Evanko- Nova Ves Baptismal records?

  • AnnieW
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 9, 2012
      hello all,
      I just got my hands on a great grandmother's, Elizabeth Kmetz, death certificate. It lists her maiden name as Evanko. Parents George Evanko mother Mary Desatnik, all said to be born in Novaves "Czecho"slovakia (she died in 1935). It says her birthday was October 17, 1877 but as I have found from searching other family members these dates dont always stay consistent.

      I know while living yonkers they attended a catholic church. Id love if anyone could direct me to how I may be able to find any baptismal records!
    • John
      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 9, 2012
        There is a raft of instances of Nova Ves. Can you provide any clues that would help figure out which Nova Ves?

        By [catholic], I assume that you mean Roman Catholic.

        --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "AnnieW" <annduardo@...> wrote:

        > hello all,
        > I just got my hands on a great grandmother's, Elizabeth Kmetz, death certificate. It lists her maiden name as Evanko. Parents George Evanko mother Mary Desatnik, all said to be born in Novaves "Czecho"slovakia (she died in 1935). It says her birthday was October 17, 1877 but as I have found from searching other family members these dates dont always stay consistent.
        >
        > I know while living yonkers they attended a catholic church. Id love if anyone could direct me to how I may be able to find any baptismal records!

      • helene cincebeaux
        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 9, 2012
          Hi Annie -

          I have one listing for Desatnik in the Slovak Pride data base and it is from Ruska Nova Ves - checked the Slovak phone book and only one Desatnik listed and in of all places Ruska Nova Ves - if you would liked to contact the person who listed the Desatnik surname - she was on one of our trips and visited there - e mail me directly at helenezx@...

          helene

          Message 4 of 9 , Mar 9, 2012
            PS just noticed my traveler also listed Ivanko which is likely how your Evanko was spelled in the old country. Sounds like you might well be connected.

            helene

            Message 5 of 9 , Mar 9, 2012
              Yes, my apologies Roman Catholic... Too bad, I didnt know there was more than one or that could be referencing more than one place, all the record says is Novaves Czechoslovakia. I don't know much about them other than that they spoke Slovak and were Roman Catholics attended Most Holy Trinity Church of Yonkers, very involved in the Catholic Slovak club... but this is the first time I found anything hinting to where they came from..

              Message 6 of 9 , Mar 9, 2012
                >>> a great grandmother's, Elizabeth Kmetz, death certificate. It lists her maiden name as Evanko. Parents George Evanko mother Mary Desatnik, all said to be born in Novaves "Czecho"slovakia. . . birthday was October 17, 1877 <<<

                The surname DESATNIK only appears in one place in Slovakia in the 1995 census. IVANKO also appears there. DESIATNIK spelling also appears in the same village (more times).

                Priezvisko DESATNIK sa na Slovensku v roku 1995 nachádzalo 1×, celkový počet lokalít: 1, v lokalitách:
                RUSKÁ NOVÁ VES, okr. PREŠOV – 1×;

                Priezvisko IVANKO sa na Slovensku v roku 1995
                RUSKÁ NOVÁ VES, okr. PREŠOV – 12×;

                Priezvisko KMEC sa na Slovensku v roku 1995
                SOLIVAR (obec PREŠOV), okr. PREŠOV – 8×;

                Solivar is 4 km west of Ruska Nova Ves.

                Cisarik confirms that all the relevant surnames occur in Ruska Nova Ves in 2005 records.

                LDS has Roman Catholic parish register of births, marriages, and deaths for Solivar, Slovakia; formerly Német-Soóvar, Sáros, Hungary.

                Inv. c. 1126 Krsty 1872-1882. LDS film #1793892
                Inv. c. 1129 (pokrač.) Manželstvá, úmrtia 1863 -- Krsty, manželstvá, úmrtia 1864-1886. LDS film #1793903 Item 1

                As nearly as I can determine, these particular films have been digitized but have yet to be posted online. Therefor, you need to order the film and research it at your nearest LDS family History Center.

                LDS also has Greek Catholic parish registers of baptisms, marriages, and deaths for Ruská Nová Ves (Prešov), Slovakia; formerly Soósujfalu, Sáros, Hungary.

                Good luck!
              • William C. Wormuth
                Message 7 of 9 , Mar 9, 2012
                  Desatnik [Dehsaht-neek] -  Ruská Nová Ves

                  http://www.zoznam.sk/hladaj.fcgi?co=telzoznam&s=Desatnik&mesto=&ulica=&psc=0&uto=&net_fixed=1&net_mobile=1&net_alt=1

                  Ivanko [EEvahn-koh] - Ruská Nová Ves

                  ttp://www.zoznam.sk/hladaj.fcgi?co=telzoznam&s=Ivanko&mesto=&ulica=&psc=0&uto=&net_fixed=1&net_mobile=1&net_alt=1

                  38 year old Michal [Mee-khal] Desatnik from Ruská Nová Ves
                  came through Ellis in August 15 1923 aboard the Minnehkahda, from Hamburg.

                  Ruská Nová Ves:  http://www.ruskanovaves.sk/

                  Churches:

                  Greek Catholic Church Chrám Presvätej Bohorodičky
                  [Prehsveht-ehee Boho-rohdeech-kah] Church of Virgin Mary

                  Bl. P. Márie Sedembolestnej [Bl. Pah-nah Mahree-ah

                  sehdem-bohlehest-nehee].  Seven Sorrows of Our Lady Mary

                  Have fun!

                  Z Bohom,

                  Vilo

                  ________________________________
                  I just got my hands on a great grandmother's, Elizabeth Kmetz, death certificate. It lists her maiden name as Evanko. Parents George Evanko mother Mary Desatnik, all said to be born in Novaves "Czecho"slovakia (she died in 1935). It says her birthday was October 17, 1877 but as I have found from searching other family members these dates dont always stay consistent.

                  I know while living yonkers they attended a catholic church. Id love if anyone could direct me to how I may be able to find any baptismal records!

                • John H. Beach
                  Message 8 of 9 , Mar 10, 2012
                    Annie,

                    I just sent you 2 emails with some Kmetz information for you and Most
                    Holy Trinity Church in Yonkers, NY.

                    --
                    Kind Regards,

                    John H. Beach