Re: town names

  • James A Honeychuck
    Message 1 of 13 , Aug 5, 1999
      gerryp@... wrote:

      > From: gerryp@...
      >
      > Question --
      > Are Kremnicka, Kremnicke, and Kremnica all the same town? I see references
      > to all 3, but only find Kremnica on a map. Also, on a passport, there is a
      > section that says "Polit. okres: District politique: Polit.Bezirk:" with
      > a written response of "Bansko - Bystricky". Is this the same as
      > Banska-Bystrica? (I assume this is something like a county seat?)
      >
      > My instinct says that if it is Banska-Bystrica, the answer to the first
      > question is yes, they are the same?
      >
      > Gerry Prich
      > Bad Axe, MI

      > Congratulations COUNTRYSIDE-ELIST. Our latest ONElist of the week.
      > For full story and to submit yours,

      At this site, http://www.jewishgen.org/shtetlseeker/loctown.htm
      Kremnica and Kremnicka are different places, but near each other.

      I believe the -e, -o, -y, and -a variations are all grammatical ("of
      this place" "in this place", etc.), but I defer to the experts.

      Jim Honeychuck
    • Al Stoffa
      Message 2 of 13 , Aug 5, 1999
        Gerry,

        Here is what I find for the combinations of "Kremnic" that I find:

        Name Lattitude Longitude Feature Name
        Kormoczbanya See Kremnica 48� 42' N 18� 55' E Populated Place
        Kremnitz See Kremnica 48� 42' N 18� 55' E Populated Place
        Kremnica 48� 42' N 18� 55' E Populated Place
        Kormoczbanya See Kremnica 48� 42' N 18� 55' E Populated Place
        Kremnicka 48� 42' N 19� 8' E Populated Place

        Al Stoffa
        a_stoffa@...

        Researching STOFA and TOMAS from the Humenne, Zemplin area.
        Researching GREGA (GREGOR) and DURICA from Slovakia.
        All to the Freeland, Luzerne Co., PA area between 1880-1900.

        Message 3 of 13 , Aug 5, 1999

          Message 4 of 13 , Aug 7, 1999
            >Are Kremnicka, Kremnicke, and Kremnica all the same town?....
            >..."Bansko - Bystricky". Is this the same as Banska-Bystrica?

            As near as I can tell, there used to be two Kremnickas: one is now Stara
            Kremnicka, and is south of the town of Kremnica, while the other was
            just south of Banska Bystrica and is now part of that town.

            Kremnicke Bane was a village north of Kremnica, today it's part of the
            town.

            You're right, Bansko-Bystricky is the adjective referring to the town of
            Banska Bystrica.

            Joe Armata
            joe@...
          • blossom34293
            Message 5 of 13 , Jul 18 8:00 PM
              could someone please tell me where these towns are located near, if
              they still are same names: Pozyticlnice,Galacia and Kannien,Galacia
              and Przysietnica,Galacia? Thank you for any help. rs
              Message 6 of 13 , Jul 19 4:07 AM
                You will probably have more success if you post your message at
                http://www.topica.com/lists/galicia
                mailing list.
                Bill Tarkulich

                Message 7 of 13 , Jul 19 5:59 PM
                  I think the 1st and 3rd are the same place: Przysietnica in
                  Galicia. There are at least two: one east of Krosno and one
                  south of Nowy Sacz, both in southeast Poland. Kannien looks like
                  it was read wrong from something else, maybe Kamienna or
                  something similar. There are scads of places with similar names,
                  as the root is "kamien", meaning a rock or stone. Do you have
                  the name as originally written you could post or send?

                  Joe

                • rsmyth62@comcast.net
                  Message 8 of 13 , Jul 19 6:21 PM
                    Hello Joe:
                    Thank you for responding. Was Przysietnica ever part of Hungary/Austria, as that is what was on their wedding certificate as place of birth. And as far as the Kannien, Galacia, was reaching - was on a passenger list for fathers home address... and was same name as my ancestor, just trying to fit pieces together. Have very little to go on. Thought if it was located nearby Przysietnica, may be a relation.
                    Thanks rs
                    I think the 1st and 3rd are the same place: Przysietnica in
                    Galicia. There are at least two: one east of Krosno and one
                    south of Nowy Sacz, both in southeast Poland. Kannien looks like
                    it was read wrong from something else, maybe Kamienna or
                    something similar. There are scads of places with similar names,
                    as the root is "kamien", meaning a rock or stone. Do you have
                    the name as originally written you could post or send?

