The Louis Petho Documentary - WW1 prisoners in Siberia

  • htcstech
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 13, 2012
      Hello All,

      Something to keep an eye out for, especially if an ancestor was in WW1 and
      taken as prisoner by the Russians.

      Louis Petho is a documentary film maker and is currently working on
      recreating his grandfather's escape from a prison camp and his walk back to
      Budapest - a trip that took him many years.
      This interests me as I've identified at least one relative that was taken
      prisoner in 1915.
      It's good that his grandfather escaped, but I was curious about what
      happened with those who didn't.

      So I sent Louis Petho a message about his grandfather's escape from the
      Siberian prison camp.
      I asked what happened to the remaining prisoners and their fate.

      He replied:

      "Prisoners were released and I think that the last ones came home around
      1921. There were many that also chose to stay in Russian.<sic>"

      Then about WW2 prisoners he said; "In Irkutsk Hungarians formed part of a
      security force. Before the start of WWII Stalin had them executed fearing
      they may turn on him. We will do more research on this as we may include it
      in the documentary."

      All in English - with a short video: http://russianpromenade.com/ and
      applies to anyone and their relatives fighting in the Austro-Hungarian
      Empire's armies.

      Peter M.

    • vera holman
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 18, 2012
        Peter, reading your message, reminded me of a paper I received of my Dad,
        from Washing,DC, 1020, upon his arrival to the USA.
        Glad that his experience was not final, but, he had to endure so much as a
        young teen!! So, perhaps because of his age, he was released. I do not
        know what happened to his mother,( Maria Timko Pavlisin) Did she remarry,
        buried there?? I am trying to answer
        those questions and others,tough going!
        I had to use a magnifying glass to read such tiny letters!!
        Vera B. Holman

        Affidavit To Explain Protracted Foreign
        Residence and to Overcome Presumption of Expatriation

        For Native and Naturalized Citizen

        I Jan Beley , a native and loyal American citizen ,do solemnly swear
        ,that I cease to reside in the United States on or about ........day of
        1902, I ...that I have since resided temporarily at Kolcove,
        Dluha, Czecho-Slovakis, and that I arrived in Kolcoxe Dluha, where I am
        now temporarily residing on the ....... of 1902.

        My reasons for such residence is as following... My father died in the
        Unted States in 1901, and my Mother brought me over here ...1902 , when I
        wa 6 years old , and in 1915, I was ordered to serve as a civil driver for
        the Austrian government , and when I told them I was an American Citizen
        and showed them my birth certificate, but they said that made no difference
        and I must work for the government. On June 15, 191 (5(6) not legible,
        they forced me into the army and made me to take the oath of allegience,
        paying no attention to my protest that I was an American Citizen!! I first
        served on the Russian front, and was captured inJuly 1917, but was
        returned to the custody of the Austrians when they regained that territory
        again in March 1918. I was then ordered to the Italian front ,and later
        on sent back to Vienna, and on Oct. 1918, after the formation of the
        Czech-Slovakian Government, I was returned to Czech-Slovakia. The
        Czech-Slovakian officials then forced me into the army and when I showed
        them my America birth certificate , they said that it made no
        difference. That if I served the Austrian army ,I must serve the CZech
        army. I had to take the oath of allegience to the Austria-Hungary
        Government, as is explained above.

        American Legation at Prague
        Sworn to before me this 3rd day of June
        1920 Alan F. Winslow

        Sectretary of Legation of the United States

      • htcstech
        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 18, 2012
          Vera,
          What a great and fascinating story!
          You would think that Jan would be brought home to his mother's village.
          How come Jan had US nationality? Did Maria travel to the US and had him
          there?
          I did find a Pavlisin Josef apparently from Saros - Hosszuvagas 1883 who
          died 21/3/1917
          I mention this as the entry states: 'Szorocsinsky recte Pavlisin Josef'
          which I think means 'Szorocsinsky - rightly or truly - Pavlisin Josef', a
          name change recorded in the Czech (A-H) WWI records.

          Your story made me remember something I forgot about my father, who was too
          afraid to go back to Slovakia or Hungary because he had a price on his
          head. That kept him from returning for 20 years.
          Also, somewhere I read that people were forcibly conscripted as dual
          nationality was not accepted - especially if the father was born in the
          mother country. It also works the other way. Even today, I can apply for
          both Slovak and Hungarian citizenship under 2 different surnames, because
          my father was born in Czechoslovakia, and I was born in Hungary (but not
          officially a citizen) and my father had the surname changed by deed poll in
          Australia.
          Go figure!

          Peter M

          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 18, 2012
            Peter,

            I didn't know this until later in life, that my Dad (Jan Bely) was born in
            the town of Loyalhanna, Pa. on 4Aug. 1896. Later baptised at the St.
            Vincent Bascillia in Latrobe, Pa.

