Re: [S-R] Any Suggestions?

  • William C. Wormuth
    Message 1 of 12 , Apr 10, 2012
      I apologize for writing long messages on a particular subject not entirely Genealogical.  I have started a post On Slovak-World after Nick reminded me we should not be so off subject.

      Boh žehnaj vám všetkým,

      Vilko

    • tom geiss
      Message 2 of 12 , Apr 11, 2012
        I don't know why, or how, but somehow it's no longer on my computer; and I don't have scanning ability.
        I do seem to recall HAMBURG being the port of entry??
        Also I recall it being on page 7 or 8 of the manifest, right at the top of the page.

        Another problem is, that I have a cousin that swears that she came on the KAISER WILHELM? but the Kaiser Wilhelm wasn't commissioned until ten years later. And she had to have come in 1889, because she was married in Cleveland in 1892.
        Message 3 of 12 , Apr 11, 2012
          Don't give up on the ship named Kaiser Wilhelm. Ship names are reused. My
          father traveled in 1920 on the Baltic. When I went to the Mariners Museum
          in Newport News, Virginia to look for a photo of the ship, I had five
          different ships to choose from. Knowing the dates of travel and the dates
          the ships were in operation allowed us to find the right ship. My guess is
          that there may be more than one ship with the same name and a 10 year span
          is long enough to support this idea.

          Keep looking.

          Frank

          "Searching the World for PLICHTAs"

          _____

          2. does it detail: last place visited closest contact.
          3. If detailed copy and send to me, senzus@...
          <mailto:senzus%40earthlink.net>

          ________________________________

[...]

        • Bernardine Weigand
          Message 4 of 12 , Apr 11, 2012
            True Frank, there's a few with Kaiser Wilhelm in the name, as I
            discovered when researching my grandmother. She arrived here on
            Kaiser Wilhem der Grosse. And yes, dates are very important as these
            ships made multiple crossings within the same month.

            Bernardine

            Message 5 of 12 , Apr 11, 2012
              Sorry, I just saw this string and this may have been gone over alreadyy.
              \
              "Back in the day" , before internet, me and many others relied on ship
              registries and track-back manual systems at the Family History Library.

              Morton-Allen Ships Database
              http://www.cimorelli.com/safe/shipmenu.htm
              Was a great deal of help in identifying the correct ship. I will say
              however that my GM and GF came separately. In their recordkeeping, they
              mixed up the ship's names. The names were badly mangled and could not be
              found in the manifest microfilms. Keep in mind that the FHL stores the
              digital records in arrival groups, one per ship. That is why Steve
              Morse's search by film nr. can be vastly important.
              find the roll number
              http://www.stevemorse.org/ellis/boatx.html?mode=ny
              read each page of each roll.
              I spent hundreds of hours viewing this way. Kind of a last-ditch effort.

              Bremen Passenger lists
              http://wiki-en.genealogy.net/Bremen_Passenger_Lists

              http://www.iabsi.com/gen/public/Documents/heritage%20quest/meyer_apr04%20DEPARTURE%20PASSENGER%20LISTS.pdf

              Did your Ancestors Come Under an Assumed Name?

              http://www.iabsi.com/gen/public/Documents/heritage%20quest/glauser%20DID%20YOUR%20ANCESTORS%20COME%20UNDER%20AN%20ASSUMED%20NAME.pdf

              Hamburg Passenger Departure Lists 1850-1934
              http://www.germanroots.com/hamburg.html
              I trolled these films for a few years at the FHL

              Don't forget SOUNDEX. With the advent of online records, one forgets to
              try the tried-and-true!
              http://www.stevemorse.org/census/soundex.html

              Sorry if you email has truncated these URL addresses. I don't have time
              to reduce them. I'm sure others can help you.

              Good Luck,

              Bill

              On Wed, April 11, 2012 11:51 am, Bernardine Weigand wrote:
              > True Frank, there's a few with Kaiser Wilhelm in the name, as I
              > discovered when researching my grandmother. She arrived here on
              > Kaiser Wilhem der Grosse. And yes, dates are very important as these
              > ships made multiple crossings within the same month.
              >
              > Bernardine

            • Elaine
              Message 6 of 12 , Apr 11, 2012
                Vilo,

                Thank you so much for the explanation of how churches handle space in their cemeteries, which is understandably limited. When I searched ancestral cemeteries this past fall, I never found any family graves, but even more surprising, I didn't see any at all that were old enough. Now I know why!

                Elaine

                Sent from my iPhone

              • htcstech
                Message 7 of 12 , Apr 11, 2012
                  Currently in Hungary, a grave is given 25 years before removal. If the
                  family pays a fee, then the grave and grave marker is retained for another
                  25 years.
                  it's expensive to be dead in Hungary. Makes you wonder how the larger
                  monumentals are financed.

                  Peter M.