Re: Military

  • frankur@att.net
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 26, 2001
      --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@y..., krejc@a... wrote:
      > dear listers,
      > last year, my aunt gave me some old photos and some of them have
      relations
      > in uniforms, possibly when Hungary enforced service, and some look
      like
      > gymnasium outfits .
      > does anyone know a website where there may be pictures of Polish,
      Slovak and
      > Hungarian uniforms. maybe even German and Russian.
      > thanks.
      > noreen hasior from peekskill, new york

      There were no Polish or Slovak armies with their own military uniforms
      until around 1918-1920 (peace treaty)

      1) From the late 1790s until the end of WW I, Poland did not exist as
      a country. It was divided among the Russian, German (Prussian), and
      Austrian Empires.

      2 ) At the outbreak of WW I , many Czechs and Slovaks showed little
      enthusiasm for fighting on the side of their old enemies, the
      Austrians and the Hungarians.
      Many defected to fight in the Czechoslovak Legion on the Eastern
      Front.
      In 1917, the Legion, now numbering 100,000 men, became embroiled in
      the Russian revolution , and when the Bolsheviks made peace with
      Germany found itself cutoff from the homeland.
      They made their legendary 'anabasis' (from an early Greek example-
      march back home) while controlling large parts of Siberia and the
      Trans-Siberian RR, before arriving back in the new republic of
      Czechoslovakia.

      Prior to WW I (1914-1918) the armies of the Austro-Hungarian Monarchy
      were composed of three separate armies; the common army, which was
      recruited from both the German and Hungarian portions of the empire,
      the Austrian Landwehr, which was recruited the so-called German
      provinces of the empire, which in practice contained Poles,
      Ukrainians, Slovenians and Czechs and the Hungarian Landwehr (Honved),
      recruited from the Hungarian administered provinces of the empire
      (e.g. Slovakia and Croatia-Slavonia).

      During wartime all three forces merged together, the only difference
      actually being the names of the individual regiments.
      The regiments of the common army were designated "Imperial and Royal"
      - kaiserlich und königlich or k.u.k. .
      The Austrian Landwehr regiments were titled "Imperial and Royal" -
      kaiserlich und königlich or k.u.k.
      Finally the Landwehr (Honved) were styled "Royal Hungarian" -
      königlich ungarisch or k.u.

      http://www.glenn.jewison.btinternet.co.uk/badges/badges.htm