is Google, ('cause I'm in love with it).  On my Home Page I have Weather for Johnstown, NY, Gbely, Spis~ska Nova Ves, and Kos~ice, Slovakia, Plus Gas Prices, Temp. converter,....etc.

      Using the translation, I translate many languages including Hungarian Latin and Slovak.  Additionally, You might like to use: http://szotar.sztaki.hu/english-hungarian

      Please Note:  The Google is not 100% accurate but cuts the time it takes.  I can't judge the Szotar Sztaki and seldom use it.

      There are 2 time savers in searches.  One is Ellis Island and people should join, to read original manifests and even obtain Ship info and picture.  Two is Phone directories for names in your towns.

      I used the latter for you and surprisingly did not find the Szabo or Sabo, in Torysa, (Tarcza) or surrounding towns.  I had to do each town separately because the Slovak directory could not list all with that name because there are to many.

      Many years ago, My good friend, Pavol Palkovic~, PHD, (now Deceased), gave to me the three volume dictionary of Slovak Towns, VLASTIVEDÝ SLOVNIK OBCI NA SLOVENSKU.

      I am able to look up towns and find the names from the first mention.  Additionally there is an index of Hungarian and German names and the Slovak names up to 1978.

      If I can help, Let me know.

      Z Bohom,

      Vilo