                    Joe

                    > could someone please tell me where these towns are located near, if
                    > they still are same names: Pozyticlnice,Galacia and Kannien,Galacia
                    > and Przysietnica,Galacia? Thank you for any help. rs

                    Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                  • John M,
                    Message 9 of 13 , Jul 20 8:34 AM
                      At 09:21 PM 7/19/2003 -0400, you wrote:
                      >Hello Joe:
                      >Thank you for responding. Was Przysietnica ever part of Hungary/Austria,
                      >as that is what was on their wedding certificate as place of birth. And as
                      >far as the Kannien, Galacia, was reaching - was on a passenger list for
                      >fathers home address... and was same name as my ancestor, just trying to
                      >fit pieces together. Have very little to go on. Thought if it was
                      >located nearby Przysietnica, may be a relation.
                      >Thanks rs

                      Based on Joe's answer, the villages are in southeast Poland now, which was
                      Galicia until 1918. Galicia was ruled by Austria, which was part of the
                      dual kingdom of Austria-Hungary. Therefore the answer would be yes.

                      John M

                      > I think the 1st and 3rd are the same place: Przysietnica in
                      > Galicia. There are at least two: one east of Krosno and one
                      > south of Nowy Sacz, both in southeast Poland. Kannien looks like
                      > it was read wrong from something else, maybe Kamienna or
                      > something similar. There are scads of places with similar names,
                      > as the root is "kamien", meaning a rock or stone. Do you have
                      > the name as originally written you could post or send?
                      >
                      > Joe
                      >
                      > > could someone please tell me where these towns are located near, if
                      > > they still are same names: Pozyticlnice,Galacia and Kannien,Galacia
                      > > and Przysietnica,Galacia? Thank you for any help. rs
                      > >

                      > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                      >To unsubscribe from this group, go to

                    • Frank
                      Message 10 of 13 , Jul 20 12:37 PM
                        --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "John M," <jmatsko4@c...> wrote:
                        > At 09:21 PM 7/19/2003 -0400, you wrote:
                        > >Hello Joe:
                        > >Thank you for responding. Was Przysietnica ever part of
                        Hungary/Austria,
                        > >as that is what was on their wedding certificate as place of birth.
                        And as
                        > >far as the Kannien, Galacia, was reaching - was on a passenger list
                        for
                        > >fathers home address... and was same name as my ancestor, just
                        trying to
                        > >fit pieces together. Have very little to go on. Thought if it was
                        > >located nearby Przysietnica, may be a relation.
                        > >Thanks rs
                        >
                        > Based on Joe's answer, the villages are in southeast Poland now,
                        which was
                        > Galicia until 1918. Galicia was ruled by Austria, which was part of
                        the
                        > dual kingdom of Austria-Hungary. Therefore the answer would be yes.
                        >
                        > John M

                        Based on the above who was your surnamed ancestor from Kannien ?
                        Radomski ? And was his birthplace listed KaMien as below ?

                        In 1911 a Stanislaw Radomski emigrated from Kamien, Austra
                        In 1910 a Piotr Radomski emigrated from Kamien, Austria
                        In 1912 a Wo ? Radomski emigrated from Kamien and went to his
                        brother Piotr in Lewiston, Maine.

                        Przysietnica (2) is located south of Stary Sacz, Poland across
                        the NE Slovakia border near Stará L'ubovn^a.

                        Kamienica, Poland is located 13 miles distant and Kamienka,
                        Slovakia is also located 13 miles distant.

                        Early in 15th c the 16 towns in the northen Spis^ region of central
                        Slovakia (including Stará L'ubovn^a and L'ubica)- near to but not
                        including the royal Saxon towns of Käsmark and Leutschau - were sold
                        to Poland, under whose rule they remained 1412-1772.

