Re: [S-R] Berdak, Pustaj

  • Caye Caswick
    Message 1 of 14 , Apr 2, 2012

      Any Pustai (probably pronounced the same) relatives in Cleveland, if so, contact me -- I can share what info I've collected.

      Caye

      ________________________________
      Message 2 of 14 , Apr 2, 2012
        John,
        From 1820 to 1892 Castle Garden was the entry facility in New York. http://castlegarden.org/ Ancestry.com also has the Castle Garden records.
        When there is no clues to follow I look in the 1995 Slovak Census to see if a surname may have a singular location. Here are yours.
        The census found 225 listing in 42 locations. They only list the top 10. What I Iike to look at is the “okr”/okres/district name. 9 of the 10 are in Banska Bystrica where 145 listing came from. Unfortunately, with such a large number the hunt for your ancestral location would be difficult, but not impossible. You can begin with these 9.

        You can look at the census records and for naturalization papers in hope of getting a location. If the ggp were married here, then a marriage certificate. Obits will sometime mention a birth place.

        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bansk%C3%A1_Bystrica_District

        Priezvisko PUSTAJ sa na Slovensku v roku 1995 nachádzalo 225×, celkový počet lokalít: 42, najčastejšie výskyty v lokalitách:
        BREZNO, okr. BANSKÁ BYSTRICA (od r. 1996 BREZNO) – 39×;
        TELGÁRT, okr. BANSKÁ BYSTRICA (od r. 1996 BREZNO) – 34×;
        MAZORNÍKOVO (obec BREZNO), okr. BANSKÁ BYSTRICA (od r. 1996 BREZNO) – 21×;
        POLOMKA, okr. BANSKÁ BYSTRICA (od r. 1996 BREZNO) – 15×;
        PREDNÉ HALNY (obec BREZNO), okr. BANSKÁ BYSTRICA (od r. 1996 BREZNO) – 12×;
        DÚBRAVA, okr. LIPTOVSKÝ MIKULÁŠ – 8×;
        ČIERNY BALOG, okr. BANSKÁ BYSTRICA (od r. 1996 BREZNO) – 6×;
        ŠUMIAC, okr. BANSKÁ BYSTRICA (od r. 1996 BREZNO) – 6×;
        BANSKÁ BYSTRICA, okr. BANSKÁ BYSTRICA – 6×;
        BUJAKOVO (obec BREZNO), okr. BANSKÁ BYSTRICA (od r. 1996 BREZNO) – 6×;

        Berdak had only 25 listings in 14 locations. So all locations are listed. Looking at the okres/districts. #1 Vranov nad Topl’ou until 1996 was in okres Humenne. Which would with the 9 from okres Humenne account for 19 listings. Okres Vranov nad Topl’ou, Humenne, Michalovce, Kosice and Presov touch one another in a row in eastern Slovakia.

        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Humenne_District
        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vranov_nad_Top%C4%BEou_District
        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michalovce_District

        Priezvisko BERDÁK sa na Slovensku v roku 1995 nachádzalo 35×, celkový počet lokalít: 14, v lokalitách:
        PAKOSTOV, okr. VRANOV NAD TOPĽOU (od r. 1996 HUMENNÉ) – 10×;
        HUMENNÉ, okr. HUMENNÉ – 7×;
        MICHALOVCE, okr. MICHALOVCE – 3×;
        TRENČIANSKA TEPLÁ, okr. TRENČÍN – 3×;
        JOVSA, okr. MICHALOVCE – 2×;
        PREŠOV, okr. PREŠOV – 2×;
        ĽUBIŠA, okr. HUMENNÉ – 1×;
        ŠEMŠA, okr. KOŠICE-VIDIEK (od r. 1996 KOŠICE - OKOLIE) – 1×;
        KLOKOČOV, okr. MICHALOVCE – 1×;
        STARÉ MESTO (obec NITRA), okr. NITRA – 1×;
        SNINA, okr. HUMENNÉ (od r. 1996 SNINA) – 1×;
        STARÉ MESTO (obec KOŠICE), okr. KOŠICE – 1×;
        KARLOVA VES (obec BRATISLAVA), okr. BRATISLAVA – 1×;
        RUŽINOV (obec BRATISLAVA), okr. BRATISLAVA – 1×;

        I am ready to dig into my Dad's Mother's family, my paternal grandmother. Her father's name was Andrej Berdak (born 1865) and mother's name was Anna Pustaj (1875). Ellis Island seaches are fruitless so they must have arrived prior to it's opening. We know they were Slovak but have no idea of where in Slovakia. For some reason we assume the eastern region. They may have been Rusyn. Looking for either name on Slovak-Roots is also fruitless. We live(d) in Westmoreland County, PA.

