[S-R] Re: Location of Urmeny - Mojmirovce Church records?

  • deeellessbee
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 6, 2012
      Sue, thanks for your kind offer; it will help a lot of people. But - and I can't speak for Peter - but if he is indeed having the same difficulty I am having, it's not finding out the name of the town - that is fairly easy enough to do, in my experience. I use cisarik.com a lot for that, (thanks to a tip from someone on this board) or even a google search will often show you the names of the town through the years.

      My problem is, knowing all the variations of the town name, I still can't always find it in the on-line records. Often these towns are small and are in with other small towns. If familysearch had an index listing in which records the towns could be found, that would be marvellously helpful. I guess I should suggest that to them, instead of whining about it here though, huh? :)

      So that's my input. Peter, if you are having a different problem than mine, well, then never mind this post, lol!

      Debbie

      --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Sue Martin" <martin@...> wrote:

      > As I said in an earlier posting, I have on my computer the Kingdom of Hungary Village Finder - Atlas and Gazetteer. If anyone would like me to check place names, you can email me directly; I'm almost always online and will respond quickly.
      >
      > Sue

    • htcstech
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 6, 2012
        Thanks Sue! I will take advantage when I need it.

        What IS needed (as Debbie has suggested) is a listing that shows
        placenames, the churches and the year built, and the corresponding LDS
        collection.
        For example, I wasted hours looking for an Evangelical church, which I
        eventually found, except it was built 70 years after the records I was
        seeking. I bet a lot of Lutherans converted because their church was too
        far away.
        Cisarik almost has it as he has now inserted in the left column of his
        village pages a little code like RC, jew, luth with the church locations
        listed. That's a big help.

        Peter M

      • William C. Wormuth
        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 6, 2012
          Thank you for that site, it should be very helpful here.

          Sue, your offer is helpful to all and appreciated by all

          Z Bohom,

          Vilo

          ________________________________
          Sue, thanks for your kind offer; it will help a lot of people. But - and I can't speak for Peter - but if he is indeed having the same difficulty I am having, it's not finding out the name of the town - that is fairly easy enough to do, in my experience. I use cisarik.com a lot for that, (thanks to a tip from someone on this board) or even a google search will often show you the names of the town through the years.

          My problem is, knowing all the variations of the town name, I still can't always find it in the on-line records. Often these towns are small and are in with other small towns. If familysearch had an index listing in which records the towns could be found, that would be marvellously helpful. I guess I should suggest that to them, instead of whining about it here though, huh? :)

          So that's my input. Peter, if you are having a different problem than mine, well, then never mind this post, lol!

          Debbie

          --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Sue Martin" <martin@...> wrote:

          > As I said in an earlier posting, I have on my computer the Kingdom of Hungary Village Finder - Atlas and Gazetteer. If anyone would like me to check place names, you can email me directly; I'm almost always online and will respond quickly.
          >
          > Sue

        • Sue Martin
          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 6, 2012
            Depending on the size of the village or town, Wikipedia can provide information as well. In the case of Mojmirovce, there's a Wikipedia article that doesn't provide much information, but does have a link to the village's web site. On that site, there's an interesting paragraph about the history of the town and alternate names.

            Sue