            Never gained the cause of death of Janos Beleyj (father of Jan Bely) who
            died in 1901. Am searching for sites that will lead me to notices of mine
            disasters located with in the vicinity of Latrobe or Loyalhanna, Pa. or
            Westmoreland County. I believe he came to work in the mines as most of the
            Austrian-Hungarian, Slovakian citizens did. .

            Maria Timko Pavlisin Beleyj, (Jan Beley's mother) came from the old
            country, not being here long enough to learn any English, nor make new
            friends, felt alone and returned home to her native country!! Finding
            what transpired after her return to Slovakia, is my lastest persuit. Do not
            know if she remarried , if she is buried within the same vicinity or
            what?

            Although, came across ,one, Jan Beley coming to the USA on 3 different
            trips, one checked out, didn't seem to fit the age. One trip was to visit
            a brother in Homestead,PENNA> name not given!! So, ""have tough row to
            hoe"" so they say!

          • William C. Wormuth
            Message 5 of 7 , Apr 18, 2012
              Saros [Shahrohsh] - Hosszuvagas [Hohsh-suh-vahgahsh]
              S~aris~ [Shah-rreesh] - Legnava [Lehg-nahvah]: http://maps.google.com/maps?q=Legnava%20Slovakia&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-a&rlz=1R1GGHP_en___US437&um=1&ie=UTF-8&hl=en&sa=N&tab=wl

              http://www.zoznam.sk/hladaj.fcgi?co=telzoznam&s=Belej&mesto=&ulica=&psc=0&uto=&net_fixed=1&net_mobile=1&net_alt=1

              http://www.zoznam.sk/hladaj?co=telzoznam&net_alt=1&net_fixed=1&net_mobile=1&of=0&psc=0&s=Pavlisinova
              http://www.zoznam.sk/hladaj.fcgi?co=telzoznam&s=Timko&mesto=Orlov&ulica=&psc=&uto=&net_fixed=1&net_mobile=1&net_alt=1

              http://www.zoznam.sk/hladaj.fcgi?co=telzoznam&s=Timko&mesto=Stara+Lubovna&ulica=&psc=&uto=&net_fixed=1&net_mobile=1&net_alt=1

              Vera,
              Hope this helps.  When researching, it helps to use the telefonny .sk directory.  If you cannot find the name in your home village, try nearby towns.

              I have no idea what You mean by "Szorocsinsky [Sohrroh-cheenskee] - rightly or truly - Pavlisin Josef', aname change recorded in the Czech (A-H) WWI records".  Soroc~insky.
              http://www.zoznam.sk/hladaj.fcgi?co=telzoznam&s=Sorocinsky&mesto=&ulica=&psc=0&uto=&net_fixed=1&net_mobile=1&net_alt=1

              Let me know if I can help further.

              Z Bohom,

              Vilo.

              ________________________________

              Message 6 of 7 , Apr 18, 2012
                Vilo,

                Good work Vilo!

                You wrote:
                "I have no idea what You mean by "Szorocsinsky [Sohrroh-cheenskee] -
                rightly or truly - Pavlisin Josef', aname change recorded in the Czech
                (A-H) WWI records".

                Kamerius allows you to search for names in Czech archived periodicals. They
                have an extensive collection of WW1 records of notifications of death,
                wounded and imprisoned of the Austro-Hungarian
                Army.**<http://kramerius.nkp.cz/kramerius/PShowPageDoc.do?id=9794025>Each
                record is 2 half-lines long and includes Name, regiment, many times
                birthdate and birth place, and 1 or 2 words about what happened to them.

                In that collection, I have found that Pavlisin Josef was killed.
                The entry said "Szorocsinsky RECTE Pavlisin Josef" which means RECTE =
                'rightly' or 'truly' in Latin. It was not translatable from German. So
                Szorocsinsky Josef was originally Pavlisin Josef.
                That's my interpretation.

                Kramerius (English):
                http://kramerius.nkp.cz/kramerius/ShowAdvancedSearch.do?searchType=
                Kramerius (Czech): http://kramerius.nkp.cz/kramerius/Welcome.do?lang=cs

                Peter M.

              • david1law@aol.com
                Message 7 of 7 , Apr 18, 2012
                  Dear Vilo:

                  I really like the phonetic pronunciations of the various places that you
                  shared. It definitely helps to understand how the various letters, words,
                  etc., are pronounced in Slovak, etc. I am part Sarisan. = )

                  Thank you. I hope that you have a great day.

                  Best regards,

                  David

                  (http://www.yahoogroups.com/group/SLOVAK-ROOTS) -or- send blank email to