        My question is does anyone on here have any knowledge of either of these names? If not a town then a region.

        Anything to get me started would be greatly appreciated.

      • t.salony
        Message 3 of 14 , Apr 2, 2012
          Hi JohnS,

          Even if you don't find Andrej BERDAK or Anna PUSTAJ in your Ellis Island search, don't assume there aren't any clues to be found there.

          Searching ONLY the Last Name of BERDAK on the Morse Gold Search of Ellis Island (http://stevemorse.org/ellis2/ellisgold.html), the first passenger manifest I looked at was:
          BERDAK, Andras, 17, Arr.Nov. 25, 1909 on Graf Waldersee leaving his father in "Pakastow". Most importantly, he is going TO "brother Mihaly Berdak, Greensburg, Pa. no str" AND lists birth as "Ho_ _ _ ne" (in maddening hanwriting that I THINK is on of the names of present-day Humenne).

          http://www.cisarik.com/0_Pakostov_Humenne_PV_Zemplen_Zemplin.html
          http://www.cisarik.com/0_Humenne_Humenne_PV_Zemplen_Zemplin_prq.html

          The Cisarik pages for the 2 towns, which both show the BERDAK surname, are above.

          You didn't give any specifics as to locations in Westmoreland Co., or census info. Do you know anything more about other BERDAKs?

          TOM

          --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "JohnS" <john@...> wrote:

          > I am ready to dig into my Dad's Mother's family, my paternal grandmother. Her father's name was Andrej Berdak (born 1865) and mother's name was Anna Pustaj (1875). Ellis Island seaches are fruitless so they must have arrived prior to it's opening. We know they were Slovak but have no idea of where in Slovakia. For some reason we assume the eastern region. They may have been Rusyn. Looking for either name on Slovak-Roots is also fruitless. We live(d) in Westmoreland County, PA.
          >
          > My question is does anyone on here have any knowledge of either of these names? If not a town then a region.
          >
          > Anything to get me started would be greatly appreciated.

        • CurtB
          Message 4 of 14 , Apr 2, 2012
            John,
            Your Andrew Berdak appears to have arrived in Castle Garden, New York, on 12 Aug 1887 via Hamburg aboard the Polynesia. The manifest says age 22 so born about 1865. Record says he is of Hungarian Nationality. No more here; but the Hamburg shipping records which still exist, record his departure from Hamburg and say he is from Saros county Hungary and is travelling with Elizabeth and John Novotny from the same place.

            Curt B.

            Message 5 of 14 , Apr 2, 2012
              John,
              This is a link to a 1910 Map of Saros County - http://lazarus.elte.hu/hun/maps/1910/saros.jpg This would be where okres Presov on your Berdak surname list of locations would be.
              This is a link to a diagram showing how the Hungarian counties would appear over the modern Slovak counties -http://www.iabsi.com/gen/public/Documents/Slovakia_Hungary_Counties.jpg
              In the far right green area you will see the cities of Varnov, Humenne and Michalovce sit within their respective counties. Part of modern Varnov nad Topl’ou county in the upper left sits within old Saros county. An area where the village of Pakostov is located.
              An information page on Pakostov - http://en.e-obce.sk/obec/pakostov/pakostov.html Now in okres Humenne. Pakostov SURNAMES in 2005 (used from the current phone book): Berdak Berdak Berdak Berdak Berdak Berdak Berdak Berdak Berdak Berdak Berdak Berdak Berdakova Berdakova Berdakova ; 12 males, 3 females.
              This is a link to modern Slovakia Saris - http://www.saris.eu.sk/en

              --- In mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS%40yahoogroups.com, "JohnS" <john@...> wrote:

              > I am ready to dig into my Dad's Mother's family, my paternal grandmother. Her father's name was Andrej Berdak (born 1865) and mother's name was Anna Pustaj (1875). Ellis Island seaches are fruitless so they must have arrived prior to it's opening. We know they were Slovak but have no idea of where in Slovakia. For some reason we assume the eastern region. They may have been Rusyn. Looking for either name on Slovak-Roots is also fruitless. We live(d) in Westmoreland County, PA.
              >
              > My question is does anyone on here have any knowledge of either of these names? If not a town then a region.
              >
              > Anything to get me started would be greatly appreciated.

