Re: [S-R] Berdak, Pustaj

  • JohnS
    Message 1 of 14 , Apr 11, 2012
      First of all, thanks to everyone once again for finding any and all
      information. Now, with a starting point, I am able to make even more
      progress. Since my initial post on April 2 I have used your results to
      go even further. I finally dove in and got a trial membership in
      Ancestry.com and, it feels, have been lost in it for hours and hours and
      hours.
      Tom, yes, Annie Berdak was a widow in 1920 still able to live in the
      Frick company house due to her son and my Uncle Mike's employment at the
      mine. Andras had died in 1918 although we are not sure how.
      Coincidentally, my great grandfather Imrich Sofranko also died in 1918
      in a roof cave in at the Calument, PA, mine. They both worked in the
      same mine. My grandmother was Theresa. She had just had a birthday in
      December so was actually 16.
      It looks like 12 year old Anna Pusztaj departed Hamburg for New York on
      Nov 14, 1886. She was accompanied by 22 yr old Maria and 30 yr old
      Andras. I suppose they could have all been siblings or possibly a
      husband and wife and the husband's younger sister. Andras is my first
      lead on other Pustaj relatives here.
      Andras Berdak departed Hamburg for NY on Jul 27, 1887. He was travelling
      with Erzebeth and Janos Novotny.
      The trail grows cold between these departure/arrival dates and the 1920
      census. But it does appear that these two are the correct ancestors and
      lead to Pakostov, Slovakia which is far more than we knew before. There
      is more information since 1920. I have a lot of work to do, however, for
      the intervening 33 years. A question here: with Pakostov this far east
      in Slovakia, are they, perhaps, Rusyn?
      I could never find Andras Berdak in the Ellis Island records since he
      arrived prior to its opening. So when the other Berdak names did come up
      I neglected to look at each of them individually. Fortunately, Vilo did
      and found cousins who were destined to Andras', now married to Annie,
      home in Calumet. It will take more looking but it is possible they could
      be related to the other Berdaks now living in PA. Currently, Michael
      Berdak's offspring live in the Vestaburg area and are the only relatives
      of which we are aware.
      Along the same line we never knew any Pustaj relatives. Maybe this will
      lead us to some connection.
      It is fortunate that Pakostov is near to my other Slovak villages of
      Spissky Hrusov and Bystrany. On a future, hopefully long duration, trip
      I hope to explore these connections.
      John
      --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "t.salony" <t.salony@...> wrote:

      > Not only are Janos,Andras, and Mihaly traveling to Pa., but they are
      in Westmoreland County,PA., AND I believe they are all related & all
      from Pakasto(w), present-day Pakostov, Slovakia.
      > Was Annie BERDAK a 45 y.o. widow in 1920, living with son, Michael 24
      y.o. in Mount Pleasant, Westmoreland, PA ? (plus: Teresa,15; George,12;
      Maragaret,9.)

      > TOM
      >
      > p.s. If this is all new to you, don't let it overwhelm you. Just ask
      the specifics of anything we have posted. YOU must decide what is your
      ancestry!
      > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "William C. Wormuth" senzus@
      wrote:

      > > Berdak [Behrr-dahk] Family members are listed as traveling to
      PA.:Â Janos [Jah-ohsh] (Jan) [Jahn], 1904 visiting Cousin Andras
      [Ahn-drahsh] Andre [An drehee] Andrew, 1906. Mihaly [Mee-hahlee]
      visiting his Cousin. If this is family they are from the
      Zemplin [Zehm-pleen] district.

      > > Pustaj in Hungarian is spelled Pusztaj [Puss-tahee]. Â
      > >

      > > Ellis Island:

      http://www.ellisisland.org/search/matchMore.asp?MID=02136237240060444448\
      &order_num=574994459&ORDER_ID=1600197672&LNM=PUSZTAJ&PLNM=PUSZTAJ&first_\
      kind=1&kind=exact&offset=0&dwpdone=1http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lipany