Help translating marriage record please

  • deeellessbee
    Message 1 of 11 , Apr 1, 2012
      See photo album "Andrew Luchansky baptism" please.

      I found a marriage record yesterday at the FHC, but I need some help with translation. It looks like Latin, which I thought would be easier for Google translate to handle than Hungarian, which it always has trouble with, but it gave me no help.

      Under the groom's name, it looks to say "miles ablicentiatus" (or maybe "oblicentiatus). That's pretty clear and straightforward on the record, but I got no translation at all. Help please!

      The second page in the notes column is harder. I uploaded the second page so if someone could take a look I'd appreciate it. It is the fifth entry (has a little pink dot next to it, with parents of Georgius Havrilla and Maria Kasnyik) Please look under album titled Andrew Luchansky baptism (just ignore the title of the album - tried to delete it but it wouldn't go away so I just put the Havrila record in it - easier to find it under "A" anyway!)

      Thank you for your help!
      Debbie
    • deeellessbee
      Message 2 of 11 , Apr 1, 2012
        Hmm, I just realized that I think you can't manipulate the photos in the photo album - in other words, can you zoom in on an image? If not, no one will be able to read that record I just uploaded. If this is the case, can someone let me know and I will upload a close-up of the text I need translated. Thanks for your patience - I haven't had too much experience with uploading items here. Sorry!

        Debbie

        --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "deeellessbee" <deeellessbee@...> wrote:

        > See photo album "Andrew Luchansky baptism" please.
        >
        > I found a marriage record yesterday at the FHC, but I need some help with translation. It looks like Latin, which I thought would be easier for Google translate to handle than Hungarian, which it always has trouble with, but it gave me no help.
        >
        > Under the groom's name, it looks to say "miles ablicentiatus" (or maybe "oblicentiatus). That's pretty clear and straightforward on the record, but I got no translation at all. Help please!
        >
        > The second page in the notes column is harder. I uploaded the second page so if someone could take a look I'd appreciate it. It is the fifth entry (has a little pink dot next to it, with parents of Georgius Havrilla and Maria Kasnyik) Please look under album titled Andrew Luchansky baptism (just ignore the title of the album - tried to delete it but it wouldn't go away so I just put the Havrila record in it - easier to find it under "A" anyway!)
        >
        > Thank you for your help!
        > Debbie

      • CurtB
        Message 3 of 11 , Apr 1, 2012
          Debbie,
          I haven't seen the text close up, but "miles oblicentiatus" means a soldier with a permit to marry. An active soldier or during a certain time within reserves needed a military permit to get married.

          Also, if you upload material to Files rather than photos, the images can be manipulated. Or if the text is from an online rather than from a microfilm, just give the reference so people can locate the original image.

          Curt B.

        • lkocik@comcast.net
          Message 4 of 11 , Apr 1, 2012
            Hi Debbie

             I'm not even sure how to get to the uploaded records page but I'll try.

             I just wanted to say; "miles" means a soldier. Not sure about the second word but it looks to have the same root as the word absence, which if so, would indicate he was A.W.O .l. or deserted. That was very common especially when a man was conscripted into the military of an occupying country, a country they despised.

            Larry

          • lkocik@comcast.net
            Message 5 of 11 , Apr 1, 2012
              Debbie

              If I'd only waited a few moments for Curt's reply........

                 but a least I got the "miles" right.

              Larry

               I'm not even sure how to get to the uploaded records page but I'll try.

               I just wanted to say; "miles" means a soldier. Not sure about the second word but it looks to have the same root as the word absence, which if so, would indicate he was A.W.O .l. or deserted. That was very common especially when a man was conscripted into the military of an occupying country, a country they despised.

              Larry

              Hmm, I just realized that I think you can't manipulate the photos in the photo album - in other words, can you zoom in on an image?  If not, no one will be able to read that record I just uploaded. If this is the case, can someone let me know and I will upload a close-up of the text I need translated.  Thanks for your patience - I haven't had too much experience with uploading items here.  Sorry!

              Debbie

              --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "deeellessbee" <deeellessbee@...> wrote:

              > See photo album "Andrew Luchansky baptism" please.
              >
              > I found a marriage record yesterday at the FHC, but I need some help with translation. It looks like Latin, which I thought would be easier for Google translate to handle than Hungarian, which it always has trouble with, but it gave me no help.
              >
              > Under the groom's name, it looks to say "miles ablicentiatus" (or maybe "oblicentiatus).  That's pretty clear and straightforward on the record, but I got no translation at all.  Help please!
              >
              > The second page in the notes column is harder.  I uploaded the second page so if someone could take a look I'd appreciate it.  It is the fifth entry (has a little pink dot next to it, with parents of Georgius Havrilla and Maria Kasnyik)  Please look under album titled Andrew Luchansky baptism (just ignore the title of the album - tried to delete it but it wouldn't go away so I just put the Havrila record in it - easier to find it under "A" anyway!)
              >
              > Thank you for your help!
              > Debbie

            • deeellessbee
              Message 6 of 11 , Apr 1, 2012
                Thank you Larry and Curt! The image is from a copy of a microfilm, not on-line, so I can't give a link. But I will try uploading it to Files instead of Photos. Thanks for the tip! (and the first translation!)

