Re: Zalmanovce

  • frankur@att.net
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 23, 2001
      --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@y..., "Ron Roskos" <rslb@s...> wrote:
      > I am looking for someone who is familiar with the village of
      Zalmanovce, Slovakia or where I can find information about the village
      on the net. My ggrandfather came from this village, his name is
      listed in the USA as Joseph Roskos, but in Slovakia it is Josef
      Polacek. His fathers name was Mickala Polacek, and his mothers name
      was Zuzanna Gabanyi. If anyone has any information or could find
      either birth,church, or baptismal records or family members that I
      could communicate with. I would appreciate it very much.

      > Thanks,
      >
      > Ron Roskos
      > rslb@s...

      Z^elmanovce (Sv) Zsálmány (H) is located 208 miles ENE of Bratislava
      and 11 miles NE of Pres^ov (Sv) Eperjes (H)
      Highly unlikely there is any information about such a small village
      on the Web.
      There are other small villages nearby as well, Dukovce, Kuková,etc.
      Think Z^elmanovce-Dukovce is now one village.
      Their inhabitants might be lucky to even have a telephone ?
      Would suppose there is little opportunity for earning a livelhood
      in small villages today.

      The Slovakia telephone directory lists 10 surname Polác^ek under
      Pres^ov.
      The directory also lists 3 surname Gabányi (which looks Hungarian)
      under Pres^ov.

      What was surname religion ? R.C. G.C. or Lutheran ?

      Hungarian English
      rk.-RK. római katholikus Roman Catholic
      ag. AG. ágostai Evangelical (Lutheran)
      izr. IZR. izraelita Israelite (Jewish)