Re: Radimov, Czechoslovakia & translation info

  • frankur@att.net
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 3, 2001
      --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@y..., prainito@h... wrote:
      > I'm new to the group. The families I am researching are: JURIGA,
      > POLLAK, MEGELA & HLATKI(HLATKY,HLADKI,HLADKY)
      > I have about 20+ letters that were written to my Grandmother. I am
      > guessing they were written in Slovak. Could anyone recommend a web
      > site or a book that would help me in the translation of these
      > letters. Keep in mind I do not speak the language at all!!! Any help
      > is appreciated.
      > Thanks,
      > Alison

      Don't know your surnames.

      How are you ? English

      Wie geht es Ihnen ? German

      Hogy Van ? Hungarian

      Ako sa más^ ? Slovak

      Jak se máte ? Czech

      Jak sie pan miewa ? Polish

      Some Web sites do foreign language translations.
      You are asking a great deal of some one to translate 20 + letters
      for you !

      If you don't know the Slovak language, a book won't be of much help.
      Not because of the word meanings , but because of need for knowledge
      of grammatical rules using words which is required in any language.

      There is a Radimov (Sv) Radimó (H) locate 40 miles north
      of Bratislava, Slovakia.
      Located close to current Czech border between Gleby and Holic^
      in the Senica area of NW Slovakia.

      A Radimov is also located 55 miles south of Prague (Praha)
      Czech Republic.

      The Slovakia telephone directory lists 1 surname Juriga under
      Radimov and 1 surname Pollák under Radimov.
      Directory also lists 4 surname Hladky' under Senica.
      And it lists 6 surname Juriga under the Senica area.

      The surname Hladky is also found in the Czech Republic.
      Hladky' means smooth in both Czech and Slovak.
      Probably 400-500 surname Hladky bearers just in the U.S.