                Debbie

                --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, lkocik@... wrote:

                > Debbie
                >
                > If I'd only waited a few moments for Curt's reply........
                >
                >    but a least I got the "miles" right.
                >
                > Larry

              • deeellessbee
                Message 7 of 11 , Apr 1, 2012
                  Okay, the image is uploaded in Files under HavrilaJoannes etc. Again, I need help with the notes in the last column (with the pink dot).

                  Thank you for looking!

                  Debbie

                  --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "deeellessbee" <deeellessbee@...> wrote:

                  > Thank you Larry and Curt! The image is from a copy of a microfilm, not on-line, so I can't give a link. But I will try uploading it to Files instead of Photos. Thanks for the tip! (and the first translation!)
                  >
                  > Debbie
                  >
                  > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, lkocik@ wrote:
                  > >

                  > > Debbie
                  > >
                  > > If I'd only waited a few moments for Curt's reply........
                  > >
                  > >    but a least I got the "miles" right.
                  > >
                  > > Larry

                • CurtB
                  Message 8 of 11 , Apr 1, 2012
                    Debbie,
                    It just says that the husband showed the marriage permit[to the priest].

                    Curt B.

                    --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "deeellessbee" <deeellessbee@...> wrote:

                    > Okay, the image is uploaded in Files under HavrilaJoannes etc. Again, I need help with the notes in the last column (with the pink dot).
                    >
                    > Thank you for looking!
                    >
                    > Debbie
                    >

                    > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "deeellessbee" <deeellessbee@> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > Thank you Larry and Curt! The image is from a copy of a microfilm, not on-line, so I can't give a link. But I will try uploading it to Files instead of Photos. Thanks for the tip! (and the first translation!)
                    > >
                    > > Debbie
                    > >
                    > > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, lkocik@ wrote:
                    > > >

                    > > > Debbie
                    > > >
                    > > > If I'd only waited a few moments for Curt's reply........
                    > > >
                    > > >    but a least I got the "miles" right.
                    > > >
                    > > > Larry

                  • deeellessbee
                    Message 9 of 11 , Apr 1, 2012
                      Well, that was boring, lol! Thank you Curt! One more question I forgot to ask. In this record, Janos is GC, and Maria is RC... I thought that the custom was to be married in the bride's town, but the church of the groom's religion. Am I mistaken? I'm just trying to get this straight and was kind of surprised to see this record in the RC records. I wasn't looking for this record when I found it, and thought it would have been in the GC records.

                      Debbie

                      > Debbie,
                      > It just says that the husband showed the marriage permit[to the priest].
                      >
                      > Curt B.
                      >
                      > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "deeellessbee" <deeellessbee@> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > Okay, the image is uploaded in Files under HavrilaJoannes etc. Again, I need help with the notes in the last column (with the pink dot).
                      > >
                      > > Thank you for looking!
                      > >
                      > > Debbie
                      > >

                      > > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "deeellessbee" <deeellessbee@> wrote:
                      > > >
                      > > > Thank you Larry and Curt! The image is from a copy of a microfilm, not on-line, so I can't give a link. But I will try uploading it to Files instead of Photos. Thanks for the tip! (and the first translation!)
                      > > >
                      > > > Debbie

                    • CurtB
                      Message 10 of 11 , Apr 1, 2012
                        Debbie,
                        Yes, marriage in a bride's church is the custom in Slovak territory, just like in the U.S. But it is only a custom, not a rule, so there are a lot of exceptions depending on local need.
                        Sometimes, it is just more convenient, or maybe some clergy seem more amenable, etc.

                        Curt B.--- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "deeellessbee" <deeellessbee@...> wrote:

                        > Well, that was boring, lol! Thank you Curt! One more question I forgot to ask. In this record, Janos is GC, and Maria is RC... I thought that the custom was to be married in the bride's town, but the church of the groom's religion. Am I mistaken? I'm just trying to get this straight and was kind of surprised to see this record in the RC records. I wasn't looking for this record when I found it, and thought it would have been in the GC records.
                        >
                        > Debbie
                        >

                        > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "CurtB" <curt67boc@> wrote:
                        > >
                        > > Debbie,
                        > > It just says that the husband showed the marriage permit[to the priest].
                        > >
                        > > Curt B.
                        > >
                        > > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "deeellessbee" <deeellessbee@> wrote:
                        > > >
                        > > > Okay, the image is uploaded in Files under HavrilaJoannes etc. Again, I need help with the notes in the last column (with the pink dot).
                        > > >
                        > > > Thank you for looking!
                        > > >
                        > > > Debbie

                      • deeellessbee
                        Message 11 of 11 , Apr 2, 2012