Re: [S-R] Marriageable Girls and Population bumps

  • Michael Mojher
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 13, 2012
      Peter,
      You have some interesting observations. Most are sociological questions, which take some serious academic research to answer. They are unlike historical questions that are much easier to find the answers to.
      The 18th century in Hungary in “Slovak History Chronology and Lexicon” has the title “Era of Reforms (1711 –1780)”. “The royal court became the promoter of these ideas (Age of Enlightenment natural law, each person by nature free and all people equal).” “The state gradually took control of the economy, regulated relations between the landlords and the serfs, organized and administered schools, health care and other spheres of the life of society.” “8 September 1714 – In Tekov County 3,160 serfs raised 8,481 head of draft cattle and worked 12, 680 hectares (31,320 acres) of arable land and 3,302 hectares (8156 acres) of meadows.” And “-More than 3,000 serfs left Saris County. Fifteen villages were completely deserted.”
      “Illustrated Slovak History” had, “The 18th Century was a period of general economic development in Slovakia. Farm acreage cultivated by peasants expanded, as did the productivity of miners, and the number of craftsmen’s shops increased from about 8,000 in 1720 to about 22,500 in 1770. .... The period from 1681 to 1781 is also marked by a consolidation of Slovak status towns. Not only did their numbers increase, but Slovaks also began to demonstrate substantial ethnic awareness.”
      In the times of peace and economic prosperity birth rates go up. Your finds seem to prove this point. Since “Farm acreage cultivated by peasants expanded,” it made it possible for more people to be able to make a living. And have families. As Saris County exodus shows, the prosperity was not every where. It was Saris and its two neighboring counties, Spis and Zemplin, during the 19th century had among the highest number of immigrants.
      In 1740 Maria Theresa became queen of Hungary. The reforms of the 18th century in politics and religion were vast. Hungary had been tolerant of Protestant religions at the beginning. Then the Catholic Church instituted a Counter Reformation. And prosperity was bringing social changes for the serfs.