Re: Hawa,Hawaj,Hawaje,Hawal,Haval,Howil, etc.

  • patskanovo
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 1, 2012
      Thank you Curt. I am aware of the pronunciation in both languages.I included the Mother's phonetic pronunciation to include all the information that I have...

      Thanks!
      Dennis

      > Dennis,
      > In this case the W in Polish is pronounced like we pronounce the letter V. So it is Hava in Slovak but Hawa in Polish but pronouced the same.
      >
      > The names Hava and Havaj are still found in Eastern Slovakia in what was old Zemplin county so if she was a Slovak speaker, this is more likely place of origin. There are a lot of Hava and Havaj immigrants from Hungary and Slovakia in immigration records.
      >
      > Curt B.
      >

      > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "patskanovo" <ddhalusker@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Hello group,
      > >
      > > I have a name and some information and I am looking for a a village.
      > >
      > > Katherine (Katrina ?) Hava (?) Katinsky of Belle Vernon ,Penna. died 10 May 1940
      > > and is buried in Belle Vernon Cemetery SECTION 06 Lot 148 Grave 4 next to her
      > > husband Joseph.
      > >
      > > What we know of Katherine is that she spoke Slovak and emigrated from Austria
      > > (?) in abt.1911.
      > >
      > > Her daughter who is now 83 and born in 1929 says her mothers name was pronounced
      > > "Phonetically" How-Why.
      > >
      > > Katherines' parents were Vasily (Haval?) and Maria Kurivcak and Katherine and
      > > Joseph Katinsky were married by Fr.Hanyula in Holy Ghost Byzantine Catholic
      > > Church in Pittsburgh 2 August 1913 (This is all the information the church can provide)
      > >
      > > Of course if one knew the correct spelling,there would be no brickwalls....
      > >
      > > I have found one listing for Hawaj Surname in former Bonarowka, GALICIA and
      > > another in Muszyna, Krakow, Poland.
      > >
      > > (Radix forum and a family treemaker link)
      > >
      > > My question to you is am I correct leaning towards thinking "GALICIA"
      > > with this surname?
      > >
      > > Naturally,the different spellings are giving me fits!
      > >
      > > Any help with this is greatly appreciated!
      > >
      > > Thanks,
      > > Dennis

    • patskanovo
      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 1, 2012
        Thank you Michael!

        Dennis

        > I plugged your surname spelling into the Slovak 1995 Census database. It offered up a couple of alternatives, Havaj was the only one that was a surname. It also happens to be the name of a village. The title says there were 51 listings in 23 locations. The top ten locations are given. The first word is the name of the location. The “okr.” precedes the name of the district the location is in. The number is the listings found there.
        >
        > Priezvisko HAVAJ sa na Slovensku v roku 1995 nachádzalo 51×, celkový počet lokalít: 23, najčastejšie výskyty v lokalitách:
        > VYÅ NÝ HRABOVEC, okr. SVIDNÍK (od r. 1996 STROPKOV) â€" 6×;
        > HORNÉ STRHÁRE, okr. VEĽKÝ KRTÍŠ â€" 5×;
        > MALÁ IDA, okr. KOÅ ICE-VIDIEK (od r. 1996 KOÅ ICE - OKOLIE) â€" 4×;
        > SUCHÉ BREZOVO, okr. VEĽKÝ KRTÍŠ â€" 4×;
        > ĽUBOTICE, okr. PREÅ OV â€" 3×;
        > DOLNÉ STRHÁRE, okr. VEĽKÝ KRTÍŠ â€" 3×;
        > PREÅ OV, okr. PREÅ OV â€" 3×;
        > ZÁPAD (obec KOÅ ICE), okr. KOÅ ICE â€" 3×;
        > JELÅ AVA, okr. ROŽŇAVA (od r. 1996 REVÚCA) â€" 2×;
        > STROPKOV, okr. SVIDNÍK (od r. 1996 STROPKOV) â€" 2×;
        > Svidník District (okres Svidník) is a district in the Prešov Region of eastern Slovakia. Territory Svidník district and the location is near of the Dukla Pass and the Republic of Poland. Bordering what was once Galicia. Havaj the village is not that far from what was once Galicia. And about 40 miles from Bonarowka.

      • patskanovo
        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 1, 2012
          .....since the Mother says and insists the pronunciation is "How-Why" I myself am leaning towards more of a "phonetic" inaccuracy but a correct "Anglesized" pronunciation,thus "Hawaj" is what we seek...and a more Polish influence.

          Agreed?

