Holy Saturday Meal

  • a_scerbak
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 30 7:50 AM
      Hi, my father always prepared a special meal on Holy Saturday consisting of: ham, kielbasa, potato salad, cole slaw, paska bread with unsalted sweet butter, "cheese" (cooking eggs in a large pot and stirring them and then putting the whole mixture in a cheese cloth to dry into a round form), horseradish and beet mixture and thin wafers (we did not have these unless we were at my grandmother's). Dessert included poppy seed roll, nut roll and cheese roll. Although we did not do it, I know that when he was growing up, his mother had the food blessed at church before eating it.

      How do other families celebrate Holy Saturday?
    • K Higgison
      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 30 10:10 AM
        Hi,

        Our family celebrates Holy Saturday, too.

        We would make the Easter Cheese with 18 eggs, half n half, pinch salt, and a lil nutmeg...cooking on the stove in a double boiler...until the consistency looked like scramble eggs...then put mixture in the cheese cloth to drain out any liquid and let the cheese ball hang in the refrig overnite...

        We would also have baked ham, keilbasa, hard boiled eggs, buttered lamb, Easter sweet bread or rolls, a relish tray, blessed salt, horseradish and for dessert poppy and nut roll and kifli...Now my sis n law adds her homemade cheesecake and jello salad....I am getting hungry... LOL

        We would put a portion for each person in the Easter basket for Blessing...We made sure the Blessed food was eaten first...After dinner would would dye our Easter eggs and decorate our baskets....good times for sure Then and of course Now....

        I love Holy Saturday, it is one of my favorite Holidays to get the family together....

        Happy Holy Saturday and a Very Blessed Easter !!!!!

        Kathi

        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 30 11:21 AM
          Our Easter day meal consists of "shun?" consisting of chopped ham, cut-up
          keilbasa, hard-boiled eggs cut up, with a sauce of buttermilk which had grated
          horseradish, mixed-in for a few days, poured over.  I still have it every Easter
          Day (and a couple of times afterward).  My siblings are not fond of it though I
          have an Irish brother-in-law that loves it too.

          ________________________________

          Message 4 of 8 , Mar 30 11:57 AM
            i can remember mom preparing the easter basket that was taken to the church
            Holy Saturday afternoon to be blessed and to be enjoyed and eaten on Easter
            Sunday after mass. She would wake up really early saturday morning start
            making the dough for the poppyseed and nut bread and white bread for sunday
            repast. cook the ham, kielbasa, boil the eggs, prepare the eggs for the
            cyrek (cheese) . Preparation was the main ingredient cracking walnuts for
            the walnut meat, crushing them to make the walnut paste, boiling the eggs and
            stirring and adding salt and slight sugar to make the cheese wrapping in
            cheese cloth and letting it drain and solidify. making the dough letting it
            rise at least 2 times then rolling out and adding the poppy seed,
            raisins, walnut mixture. baking the breads and cooking the ham and kielbasa and
            then making up the basket with bread, ham, keilbasa, salt, horseradish,
            boiled eggs. taking it to church to be blessed by 3pm. all this done on the
            old reliable pennsylvania coal stove with the anthracite coal.. what
            wonderful memories.

            hms bob

          • Tara Trovitch
            Message 5 of 8 , Mar 30 12:11 PM
              We call the egg cheese that your talking about Hurtka. I am not sure if its spelled correctly. This is my favorite thing, ever!! I make it for Easter and also Christmas Eve Dinner. We also spread egg and cheese and paprika on very thin dough and bake it for the holidays. ;) tara

              Do you love 31 Gifts as much as I do?!?See Cute New Items Here: http://www.mythirtyone.com/taratrovitch/Join my Facebook Fan Page Here: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Taras-Love-of-Thirty-One-/379787885370024Join my Team Here: http://www.mythirtyone.com/content/join.aspx

              To: SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com

              Message 6 of 8 , Mar 30 2:38 PM
                i'm not sure where this started.......maybe it was a coal mine region or slovak betting game?  when we visited our relatives for Easter in mt carmel Pa, we 'bucked' Easter eggs.  two people would whack eggs (i think it was the pointy end) together and the winner won the broken egg.

                Hi, my father always prepared a special meal on Holy Saturday consisting of: ham, kielbasa, potato salad, cole slaw, paska bread with unsalted sweet butter, "cheese" (cooking eggs in a large pot and stirring them and then putting the whole mixture in a cheese cloth to dry into a round form), horseradish and beet mixture and thin wafers (we did not have these unless we were at my grandmother's). Dessert included poppy seed roll, nut roll and cheese roll. Although we did not do it, I know that when he was growing up, his mother had the food blessed at church before eating it.

                How do other families celebrate Holy Saturday?

              • Maxine
                Message 7 of 8 , Mar 30 3:01 PM
                  On Saturdays we NEVER EAT MEAT. On Easter Sunday, we bring a basket of food to church to have the food Blessed before we eat it. In the basket is:

                  Butter, usually molded in the shape of a lamb, horseradish, keibaski, pascha bread, salt, ham and a sweet cheese made of eggs, milk, sugar and vanilla.

                  Maxine sasala vigilante

                  Message 8 of 8 , Mar 30 7:52 PM
                    This is a genealogical ONLY forum, and we diverge occasionally into closely related fields as we recently did with understanding grammar, in order to understand genealogical records and references.

                    There is the excellent SLOVAK WORLD forum for ALL things Slovak. Please take this topic to SLOVAK WORLD, where you will engage a very interested group.

                    As a courtesy to the 1232 people on this forum, please do not debate the purpose of this forum, but rather respect this genealogical standard. Slovak World, by contrast, has 654 people signed up to discuss ALL THINGS Slovak. We have almost 600 more who have signed up to discuss GENEALOGY exclusively.

                    I suggest you join both forums for a rich experience.

                    Thank you

                    Ron Matviyak
                    Moderator