            • William C. Wormuth
              Message 6 of 14 , Apr 2, 2012
                Berdak [Behrr-dahk] Family members are listed as traveling to PA.:  Janos [Jah-ohsh] (Jan) [Jahn], 1904 visiting Cousin Andras [Ahn-drahsh] Andre [An drehee] Andrew, 1906.  Mihaly [Mee-hahlee] visiting his Cousin.  If this is family they are from  the Zemplin [Zehm-pleen] district.

                Pustaj in Hungarian is spelled Pusztaj [Puss-tahee].

                Ellis Island:
                http://www.ellisisland.org/search/matchMore.asp?MID=02136237240060444448&order_num=574994459&ORDER_ID=1600197672&LNM=PUSZTAJ&PLNM=PUSZTAJ&first_kind=1&kind=exact&offset=0&dwpdone=1http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lipany

                http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lipany

                God Bless,

                Vilo

                ________________________________

                Message 7 of 14 , Apr 2, 2012
                  Not only are Janos,Andras, and Mihaly traveling to Pa., but they are in Westmoreland County,PA., AND I believe they are all related & all from Pakasto(w), present-day Pakostov, Slovakia.
                  Was Annie BERDAK a 45 y.o. widow in 1920, living with son, Michael 24 y.o. in Mount Pleasant, Westmoreland, PA ? (plus: Teresa,15; George,12; Maragaret,9.)

                  TOM

                  p.s. If this is all new to you, don't let it overwhelm you. Just ask the specifics of anything we have posted. YOU must decide what is your ancestry!

                  > Berdak [Behrr-dahk] Family members are listed as traveling to PA.:  Janos [Jah-ohsh] (Jan) [Jahn], 1904 visiting Cousin Andras [Ahn-drahsh] Andre [An drehee] Andrew, 1906.  Mihaly [Mee-hahlee] visiting his Cousin.  If this is family they are from  the Zemplin [Zehm-pleen] district.
                  >
                  > Pustaj in Hungarian is spelled Pusztaj [Puss-tahee].
                  >

                  > Ellis Island:
                  > http://www.ellisisland.org/search/matchMore.asp?MID=02136237240060444448&order_num=574994459&ORDER_ID=1600197672&LNM=PUSZTAJ&PLNM=PUSZTAJ&first_kind=1&kind=exact&offset=0&dwpdone=1http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lipany
                  >
                  > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lipany
                  >
                  > God Bless,
                  >
                  > Vilo

                • helene cincebeaux
                  Message 8 of 14 , Apr 2, 2012
                    Hi John - Have one listing for Pustay in the Slovak Pride data base and one for Berdak. Contact me directly at helenezx@....

                    helene

                    Message 9 of 14 , Apr 2, 2012
                      OK, I am overwhelmed by all of your efforts!! From knowing nothing beyond the great grandparents to learning a whole lot more.

                      I am fairly certain the 1887 immigration of Andras (Andrej) is the correct one. Also the 1920 census of Annie living with her oldest son Michael and the daughters (Theresa aged 15 is my grandmother) is also correct. Andrej died in 1918 so he would not be in the census.

                      Getting to a county, district and city (Pakostov) is way further than I expected to get today. That's great for the Berdak side.

                      Pustaj will take a little longer. I need to absorb and keep looking.

                      My dad's grandparents were both from Spis county (Spissky Hrusov and Bystrany).

                      @Caye: one daughter, Margaret, married John Vilchek and lived in Cleveland. I'll be in touch by email. There may have been one more as well.

                      Thanks again,
                      John

                      PS: Vilo, I see your posts all the time on Slovak-World. I read a lot but post infrequently.

                      Message 10 of 14 , Apr 2, 2012
                        Mihaly [Mee-halee] Michal [Mee-hahl], (Michael), came in 1901 to Latrobe PA from Porubka [Pohruhb-kah] South East of Stropkov [Strohp-kohv].
                        S~tefan [Shteh-fahn], Steven Berdak, 1922 from Porubka came to his Brother-in-law Andro Kurucz [Ahn-droh Kuh-ruhts] Andrew (Kuruc, Kuruts, Kuruz,...etc), Plains, PA

                        Gyorgy [Dhohrr-dh] in Slovak Juraj, 1903 [Yuh-rahee] George from Sitnica [Seet-nee-tsah] but I believe Niz~na [Neezh-nah] Sitnica going to Latrobe, PA.Gyorgy [Dhohrr-dh], 1911 from Pakostov [Pahkoh-stohv] to Latrobe visiting cousin Andrej [Ahn-drehee] Berdak
                        Jan [Yahn], John 1913 from Pakostov to Brother-in-law Janos Ryb [Jahn-ohsh Reeb] City undecipherable.
                        2 named Mihaly 25  and18 years old, 1906, PA City undecipherable.
                        Vasily [Vahss-eelee] 1902 from Pakostov to Mount Pleasant PA. visit brother Mihaly.
                        Wasil, (Vasil), 1909 26 years old visiting wife Anna, Baggaley PA. stamped non-immegrant alien.

