Re: town names

  • Al Stoffa
    Message 1 of 13 , Aug 5, 1999
      Gerry,

      Here is what I find for the combinations of "Kremnic" that I find:

      Name Lattitude Longitude Feature Name
      Kormoczbanya See Kremnica 48� 42' N 18� 55' E Populated Place
      Kremnitz See Kremnica 48� 42' N 18� 55' E Populated Place
      Kremnica 48� 42' N 18� 55' E Populated Place
      Kormoczbanya See Kremnica 48� 42' N 18� 55' E Populated Place
      Kremnicka 48� 42' N 19� 8' E Populated Place

      Al Stoffa
      a_stoffa@...

      Researching STOFA and TOMAS from the Humenne, Zemplin area.
      Researching GREGA (GREGOR) and DURICA from Slovakia.
      All to the Freeland, Luzerne Co., PA area between 1880-1900.

      Message 2 of 13 , Aug 7, 1999
        >Are Kremnicka, Kremnicke, and Kremnica all the same town?....
        >..."Bansko - Bystricky". Is this the same as Banska-Bystrica?

        As near as I can tell, there used to be two Kremnickas: one is now Stara
        Kremnicka, and is south of the town of Kremnica, while the other was
        just south of Banska Bystrica and is now part of that town.

        Kremnicke Bane was a village north of Kremnica, today it's part of the
        town.

        You're right, Bansko-Bystricky is the adjective referring to the town of
        Banska Bystrica.

        Joe Armata
        joe@...
      • blossom34293
        Message 3 of 13 , Jul 18, 2003
          could someone please tell me where these towns are located near, if
          they still are same names: Pozyticlnice,Galacia and Kannien,Galacia
          and Przysietnica,Galacia? Thank you for any help. rs
          Message 4 of 13 , Jul 19, 2003
            You will probably have more success if you post your message at
            http://www.topica.com/lists/galicia
            mailing list.
            Bill Tarkulich

            Message 5 of 13 , Jul 19, 2003
              I think the 1st and 3rd are the same place: Przysietnica in
              Galicia. There are at least two: one east of Krosno and one
              south of Nowy Sacz, both in southeast Poland. Kannien looks like
              it was read wrong from something else, maybe Kamienna or
              something similar. There are scads of places with similar names,
              as the root is "kamien", meaning a rock or stone. Do you have
              the name as originally written you could post or send?

              Joe

            • rsmyth62@comcast.net
              Message 6 of 13 , Jul 19, 2003
                Hello Joe:
                Thank you for responding. Was Przysietnica ever part of Hungary/Austria, as that is what was on their wedding certificate as place of birth. And as far as the Kannien, Galacia, was reaching - was on a passenger list for fathers home address... and was same name as my ancestor, just trying to fit pieces together. Have very little to go on. Thought if it was located nearby Przysietnica, may be a relation.
                Thanks rs
                I think the 1st and 3rd are the same place: Przysietnica in
                Galicia. There are at least two: one east of Krosno and one
                south of Nowy Sacz, both in southeast Poland. Kannien looks like
                it was read wrong from something else, maybe Kamienna or
                something similar. There are scads of places with similar names,
                as the root is "kamien", meaning a rock or stone. Do you have
                the name as originally written you could post or send?

                Joe

                > could someone please tell me where these towns are located near, if
                > they still are same names: Pozyticlnice,Galacia and Kannien,Galacia
                > and Przysietnica,Galacia? Thank you for any help. rs

                Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

              • John M,
                Message 7 of 13 , Jul 20, 2003
                  At 09:21 PM 7/19/2003 -0400, you wrote:
                  >Hello Joe:
                  >Thank you for responding. Was Przysietnica ever part of Hungary/Austria,
                  >as that is what was on their wedding certificate as place of birth. And as
                  >far as the Kannien, Galacia, was reaching - was on a passenger list for
                  >fathers home address... and was same name as my ancestor, just trying to
                  >fit pieces together. Have very little to go on. Thought if it was
                  >located nearby Przysietnica, may be a relation.
                  >Thanks rs

                  Based on Joe's answer, the villages are in southeast Poland now, which was
                  Galicia until 1918. Galicia was ruled by Austria, which was part of the
                  dual kingdom of Austria-Hungary. Therefore the answer would be yes.

                  John M

                  > I think the 1st and 3rd are the same place: Przysietnica in
                  > Galicia. There are at least two: one east of Krosno and one
                  > south of Nowy Sacz, both in southeast Poland. Kannien looks like
                  > it was read wrong from something else, maybe Kamienna or
                  > something similar. There are scads of places with similar names,
                  > as the root is "kamien", meaning a rock or stone. Do you have
                  > the name as originally written you could post or send?
                  >
                  > Joe
                  >
                  > > could someone please tell me where these towns are located near, if
                  > > they still are same names: Pozyticlnice,Galacia and Kannien,Galacia
                  > > and Przysietnica,Galacia? Thank you for any help. rs
                  > >

                  > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                  >To unsubscribe from this group, go to

                • Frank
                  Message 8 of 13 , Jul 20, 2003
                    --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "John M," <jmatsko4@c...> wrote:
                    > At 09:21 PM 7/19/2003 -0400, you wrote:
                    > >Hello Joe:
                    > >Thank you for responding. Was Przysietnica ever part of
                    Hungary/Austria,
                    > >as that is what was on their wedding certificate as place of birth.
                    And as
                    > >far as the Kannien, Galacia, was reaching - was on a passenger list
                    for
                    > >fathers home address... and was same name as my ancestor, just
                    trying to
                    > >fit pieces together. Have very little to go on. Thought if it was
                    > >located nearby Przysietnica, may be a relation.
                    > >Thanks rs
                    >
                    > Based on Joe's answer, the villages are in southeast Poland now,
                    which was
                    > Galicia until 1918. Galicia was ruled by Austria, which was part of
                    the
                    > dual kingdom of Austria-Hungary. Therefore the answer would be yes.
                    >
                    > John M

                    Based on the above who was your surnamed ancestor from Kannien ?
                    Radomski ? And was his birthplace listed KaMien as below ?

