Re: [S-R] Immigration records -MIHALY Gajdos/Gaydos

  • Jane Murray
    Message 1 of 12 , Mar 21, 2012
      Dear Tom,
      In order for Elizabeth to deliver a child in November of 1899, she would have conceived in late  January or Feb.1899.  I pulled my grandfathers certificate, it states born November 4, 1899, Baptized November 5, 1899 Brunswick Maine, St.John Baptist, and it list George Gaydos & Elizabeth Kmetz as parents. They were back in Johnstown in 1902, my grandfather's sister was born then, my grandfather was the only child born in Maine.  I checked Ellis Island records for passage for a Elizabeth, or Lizzie as she was called and found nothing.  Could she come in at a Canadian port?  I looked in the 1900 census for Maine when I had a subscription to Ancestry, and I did not find anything either.  If Elizabeth was in Maine in May of 1899, why leave her 3 year old child in  Europe and why was my grandfather so confident of about his birth being as soon as they landed in Brunswick?  I may never get these answers, no one left alive to verify the information.  I
      even researched my grandfathers godparents in Brunswick thinking they could possibly be related, I could not find a connection.

      As for your coincidental trivia, it may turn out not to be as trivial as you think...Andreas Kmetz (Lizzie's brother) traveled back and forth to Libson Falls to Johnstown before finally going back to Trebisov for good.  What area in Johnstown did they settle in? Perhaps Virginia Avenue?

      Again, thank you for the interest and help.  Most sincerely, Jane