Re: [S-R] Translation help please

  • Ben Sorensen
    Message 1 of 14 , Mar 6 8:36 AM
      Aunt Olena and her little girl Erza.

      ________________________________
      From: spoppclark <spoppclark@...>
      To: SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Tuesday, March 6, 2012 11:15 AM
      Subject: [S-R] Translation help please

      I have a photograph sent from Europe to my family in the US - probably in the 1930s - with the following caption on the back:

      "tutka Olena i yeyi divka Eerza"

      I believe it's written in Ruthenian/Rusyn - certainly not in modern Slovak for Google Translate can't do much with it. I understand divka, but tutka is new to me.

      Thanks much for any help!

    • William C. Wormuth
      Message 2 of 14 , Mar 6 8:39 AM
        Here is Olena [Ohleh-nah], nickname for Helena [Hehleh-nah], (Helen) and her girl Erza [Ehrr-zhah], (Hungarian for Elizabeth).

        Z Bohom,

        Vilo

        ________________________________
        Message 3 of 14 , Mar 6 10:15 AM
          Hello,

          While surfing to do researching came across a web-site for translations.
          Didn't open it ,but said for translations. It is
          www.ReferenceBoss.com<http://www.referenceboss.com/>.

          Trusting it will be beneficial to you! :)

          Vera

        • William C. Wormuth
          Message 4 of 14 , Mar 6 1:45 PM
          • t.salony
            Message 5 of 14 , Mar 6 3:04 PM
              Maybe it's not a great idea to be passing on a website that you've never even opened or used, especially since a download is required to use it?

              TOM

              --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, vera holman <veracious.h@...> wrote:

              > Hello,
              >
              > While surfing to do researching came across a web-site for translations.
              > Didn't open it ,but said for translations. It is
              > www.ReferenceBoss.com<http://www.referenceboss.com/>.
              >
              > Trusting it will be beneficial to you! :)
              >
              > Vera

            • spoppclark
              Message 6 of 14 , Mar 7 7:56 AM
                Thank you, Ben! Now to figure out just who Olena is....

                Message 7 of 14 , Mar 7 7:58 AM
                  Many thanks, Vilo!