Re: [S-R] Where are they hiding Kapusany

  • Sue Martin
    Message 1 of 22 , Apr 4, 2012
      There's a wonderful piece of software called Hungarian Village Finder, which covers the Hungarian kingdom (includes what's now Slovakia, part of the Ukraine, part of Rumania, etc.). It's a huge data base, and it's not - and can't be - a 'simple alphabetical list'. There are too many place names and alternative names or spellings to enable it to be a simple list.

      However, it isn't free. I believe there is a gazetteer online that serves the same purpose and IS free, but I've forgotten where it is located.

      Sue

      Message 2 of 22 , Apr 4, 2012
        Hungarian Village Finder says that Kapusany is the Slovak name for what was known as Kapi, in the Tapoly district in north central Slovakia.

        Sue

        --- In [mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS%40yahoogroups.com] SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, Sandra & John Panzitta <pman40@...> wrote:

        > Corinne,
        >
        > My ancestors settled in Wilkes-Barre, PA - right across the river from Swoyersville.
        > On Apr 3, 2012, at 9:23 PM, Corinne C. Musto wrote:
        >
        > > Hi Sandra & Julie,
        > >
        > > I too, am waiting for Kapusany. My grandmother's family came from that village.
        > > Surname: Bosak.
        > > They settled in Swoyersville, PA in the early 1900's.
        > >
        > > Corinne
        > >
        > > ________________________________

      • Jane Murray
        Message 3 of 22 , Apr 4, 2012
          Dear Julie,
          Johnstown has wonderful records available on line the Cambria Country website.  It list old census records (1800-1890) and a Military census are available, the cemeteries have been documented, some partial, some complete. There are stories, pictures, and history associated with the town.  The new "1940" census is available through ancestry.com for free until 4/10/2012.  They have also given access to other years (1920-1930).  You will need to know what borough your relatives lived in i.e. Ferndale, Brownstown, Conamaugh, etc.  My entire family was and still is from there, I go back every year and do research.  The town has declined since Bethlehem Steel closed most operations, but it is still has that small town feel to it. The Heritage Center, Flood Museum, and the Library (limited working hours due to budget cuts) can assist with information, however, that is not free.  The Churches will provide documentation for a fee also.  They are all
          very helpful and willing to work with you as I have found out.  Another great source is Ebensberg, the County seat.  The microfilm is all stored there. They also require a fee to find records.
          Good Luck, if I come across your surname when searching I will let you know.  Jane

          ________________________________
          I am searching for Ragyak/Radak, they settled in Johnstown.

          "Corinne C. Musto" <gershwin417@...> wrote:

          >Hi Sandra & Julie,
          >
          >I too, am waiting for Kapusany. My grandmother's family came from that village.
          >Surname:  Bosak.
          >They settled in Swoyersville, PA in the early 1900's.
          >
          >Corinne
          >

          >________________________________

        • Corinne C. Musto
          Message 4 of 22 , Apr 4, 2012
            Yes, this is true. When my grandmother and her family came over the Ellis Island manifest had them listed as coming from Kapi.

            Corinne

            ________________________________
            Hungarian Village Finder says that Kapusany is the Slovak name for what was known as Kapi, in the Tapoly district in north central Slovakia.

            Sue

            Well, I've got to be completely honest.  I can hardly ever find any town I need and don't know how to go about finding them!  If I don't see it listed, I may look in a town that I find near it on the map, but have never found one on my own, and always need to ask here.

            Sure would be nice if there was some kind of index on familysearch telling what towns are in what records, (obviously for the smaller towns that are within other towns).  I've even tried looking in the catalog to get a film number, then go look at the on-line records, but then the film numbers aren't listed for the on-line listings.

            Yes, an index would be a huge help.  As well as a note of what the updates are when they are made.  Maybe I just don't have enough experience with these records yet....

            Debbie

            --- In [mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS%40yahoogroups.com] SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, Sandra & John Panzitta <pman40@...> wrote:

            > Corinne,
            >
            > My ancestors settled in Wilkes-Barre, PA - right across the river from Swoyersville.
            > On Apr 3, 2012, at 9:23 PM, Corinne C. Musto wrote:
            >
            > > Hi Sandra & Julie,
            > >
            > > I too, am waiting for Kapusany. My grandmother's family came from that village.
            > > Surname:  Bosak.
            > > They settled in Swoyersville, PA in the early 1900's.
            > >
            > > Corinne
            > >
            > > ________________________________

          • Paul M. Paulochik
            Message 5 of 22 , Apr 4, 2012
              Which Johnstown - NY or PA? I have a Kapusany connection - Pallo (and Pepon from nearby Tulcik) who settled in Windber PA, close enough to be inundated by the same Johnstown Floods.

              I am searching for Ragyak/Radak, they settled in Johnstown.

