Slavic Roots Seminar

  • snowball
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 12 12:56 PM
      If you live in/near Philadelphia, PA, you may be interested in this free seminar, on April 28th, presented by the Genealogical Society of Pennsylvania.

      https://sites.google.com/site/slavicrootsseminar/

      Sandra Sileo
    • snowball
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 29, 2012
        Hi Vera,

        I recently attended the Slavic Roots Seminar in Philadelphia, Pa, that I had mentioned earlier. Following are some of the sources Lisa and the other speakers mentioned to help us research our family roots. I hope they will be helpful to you and others.

        researchguides.net rootsweb.com SteveMorse.org jewishgen.org findmypast.com feefhs.org whatwasthere.com cizarik.com cgsi.org homepages.bmi.net/jjaso/

        brightsolid Dvorzsa'k Gazetteer Lazarus Hungarian maps USGIS geneology University of Pittsburgh, PA, library for an Index of Coronors' Reports for Allegheny Co., PA.

        They also suggested investigating : Voter lists, Revision lists for taxes, Nobility records, City directories, Business records, Notary records, Military passport, Draft Eligibility records, Military discharge, Church census records, Land records, and Estate inventories.

        Lisa highly recommended Bill Tarkulich's "Slovakia Genealogy Research Strategies", and suggested that we should join a society such as SH&FSI, CGSI, or a similar ethnic organization.

        I bought her book "Finding Your Slovak Ancestors" by Lisa A. Alzo. I'm sure it will provide even more avenues to investigate.

        This should keep us busy for a few lifetimes. All in all, it was a day well-spent.

        Sandra Sileo
      • genmom4
        Message 3 of 4 , May 3, 2012
          I'd like to follow up on Sandra's post regarding the Slavic Roots Seminar.
          I want to thank her for posting the original announcement. I was able to attend with a friend, and I thought that it was extremely informative.

          We learned quite a bit, and what surprised me, was that the seminar was free! Really, you can't ask for more than that, considering that we all received handouts and snacks as well.

          In addition to what Sandra has mentioned, there were a couple of other strategies that I had not considered as sources.

          Parish Histories. Apparently it was common for churches to publish histories. I have not investigated this too much, but I have seen some online for various churches. This would be worth investigating on the US side for info.

          Union applications: when someone filled out an application, place of birth was included.

          Ethnic papers for obituaries, etc. Different ethnicities published their own papers, in their own language announcing important life events.

          It was brought to our attention that many immigrants came through Canada. If the price for sailing was cheaper, then they would take the route through canada. They offered this website: www.CollectionsCanada.ca

          Sandra mentioned the Findmypast.com website. Apparently there is an indexed list of departures from England, Many emigrants sailed via England as part of their route to the US.

          Passport applications (United States) are searchable online until 1925.

          Finally, Lisa mentioned a great tool of which I was unaware.
          The familysearch.org website offeres a wiki site.
          www.wiki.familysearch.org
          A box will pop up. Merely enter Slovakia, and all kinds of tips for finding your Slovak ancestors will show up. You can read through those of interest for tips.

          Good luck on searching!

          Barbara

          --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "snowball" <sandrasileo@...> wrote:

          > Hi Vera,
          >
          > I recently attended the Slavic Roots Seminar in Philadelphia, Pa, that I had mentioned earlier. Following are some of the sources Lisa and the other speakers mentioned to help us research our family roots. I hope they will be helpful to you and others.
          >
          > researchguides.net rootsweb.com SteveMorse.org jewishgen.org findmypast.com feefhs.org whatwasthere.com cizarik.com cgsi.org homepages.bmi.net/jjaso/
          >
          > brightsolid Dvorzsa'k Gazetteer Lazarus Hungarian maps USGIS geneology University of Pittsburgh, PA, library for an Index of Coronors' Reports for Allegheny Co., PA.
          >
          > They also suggested investigating : Voter lists, Revision lists for taxes, Nobility records, City directories, Business records, Notary records, Military passport, Draft Eligibility records, Military discharge, Church census records, Land records, and Estate inventories.
          >
          > Lisa highly recommended Bill Tarkulich's "Slovakia Genealogy Research Strategies", and suggested that we should join a society such as SH&FSI, CGSI, or a similar ethnic organization.
          >
          > I bought her book "Finding Your Slovak Ancestors" by Lisa A. Alzo. I'm sure it will provide even more avenues to investigate.
          >
          > This should keep us busy for a few lifetimes. All in all, it was a day well-spent.
          >
          > Sandra Sileo

        • Julie Mark
          Message 4 of 4 , May 3, 2012
            Thanks Barbara for posting this. I hadn't thought of union applications.
            Do you know where one could find these? I suppose my great grandfather
            could have been a member of the union as he worked in the steel mills - does
            anyone agree/disagree with that?

            Julie