                    In 1911 a Stanislaw Radomski emigrated from Kamien, Austra
                    In 1910 a Piotr Radomski emigrated from Kamien, Austria
                    In 1912 a Wo ? Radomski emigrated from Kamien and went to his
                    brother Piotr in Lewiston, Maine.

                    Przysietnica (2) is located south of Stary Sacz, Poland across
                    the NE Slovakia border near Stará L'ubovn^a.

                    Kamienica, Poland is located 13 miles distant and Kamienka,
                    Slovakia is also located 13 miles distant.

                    Early in 15th c the 16 towns in the northen Spis^ region of central
                    Slovakia (including Stará L'ubovn^a and L'ubica)- near to but not
                    including the royal Saxon towns of Käsmark and Leutschau - were sold
                    to Poland, under whose rule they remained 1412-1772.

                    Frank K

                    > > I think the 1st and 3rd are the same place: Przysietnica in
                    > > Galicia. There are at least two: one east of Krosno and one
                    > > south of Nowy Sacz, both in southeast Poland. Kannien looks
                    like
                    > > it was read wrong from something else, maybe Kamienna or
                    > > something similar. There are scads of places with similar
                    names,
                    > > as the root is "kamien", meaning a rock or stone. Do you have
                    > > the name as originally written you could post or send?
                    > >
                    > > Joe
                    > >
                    > > > could someone please tell me where these towns are located
                    near, if
                    > > > they still are same names: Pozyticlnice,Galacia and
                    Kannien,Galacia
                    > > > and Przysietnica,Galacia? Thank you for any help. rs
                    > > >

                    > > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                    email to

                    Service.

                    Message 9 of 13 , Jul 20, 2003
                      Thank you gentlemen for your replies. My ancestor surname is Wojciech Radomski. I was told upon his return trip from Poland in 1910 that he and several of his brothers came back to US after their fathers funeral together. I am trying to locate the brothers, none are listed on the year 1910 March, that my ggrandfather was. So, by going with his place of birth on marriage license, Przysietnica, Austria/Hungary, was trying to fit unknown pieces together. My ggrandfather resided in Buffalo, NY. He originally came in 1903 but I can not seem to locate that record. I have located one brother, Jakob, and his birthplace was listed as Pozyticlnice, Galacia, which could of been a misspell. The reference to Kannien, Galacia was due to a manifest record with a Francizek Radomski leaving behind a Tomasz Radomski in Kannien, Galacia,,,, that is my gggrandfathers name, but I may find that Tomasz is a popular male name there. Thank you again for your help. rs

                      Message 10 of 13 , Jul 21, 2003
                        --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, <rsmyth62@c...> wrote:
                        > Thank you gentlemen for your replies. My ancestor surname is
                        Wojciech Radomski. I was told upon his return trip from Poland in
                        1910 that he and several of his brothers came back to US after their
                        fathers funeral together. I am trying to locate the brothers, none
                        are listed on the year 1910 March, that my ggrandfather was. So, by
                        going with his place of birth on marriage license, Przysietnica,
                        Austria/Hungary, was trying to fit unknown pieces together. My
                        ggrandfather resided in Buffalo, NY. He originally came in 1903 but I
                        can not seem to locate that record. I have located one brother,
                        Jakob, and his birthplace was listed as Pozyticlnice, Galacia, which
                        could of been a misspell. The reference to Kannien, Galacia was due to
                        a manifest record with a Francizek Radomski leaving behind a Tomasz
                        Radomski in Kannien, Galacia,,,, that is my gggrandfathers name, but I
                        may find that Tomasz is a popular male name there. Thank you again
                        for your help. rs

                        On 30 March 1910, your Radomski surname bearers had traveled from
                        Bremen,Germany and arrived at Ellis Island (NYC)

                        1) Wojciech, age 33, married, who had been in Buffalo in 1903/1909.
                        2) His wife, Marya (Mary), age 27.
                        3) With their 2 daughters, Marya, age 10 mos. and Anna, age 3 years.
                        While both daughters had been born in Buffalo,
                        Wojciech and Marya had both been born in Przysietenice, Galicija.
                        Family all went to address of brother-in-law, a Józef Adamczak,
                        who was their daughter's uncle.
                        What was Wojciech's sister first name ?

                        In Aug 1905 ship manifest, Jabob Radomski, age 26, married, went
                        to his brother Wojciech in Buffalo, NY.
                        He had sailed from Bremen, Germany.
                        His Last Residence in image copy was written as Przysietnice.

                        given names
                        Jacob (E)
                        Jakub (P) (Sk) (Cz)
                        Jakob (H) (G)
                        Jabubek (P)
                        Jokubas (Sk)
                        Germans had tendency to write emigrant first names in German.

                        Of 132 surnames Radomski listed in EIR, which number was Francizek
                        Radomski ?

                        Frank (E)
                        Franciszek (P)
                        Frantis^ek (Sk)