Radimov, Czechoslovakia & translation info

  • prainito@home.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 2, 2001
      I'm new to the group. The families I am researching are: JURIGA,
      POLLAK, MEGELA & HLATKI(HLATKY,HLADKI,HLADKY)
      I have about 20+ letters that were written to my Grandmother. I am
      guessing they were written in Slovak. Could anyone recommend a web
      site or a book that would help me in the translation of these
      letters. Keep in mind I do not speak the language at all!!! Any help
      is appreciated.
      Thanks,
      Alison
    • frankur@att.net
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 3, 2001
        --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@y..., prainito@h... wrote:
        > I'm new to the group. The families I am researching are: JURIGA,
        > POLLAK, MEGELA & HLATKI(HLATKY,HLADKI,HLADKY)
        > I have about 20+ letters that were written to my Grandmother. I am
        > guessing they were written in Slovak. Could anyone recommend a web
        > site or a book that would help me in the translation of these
        > letters. Keep in mind I do not speak the language at all!!! Any help
        > is appreciated.
        > Thanks,
        > Alison

        Don't know your surnames.

        How are you ? English

        Wie geht es Ihnen ? German

        Hogy Van ? Hungarian

        Ako sa más^ ? Slovak

        Jak se máte ? Czech

        Jak sie pan miewa ? Polish

        Some Web sites do foreign language translations.
        You are asking a great deal of some one to translate 20 + letters
        for you !

        If you don't know the Slovak language, a book won't be of much help.
        Not because of the word meanings , but because of need for knowledge
        of grammatical rules using words which is required in any language.

        There is a Radimov (Sv) Radimó (H) locate 40 miles north
        of Bratislava, Slovakia.
        Located close to current Czech border between Gleby and Holic^
        in the Senica area of NW Slovakia.

        A Radimov is also located 55 miles south of Prague (Praha)
        Czech Republic.

        The Slovakia telephone directory lists 1 surname Juriga under
        Radimov and 1 surname Pollák under Radimov.
        Directory also lists 4 surname Hladky' under Senica.
        And it lists 6 surname Juriga under the Senica area.

        The surname Hladky is also found in the Czech Republic.
        Hladky' means smooth in both Czech and Slovak.
        Probably 400-500 surname Hladky bearers just in the U.S.