              Sent from my Samsung smartphone on AT&T

              "Corinne C. Musto" <gershwin417@...> wrote:

              >Hi Sandra & Julie,
              >
              >I too, am waiting for Kapusany. My grandmother's family came from that village.
              >Surname: Bosak.
              >They settled in Swoyersville, PA in the early 1900's.
              >
              >Corinne
              >

              >________________________________

            • Julie Mark
              Message 6 of 22 , Apr 4, 2012
                PA!

                "Paul M. Paulochik" <paulpaulochik@...> wrote:

                >Which Johnstown - NY or PA? I have a Kapusany connection - Pallo (and Pepon from nearby Tulcik) who settled in Windber PA, close enough to be inundated by the same Johnstown Floods.

              • Julie Mark
                Message 7 of 22 , Apr 4, 2012
                  Jane - my family mostly lived in brownstown, but my dad also lived in franklin and prospect. He moved to ca in the 60s and I was born here. I have been back a few times and did a lot of research there. Where is your family?

                  Jane Murray <jmurray6475@...> wrote:

                  >Dear Julie,
                  >Johnstown has wonderful records available on line the Cambria Country website.  It list old census records (1800-1890) and a Military census are available, the cemeteries have been documented, some partial, some complete. There are stories, pictures, and history associated with the town.  The new "1940" census is available through ancestry.com for free until 4/10/2012.  They have also given access to other years (1920-1930).  You will need to know what borough your relatives lived in i.e. Ferndale, Brownstown, Conamaugh, etc.  My entire family was and still is from there, I go back every year and do research.  The town has declined since Bethlehem Steel closed most operations, but it is still has that small town feel to it. The Heritage Center, Flood Museum, and the Library (limited working hours due to budget cuts) can assist with information, however, that is not free.  The Churches will provide documentation for a fee also.  They are all
                  > very helpful and willing to work with you as I have found out.  Another great source is Ebensberg, the County seat.  The microfilm is all stored there. They also require a fee to find records.
                  >Good Luck, if I come across your surname when searching I will let you know.  Jane
                  >

                  >________________________________

                • Julie Mark
                  Message 8 of 22 , Apr 15, 2012
                    Sandra & Corinne - did either of you find the Kapusany records online? It
                    still looks like they are microfilm only, let me know if I'm missing them on
                    line!

                    Sandra & John Panzitta <pman40@... <mailto:pman40%40comcast.net> >
                    wrote:

                    >Hello All,
                    >
                    >I was delighted to see the Slovak Church record group on Familysearch.org
                    has been updated today. I have been patiently waiting for the Roman
                    Catholic records for Kapusany, Presov County to reappear. They were removed
                    as they contained records post 1895.

                    >I searched the library catalog and found this entry as being on line (as
                    opposed to having to order the microfilm): Roman catholic parish registers
                    of baptisms, marriages and deaths for Kapusany, Slovakia, formerly Kapi (or
                    Kapucsany), Saros, Hungary.

                    >I then clicked the link and it took me to the Slovakia main page. I
                    clicked on "browse through images" and it took me to the links for each
                    religion. I clicked Roman Catholic and it took me to counties. I clicked
                    Presov and there is no Kapusany listed under Presov.

                    >Am I doing something wrong?
                    >
                    >Sandra

                    <mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS-unsubscribe%40yahoogroups.comYahoo> ! Groups Links

                  • Sandra & John Panzitta
                    Message 9 of 22 , Apr 15, 2012
                      Hi Julie,

                      I called the 800 number on the Familysearch site and spoke to several lovely people. I finally ended at a technical department where I was told (sadly) no - the records aren't on line, that the link indicating they were on line was incorrect and yes, they are only available on microfilm at this time. I am just so spoiled with the convenience and beauty of the records from the site compared to the copies that come out of the microfilm machine. So we wait anxiously!

                      Sandra

                      Message 10 of 22 , Apr 15, 2012
                        Hi Julie,
                        I have found nothing online yet.
                        Corinne

                        ________________________________

                        Message 11 of 22 , Apr 15, 2012
                          Thank you both - I agree Sandra, too spoiled by online records. Off to the
                          FHL I go!

                          I called the 800 number on the Familysearch site and spoke to several lovely
                          people. I finally ended at a technical department where I was told (sadly)
                          no - the records aren't on line, that the link indicating they were on line
                          was incorrect and yes, they are only available on microfilm at this time. I
                          am just so spoiled with the convenience and beauty of the records from the
                          site compared to the copies that come out of the microfilm machine. So we
                          wait anxiously!

                          Sandra

                          On Apr 15, 2012, at 12:28 PM, Julie Mark wrote:

                          > Sandra & Corinne - did either of you find the Kapusany records online?
                          > It still looks like they are microfilm only, let me know if I'm
                          > missing them on line!

                        • John
                          Message 12 of 22 , Apr 15, 2012
                            >>> So we wait anxiously! <<<

                            You may wait for a long time. Because film #1792751 Items 4 - 7 covers items to 1926, I can't be put online.