Translation help please

  • spoppclark
    Message 1 of 14 , Mar 6 8:15 AM
      I have a photograph sent from Europe to my family in the US - probably in the 1930s - with the following caption on the back:

      "tutka Olena i yeyi divka Eerza"

      I believe it's written in Ruthenian/Rusyn - certainly not in modern Slovak for Google Translate can't do much with it. I understand divka, but tutka is new to me.

      Thanks much for any help!
    • Ben Sorensen
      Message 2 of 14 , Mar 6 8:36 AM
        Aunt Olena and her little girl Erza.

        ________________________________
        I have a photograph sent from Europe to my family in the US - probably in the 1930s - with the following caption on the back:

        "tutka Olena i yeyi divka Eerza"

        I believe it's written in Ruthenian/Rusyn - certainly not in modern Slovak for Google Translate can't do much with it. I understand divka, but tutka is new to me.

        Thanks much for any help!

      • William C. Wormuth
        Message 3 of 14 , Mar 6 8:39 AM
          Here is Olena [Ohleh-nah], nickname for Helena [Hehleh-nah], (Helen) and her girl Erza [Ehrr-zhah], (Hungarian for Elizabeth).

          Z Bohom,

          Vilo

          ________________________________
          Message 4 of 14 , Mar 6 10:15 AM
            Hello,

            While surfing to do researching came across a web-site for translations.
            Didn't open it ,but said for translations. It is
            www.ReferenceBoss.com<http://www.referenceboss.com/>.

            Trusting it will be beneficial to you! :)

            Vera

          • William C. Wormuth
            Message 5 of 14 , Mar 6 1:45 PM
            • t.salony
              Message 6 of 14 , Mar 6 3:04 PM
                Maybe it's not a great idea to be passing on a website that you've never even opened or used, especially since a download is required to use it?

                TOM

                --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, vera holman <veracious.h@...> wrote:

                > Hello,
                >
                > While surfing to do researching came across a web-site for translations.
                > Didn't open it ,but said for translations. It is
                > www.ReferenceBoss.com<http://www.referenceboss.com/>.
                >
                > Trusting it will be beneficial to you! :)
                >
                > Vera

              • spoppclark
                Message 7 of 14 , Mar 7 7:56 AM
                  Thank you, Ben! Now to figure out just who Olena is....

                  Message 8 of 14 , Mar 7 7:58 AM
                    Many thanks, Vilo!