                        God Bless and Good Morning ,...ah good night, 0059 AM.

                        Vilo

                        ________________________________

                        Message 11 of 14 , Apr 3, 2012
                          I worked for hours helping you reseach Pustaj/Berdak.  I hav e not seen response from you as to my forwarded results either as question or comment..

                          We "helpers are here tomake ir easier for those of you who experience problems researching or need direction in pronunciations....etc.
                          Geneaology is a very time consuming task and we must appreciate what the LDS hand other groups have done.  I hope you consider that the help you are receiving is FREE OF CHARGE.  There are places people can go for PAID HELP.

                          Vilo

                          ________________________________
                          Using the 1995 Slovak Census for the surnames, PUSTAJ is far more localized. BERDAK and PUSTAJ would have lived within TWO villages distance. However, I don't see any such overlap.

                          PUSTAJ/PUSTAJOVA
                          BREZNO, okr. BANSKÁ BYSTRICA (od r. 1996 BREZNO) – 36×;
                          BREZNO, okr. BANSKÁ BYSTRICA (od r. 1996 BREZNO) – 39×;
                          TELGÁRT, okr. BANSKÁ BYSTRICA (od r. 1996 BREZNO) – 31×;
                          TELGÁRT, okr. BANSKÁ BYSTRICA (od r. 1996 BREZNO) – 34×;
                          MAZORNÍKOVO (obec BREZNO), okr. BANSKÁ BYSTRICA (od r. 1996 BREZNO) – 22×;
                          MAZORNÍKOVO (obec BREZNO), okr. BANSKÁ BYSTRICA (od r. 1996 BREZNO) – 21×;
                          POLOMKA, okr. BANSKÁ BYSTRICA (od r. 1996 BREZNO) – 18×;
                          POLOMKA, okr. BANSKÁ BYSTRICA (od r. 1996 BREZNO) – 15×;
                          ŠUMIAC, okr. BANSKÁ BYSTRICA (od r. 1996 BREZNO) – 10×;
                          ŠUMIAC, okr. BANSKÁ BYSTRICA (od r. 1996 BREZNO) – 6×;
                          DÚBRAVA, okr. LIPTOVSKÝ MIKULÁŠ – 9×;
                          DÚBRAVA, okr. LIPTOVSKÝ MIKULÁŠ – 8×;
                          PREDNÉ HALNY (obec BREZNO), okr. BANSKÁ BYSTRICA (od r. 1996 BREZNO) – 8×;
                          PREDNÉ HALNY (obec BREZNO), okr. BANSKÁ BYSTRICA (od r. 1996 BREZNO) – 12×;
                          SLOVENSKÁ ĽUPČA, okr. BANSKÁ BYSTRICA – 8×;
                          BANSKÁ BYSTRICA, okr. BANSKÁ BYSTRICA – 6×;
                          BANSKÁ BYSTRICA, okr. BANSKÁ BYSTRICA – 6×;
                          ČIERNY BALOG, okr. BANSKÁ BYSTRICA (od r. 1996 BREZNO) – 5×;
                          ČIERNY BALOG, okr. BANSKÁ BYSTRICA (od r. 1996 BREZNO) – 6×;
                          BUJAKOVO (obec BREZNO), okr. BANSKÁ BYSTRICA (od r. 1996 BREZNO) – 6×;