          Dennis

          > Thank you Michael!
          >
          > Dennis
          >
          > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Michael Mojher" <mgmojher@> wrote:
          > >
          > > I plugged your surname spelling into the Slovak 1995 Census database. It offered up a couple of alternatives, Havaj was the only one that was a surname. It also happens to be the name of a village. The title says there were 51 listings in 23 locations. The top ten locations are given. The first word is the name of the location. The “okr.” precedes the name of the district the location is in. The number is the listings found there.
          > >
          > > Priezvisko HAVAJ sa na Slovensku v roku 1995 nachádzalo 51×, celkový počet lokalít: 23, najčastejšie výskyty v lokalitách:
          > > VYŠNÝ HRABOVEC, okr. SVIDNÍK (od r. 1996 STROPKOV) ��" 6×;
          > > HORNÉ STRHÁRE, okr. VEĽKÝ KRTÍŠ ��" 5×;
          > > MALÁ IDA, okr. KOŠICE-VIDIEK (od r. 1996 KOŠICE - OKOLIE) ��" 4×;
          > > SUCHÉ BREZOVO, okr. VEĽKÝ KRTÍŠ ��" 4×;
          > > ĽUBOTICE, okr. PREŠOV ��" 3×;
          > > DOLNÉ STRHÁRE, okr. VEĽKÝ KRTÍŠ ��" 3×;
          > > PREŠOV, okr. PREŠOV ��" 3×;
          > > ZÁPAD (obec KOŠICE), okr. KOŠICE ��" 3×;
          > > JELŠAVA, okr. ROŽŇAVA (od r. 1996 REVÚCA) ��" 2×;
          > > STROPKOV, okr. SVIDNÍK (od r. 1996 STROPKOV) ��" 2×;
          > > Svidník District (okres Svidník) is a district in the Prešov Region of eastern Slovakia. Territory Svidník district and the location is near of the Dukla Pass and the Republic of Poland. Bordering what was once Galicia. Havaj the village is not that far from what was once Galicia. And about 40 miles from Bonarowka.

        • Carl
          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 1, 2012
            Dennis,
            In the 1920 US Census, Joseph Kitansky is listed as living with his wife "Katherine" in Westmorland County of Pennsylvania. It indicates that she came to America in 1911 and was 29 years old (so born around 1891). It also said she came from Austria and spoke Slovak. Given that she was Greek Catholic, I do think it is likely she was from eastern Slovakia or Galicia and not from the town of Jelsava that I mentioned to you.

            What is odd is that doing searches of Kat* + Hav* along with the approximate birth year and arrival year does not turn up anything. (The same is true with other name variations like Haw*, How* etc.) How is it that you know her parent's names? Did they also come to America?
            CK

            > .....since the Mother says and insists the pronunciation is "How-Why" I myself am leaning towards more of a "phonetic" inaccuracy but a correct "Anglesized" pronunciation,thus "Hawaj" is what we seek...and a more Polish influence.
            >
            > Agreed?
            >

            > Dennis
            >
            > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "patskanovo" <ddhalusker@> wrote:
            > >
            > > Thank you Michael!
            > >
            > > Dennis
            > >
            > > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Michael Mojher" <mgmojher@> wrote:
            > > >
            > > > I plugged your surname spelling into the Slovak 1995 Census database. It offered up a couple of alternatives, Havaj was the only one that was a surname. It also happens to be the name of a village. The title says there were 51 listings in 23 locations. The top ten locations are given. The first word is the name of the location. The “okr.” precedes the name of the district the location is in. The number is the listings found there.
            > > >
            > > > Priezvisko HAVAJ sa na Slovensku v roku 1995 nachádzalo 51×, celkový počet lokalít: 23, najčastejšie výskyty v lokalitách:
            > > > VYŠNÝ HRABOVEC, okr. SVIDNÍK (od r. 1996 STROPKOV) ��" 6×;
            > > > HORNÉ STRHÁRE, okr. VEĽKÝ KRTÍŠ ��" 5×;
            > > > MALÁ IDA, okr. KOŠICE-VIDIEK (od r. 1996 KOŠICE - OKOLIE) ��" 4×;
            > > > SUCHÉ BREZOVO, okr. VEĽKÝ KRTÍŠ ��" 4×;
            > > > ĽUBOTICE, okr. PREŠOV ��" 3×;
            > > > DOLNÉ STRHÁRE, okr. VEĽKÝ KRTÍŠ ��" 3×;
            > > > PREŠOV, okr. PREŠOV ��" 3×;
            > > > ZÁPAD (obec KOŠICE), okr. KOŠICE ��" 3×;
            > > > JELŠAVA, okr. ROŽŇAVA (od r. 1996 REVÚCA) ��" 2×;
            > > > STROPKOV, okr. SVIDNÍK (od r. 1996 STROPKOV) ��" 2×;
            > > > Svidník District (okres Svidník) is a district in the Prešov Region of eastern Slovakia. Territory Svidník district and the location is near of the Dukla Pass and the Republic of Poland. Bordering what was once Galicia. Havaj the village is not that far from what was once Galicia. And about 40 miles from Bonarowka.

          • patskanovo
            Message 5 of 8 , Apr 7, 2012
              Hello Carl,

              Sorry that I have not been available for a week but I always check in when time allows.

              I am actually helping a friend who is stumped with her surname....
              I too am stumped,this has been a tough one.

              I did see your E-mail and have replied.

              Dennis