                        Frank K

                        > > I think the 1st and 3rd are the same place: Przysietnica in
                        > > Galicia. There are at least two: one east of Krosno and one
                        > > south of Nowy Sacz, both in southeast Poland. Kannien looks
                        like
                        > > it was read wrong from something else, maybe Kamienna or
                        > > something similar. There are scads of places with similar
                        names,
                        > > as the root is "kamien", meaning a rock or stone. Do you have
                        > > the name as originally written you could post or send?
                        > >
                        > > Joe
                        > >
                        > > > could someone please tell me where these towns are located
                        near, if
                        > > > they still are same names: Pozyticlnice,Galacia and
                        Kannien,Galacia
                        > > > and Przysietnica,Galacia? Thank you for any help. rs
                        > > >

                        > > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                        email to

                        Service.

                        Message 11 of 13 , Jul 20 12:41 PM
                          Thank you gentlemen for your replies. My ancestor surname is Wojciech Radomski. I was told upon his return trip from Poland in 1910 that he and several of his brothers came back to US after their fathers funeral together. I am trying to locate the brothers, none are listed on the year 1910 March, that my ggrandfather was. So, by going with his place of birth on marriage license, Przysietnica, Austria/Hungary, was trying to fit unknown pieces together. My ggrandfather resided in Buffalo, NY. He originally came in 1903 but I can not seem to locate that record. I have located one brother, Jakob, and his birthplace was listed as Pozyticlnice, Galacia, which could of been a misspell. The reference to Kannien, Galacia was due to a manifest record with a Francizek Radomski leaving behind a Tomasz Radomski in Kannien, Galacia,,,, that is my gggrandfathers name, but I may find that Tomasz is a popular male name there. Thank you again for your help. rs

                          Message 12 of 13 , Jul 21 6:32 AM
                            --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, <rsmyth62@c...> wrote:
                            > Thank you gentlemen for your replies. My ancestor surname is
                            Wojciech Radomski. I was told upon his return trip from Poland in
                            1910 that he and several of his brothers came back to US after their
                            fathers funeral together. I am trying to locate the brothers, none
                            are listed on the year 1910 March, that my ggrandfather was. So, by
                            going with his place of birth on marriage license, Przysietnica,
                            Austria/Hungary, was trying to fit unknown pieces together. My
                            ggrandfather resided in Buffalo, NY. He originally came in 1903 but I
                            can not seem to locate that record. I have located one brother,
                            Jakob, and his birthplace was listed as Pozyticlnice, Galacia, which
                            could of been a misspell. The reference to Kannien, Galacia was due to
                            a manifest record with a Francizek Radomski leaving behind a Tomasz
                            Radomski in Kannien, Galacia,,,, that is my gggrandfathers name, but I
                            may find that Tomasz is a popular male name there. Thank you again
                            for your help. rs

                            On 30 March 1910, your Radomski surname bearers had traveled from
                            Bremen,Germany and arrived at Ellis Island (NYC)

                            1) Wojciech, age 33, married, who had been in Buffalo in 1903/1909.
                            2) His wife, Marya (Mary), age 27.
                            3) With their 2 daughters, Marya, age 10 mos. and Anna, age 3 years.
                            While both daughters had been born in Buffalo,
                            Wojciech and Marya had both been born in Przysietenice, Galicija.
                            Family all went to address of brother-in-law, a Józef Adamczak,
                            who was their daughter's uncle.
                            What was Wojciech's sister first name ?

                            In Aug 1905 ship manifest, Jabob Radomski, age 26, married, went
                            to his brother Wojciech in Buffalo, NY.
                            He had sailed from Bremen, Germany.
                            His Last Residence in image copy was written as Przysietnice.

                            given names
                            Jacob (E)
                            Jakub (P) (Sk) (Cz)
                            Jakob (H) (G)
                            Jabubek (P)
                            Jokubas (Sk)
                            Germans had tendency to write emigrant first names in German.

                            Of 132 surnames Radomski listed in EIR, which number was Francizek
                            Radomski ?

                            Frank (E)
                            Franciszek (P)
                            Frantis^ek (Sk)