                          BERDÁK
                          PAKOSTOV, okr. VRANOV NAD TOPĽOU (od r. 1996 HUMENNÉ) – 10×;
                          HUMENNÉ, okr. HUMENNÉ – 7×;
                          MICHALOVCE, okr. MICHALOVCE – 3×;
                          TRENČIANSKA TEPLÁ, okr. TRENČÍN – 3×;
                          JOVSA, okr. MICHALOVCE – 2×;
                          PREŠOV, okr. PREŠOV – 2×;
                          ĽUBIŠA, okr. HUMENNÉ – 1×;
                          ŠEMŠA, okr. KOŠICE-VIDIEK (od r. 1996 KOŠICE - OKOLIE) – 1×;
                          KLOKOČOV, okr. MICHALOVCE – 1×;
                          STARÉ MESTO (obec NITRA), okr. NITRA – 1×;
                          SNINA, okr. HUMENNÉ (od r. 1996 SNINA) – 1×;
                          STARÉ MESTO (obec KOŠICE), okr. KOŠICE – 1×;
                          KARLOVA VES (obec BRATISLAVA), okr. BRATISLAVA – 1×;
                          RUŽINOV (obec BRATISLAVA), okr. BRATISLAVA – 1×;

                        • vera holman
                          Message 12 of 14 , Apr 4, 2012
                            William, I do appreciate all and any help that I have gotten from all the
                            acts of kindnesses! All the helpers seem to be well versed in the history
                            and places and people of Slovakia. I do thank you and Mike,M. and Mark
                            and others who have taken their own precious time to help us, the
                            learners! God bless.
                            Vera

                          • JohnS
                            Message 13 of 14 , Apr 11, 2012
                              First of all, thanks to everyone once again for finding any and all
                              information. Now, with a starting point, I am able to make even more
                              progress. Since my initial post on April 2 I have used your results to
                              go even further. I finally dove in and got a trial membership in
                              Ancestry.com and, it feels, have been lost in it for hours and hours and
                              hours.
                              Tom, yes, Annie Berdak was a widow in 1920 still able to live in the
                              Frick company house due to her son and my Uncle Mike's employment at the
                              mine. Andras had died in 1918 although we are not sure how.
                              Coincidentally, my great grandfather Imrich Sofranko also died in 1918
                              in a roof cave in at the Calument, PA, mine. They both worked in the
                              same mine. My grandmother was Theresa. She had just had a birthday in
                              December so was actually 16.
                              It looks like 12 year old Anna Pusztaj departed Hamburg for New York on
                              Nov 14, 1886. She was accompanied by 22 yr old Maria and 30 yr old
                              Andras. I suppose they could have all been siblings or possibly a
                              husband and wife and the husband's younger sister. Andras is my first
                              lead on other Pustaj relatives here.
                              Andras Berdak departed Hamburg for NY on Jul 27, 1887. He was travelling
                              with Erzebeth and Janos Novotny.
                              The trail grows cold between these departure/arrival dates and the 1920
                              census. But it does appear that these two are the correct ancestors and
                              lead to Pakostov, Slovakia which is far more than we knew before. There
                              is more information since 1920. I have a lot of work to do, however, for
                              the intervening 33 years. A question here: with Pakostov this far east
                              in Slovakia, are they, perhaps, Rusyn?
                              I could never find Andras Berdak in the Ellis Island records since he
                              arrived prior to its opening. So when the other Berdak names did come up
                              I neglected to look at each of them individually. Fortunately, Vilo did
                              and found cousins who were destined to Andras', now married to Annie,
                              home in Calumet. It will take more looking but it is possible they could
                              be related to the other Berdaks now living in PA. Currently, Michael
                              Berdak's offspring live in the Vestaburg area and are the only relatives
                              of which we are aware.
                              Along the same line we never knew any Pustaj relatives. Maybe this will
                              lead us to some connection.
                              It is fortunate that Pakostov is near to my other Slovak villages of
                              Spissky Hrusov and Bystrany. On a future, hopefully long duration, trip
                              I hope to explore these connections.
                              John
                              --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "t.salony" <t.salony@...> wrote:

                              > Not only are Janos,Andras, and Mihaly traveling to Pa., but they are
                              in Westmoreland County,PA., AND I believe they are all related & all
                              from Pakasto(w), present-day Pakostov, Slovakia.
                              > Was Annie BERDAK a 45 y.o. widow in 1920, living with son, Michael 24
                              y.o. in Mount Pleasant, Westmoreland, PA ? (plus: Teresa,15; George,12;
                              Maragaret,9.)

                              > TOM
                              >
                              > p.s. If this is all new to you, don't let it overwhelm you. Just ask
                              the specifics of anything we have posted. YOU must decide what is your
                              ancestry!
                              > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "William C. Wormuth" senzus@
                              wrote:

                              > > Berdak [Behrr-dahk] Family members are listed as traveling to
                              PA.:Â Janos [Jah-ohsh] (Jan) [Jahn], 1904 visiting Cousin Andras